Z-5500 5.1 or Onkyo AVR TX-NR609 w/ 2.1 (SP-BS22 and BIC F12)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Still got the old Logitech kicking around for sound, but there's a chance I could swap it out for some (less) old AVR equipment.

This Onkyo ( http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR609&class=Receiver&source=prodClass ) is from around 2011 and was paired up with the BIC F12 at that time to run two house audio systems. The sub was used to complete a built in 5.1 in the entertainment room, and they had stereo speakers in the ceiling of every other room (I think 10 total).

Anyway, that house was sold a few months back and they took the TV, AVR, and sub with them for temporary use in an apartment, adding the pair of SP-BS22 for 2.1. They are now preparing for the final move out of country and will not be taking this stuff along, selling everything they own. The plan was to sell this setup for $300 (cost of the speakers/sub, free AVR w/ cables etc) to an individual I know, but their housing and financial situation is uncertain so they may not be able to make the purchase (or not afford as much).

I was thinking about it and realized the individual parts are probably better than those from the Z-5500 I have and I could easily get $200 for it (maybe selling it to that individual as a cheaper option). They were willing to sell the 2.1 setup to me at a reduced price of $250. While I'd be loosing speaker count, it may actually be a good cheap upgrade. Also it would have the potential for further upgrade at some point, adding in some tower speakers or whatnot and moving those bookshelves to the rear.

So what say you guys?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Related question: Were there other speakers that were meant to be matched with the SP-BS22, or are they just a simple standalone product?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers
looks like you could pair more sp-bs22 or the fs52 floorstanding or sp-bs22a if you want some omni-directional bookshelf fronts or something.

It's a good deal, but nothing ground breaking considering it's used. The pioneer sp-bs22 are ~ $130 per pair new, I see a pair on craigslist for $60 used though ymmv, the onkyo is a ~$150 receiver used on ebay at this point, and the bic f12 is about $200 new and used. Everything here is expensive to ship due to size and weight. Add ~ $10 for cabling, and you get a set up with a used value of ~$330 after removing the shipping costs. To be fair, it'd be hard to find most of that locally though.

they're definitely higher end than the z-5500 though.

if you're ok with the receiver missing hdmi 2.0 for 4k 60Hz support, then go ahead. Hdmi 2.1 will eventually be out for 4k @ 120Hz and might support Variable Refresh Rate, so I guess it's not really worth spending ~$250+ now on a new hdmi 2.0 spec receiver though.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I think you did the math wrong: BS22 pair $60 - Onkyo $150 - F12 lets say $150 used. Plus some high quality cables, that's at least $360
They were going to sell it at $300, or $250 for me. I also know the BS22s are basically new, and the F12 hasn't been pushed hard at all.
I wasn't questioning the deal so much as I was questioning if I should hijack said deal when I had already offered it to somebody else...and whether it was worth the money to upgrade over my Z-5500 (was the 2.1 really $250 better than my old 5.1).

If I can sell my Z-5500 for $200 though, the partial upgrade is only $50...so I decided to go for it. While I was researching I actually stumbled on some FS52's for cheap, so that was also part of my decision to just go for it...now it's a full upgrade 5.1. I've had my Z-5500 for 13-15 years, I figure I can finally upgrade and then keep this setup for another 15 years. I doubt the receiver will last, but that's a replaceable part.

I've never bought a TV in my life (meaning I don't have one). The only TV I've ever had was the old tube jobs with antennas when I was a kid.

I bought myself a top of the line CRT monitor before moving out and have been using it ever since. Problem is I just upgraded to a new GPU and it's no longer compatible with my CRT...so I'm going to have to get an LCD of some type. I'm currently using an old, literally broken LCD from 2006 that I got for free.

Basically the receiver will be doing nothing but sound, I don't care at all about the HDMI and other junk. There's a good chance I'll be getting a cheap TV or something for temporary to replace this broken LCD...but the computer will be running it all. Not sure how I'll hook up the sound to the PC, but I do have an optical out, which might be the best way.