YouTube... WTF

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I mean just producing a video to upload to YouTube is way more work than it looks. I just shit post here.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
"Content" comes in all different quality levels ... even the worst, most boring thing you've ever read/watched in your life is STILL technically "content".

;)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I can't be bothered to edit all the home videos I shot for crying out loud.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm on chrome using adblocker and still no ads. The ads try to load. I see how long each ad was supposed to be if I happen to be looking at the video timer area when it first loads, but then it moves immediately to the next ad (if there were supposed to be two) and then right to the video.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
I've been using FF with U-block Origin to visit YouTube on a daily basis. Blocking all my ads. Never been shown any ultimatum notices on the topic of ads. Wonder if my hosts file is affecting things.

But today, YTube just stopped showing content. Pages would load the correct background color but only showed gray rectangles for placeholders - no rows of thumbnails, no text. I figured it was glitching and I'd try later. But an hour later when I tried again to access YouTube, it still refused to load any video thumbnails. Showed me the site with an empty background, no alert or notice of any kind to explain the situation.
I started suspecting YT of being a little bitch over my ad blocker - U-block. So I went to see how updated UBlock was, it was version 1.53 - and the update to 1.54 was pending a browser restart. I hadn't restarted my browser for a week. Naturally I shut down Firefox and restarted - U-block updated itself to 1.54. Of course I immediately hit up YouTube and . .. it worked normally.

Everything's fine.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
YT really seems to be a bit more aggressive in trying to block it, I see it act all glitchy at times then still load the video but it's the 2nd time now where I do in fact get blocked for a few hours until ublock pushes a fix.

I'm starting to think they are going to just say FU and start terminating accounts lol. Either that or copystriking accounts, they might give you a few chances first. But I'm not giving in and disabling my blocker, and while I *WAS* considering premium way before this started, I am not going to get it now, I don't want to show them that I gave in. I'm stubborn like that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
now I am getting something went wrong when I go to subscriptions in both FF and Brave. and I don't have uBlock Origin on FF.
It is still working if I go to the list of channels I subscribe, just not the collated subscriptions page

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
lol now those are gone as well, I guess Google is serious.

humm, collated subscriptions is now back, maybe they are doing some updates and didn't bother to say so?