Z Best Yet: BMW moves closer to Boxster territory with the new Z4

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I wish I liked the lines of the car better. :(
I wish it was faster too :(

Why don't they bring back the M-Roadster?

Car - 0-60
Z4 - 5.9 sec
M Roadster - 5.3 sec
Porsche Boxster S - 5.5 sec

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: AudiPorsche
too bad the z4 looks like ass.

After looking at it in person ive flipped my opinion on this car....

Edit: It says the same thing in the article... ""The Z4 looks better in the flesh than in photos. The lines make more sense in three dimensions than they do in two. If you add driving, which makes, what, a fourth dimension, it?s even better.""

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I wish I liked the lines of the car better. :(
I wish it was faster too :(

Why don't they bring back the M-Roadster?

Give BMW a year or two and I'm sure they'll have a M4.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Whether or not a BMW Z4 ///M Roadster will appear has been the topic of heated discussion over at RoadFly.org. Although BMW management hasn't said anything directly, they've hinted at the possibility. Most importantly, there is a lot of room under the hood of a Z4, so most think BMW will use the 400hp V8 instead of the 333hp I6. This would make sense since the next-gen M3 will use that V8 too. It would be nice to see the 333hp engine find itself under the hood of the next high-end, non-M 3-series.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Now if only the Z4 had the same physical beauty of the Boxster. Of course, I'm sure that you'll all ignore my opinion on styling since I think that the 914 was a beautiful car. :p

ZV

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Whether or not a BMW Z4 ///M Roadster will appear has been the topic of heated discussion over at RoadFly.org. Although BMW management hasn't said anything directly, they've hinted at the possibility. Most importantly, there is a lot of room under the hood of a Z4, so most think BMW will use the 400hp V8 instead of the 333hp I6. This would make sense since the next-gen M3 will use that V8 too. It would be nice to see the 333hp engine find itself under the hood of the next high-end, non-M 3-series.

I would be very, very surprised if a V8 ended up in the Z4.

The M3's current 6 would be a great choice, but they already have the Z8 using the M5's V8.

Viper GTS

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

The M3's current 6 would be a great choice, but they already have the Z8 using the M5's V8.

I agree. I would like to see the displacement increased on the current M3. They are having alot of engine problems with them.

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
As I usually write...

WE NEED AN AUTOMOBILE TOPIC CATEGORY!!! :)

That way those of us that want to discuss cars and car technology won't have to surf the rest of the Off Topic category.
-PCM

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS
Agreed.

I would think the M5 V8 would throw off the weight balance considerably in a car that small.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Whether or not a BMW Z4 ///M Roadster will appear has been the topic of heated discussion over at RoadFly.org. Although BMW management hasn't said anything directly, they've hinted at the possibility. Most importantly, there is a lot of room under the hood of a Z4, so most think BMW will use the 400hp V8 instead of the 333hp I6.
Doesn't all the empty space actually serve a purpose though? That purpose being to have more of the engine weight behind the front wheels so the car is balanced better => handles better?

Could be wrong...there's a lot of emptiness under my hood too...I keep spare undies in there :)

p.s. Z4 looks better in person but still resembles a dog from the side and a sad clown from the front to me...

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Its also moved into the boxster price range. Basically one sweet car thats just not worth the money. Just like that silly NSX.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Finality
Its also moved into the boxster price range. Basically one sweet car thats just not worth the money. Just like that silly NSX.
Just wondering...how many NSX's have you driven?