YouTube should be renamed "Game of Trolls"

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
A girl and guy were together. The guy got more hardened political views as he did more of his own research, his liberal girlfriend didn't agree with him. They broke up. The right is bad, evil.

Think I got it covered?

Nov 8, 2012

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
YouTube is a cult supermarket who's unintentional primary function is to get people to believe the exact opposite of demonstrable reality.

It should be renamed Game of Trolls.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/youtube-red-pill-men-right-wing-hate-radicalization

I'm far from unshakable in my conviction about it, but I am really reluctant to believe changes like that in the article come about just because of youtube videos. I suspect they were 'pushing at an open door'. Real world conditions and circumstances are more important, in my opinion. People, vaguely normal people anyway, aren't infinitely malleable receptacles for bad propaganda. There's something else going on to produce people like the bf in the article.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'm far from unshakable in my conviction about it, but I am really reluctant to believe changes like that in the article come about just because of youtube videos. I suspect they were 'pushing at an open door'. Real world conditions and circumstances are more important, in my opinion. People, vaguely normal people anyway, aren't infinitely malleable receptacles for bad propaganda. There's something else going on to produce people like the bf in the article.
Agree to disagree. Look at Fox. Mass cult indoctrination of masses of people. We are all the same apes, if your skull was blasted with that shit as a primary source of news information.. I am betting change would occur.
Social media shaped into a weapon of malicious free speech turned against its creators, all course our advisaries are afraid of our freedom. We might have to tighten the free speech belt a notch or two before it can be better again.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Youtube is great. Whenever I'm trying to figure out how to fix something, that is my first go-to site-and it is truly amazing how many great step by step videos right on point I've found there. It's also great for music-including tons of unofficial live recordings.

As far as getting news, political analysis or the like from ANY social media-be it youtube, facebook, twitter or the like-they are all absolute swamps and I ignore them like the plague they are.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't post there. But it sounds like a good place.

That’s funny, considering it engages in all the things you complain about here. (Bubble thinking, banning of nonconforming viewpoints, etc.)

No shock that you’re a hypocrite there as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

While I agree that people need to be open to this sort of suggestion to begin with there are indications that YouTube is a primary vehicle for injecting those nonsense opinions. For example there’s this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-flat-earth-conspiracy-youtube-20190218-story.html

Lead researcher Asheley Landrum said her team conducted interviews with 30 attendees at two annual Flat Earther conferences and all but one attendee had become convinced that the Earth was a flat disc hurtling through space because of YouTube videos.

Surely not definitive but it does suggest that people take the dumb videos they see on YouTube more seriously than they should. I mean we have had right wing idiots on here repeatedly try to post YouTube videos as some sort of proof.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That’s funny, considering it engages in all the things you complain about here. (Bubble thinking, banning of nonconforming viewpoints, etc.)

No shock that you’re a hypocrite there as well.

I don't post there, did you misread?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
YouTube is a reflection of what you search for. My landing page is typically a mix of guitar covers, music videos from the 80s/90s, clips of Star Wars lightsaber duels/space battles and Monty Python skits.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This article, combined with the documentary "The brainwashing of my Dad" about the effect of Fox News and you begin to see the effects these have had on people.

And yes, the usual suspects have shown up to defend the cult of bullshit they believe in.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
YouTube is a reflection of what you search for. My landing page is typically a mix of guitar covers, music videos from the 80s/90s, clips of Star Wars lightsaber duels/space battles and Monty Python skits.

Actually, no. It is not. It will throw in conspiracy videos for no particular reason. This has been shown and is something YouTube is supposedly addressing now.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That is a huge problem with targeted marketing, though. It allows people to form a bubble around themselves without even realizing it. You watch a few conspiracy videos on YouTube, then all of sudden half your suggested videos are conspiracies. The more you watch, the worse it gets.

At least YouTube has a lot of good educational videos and how-to's, etc. So it is very useful for normal people too, not just a giant cesspool like Facebook.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Actually, no. It is not. It will throw in conspiracy videos for no particular reason. This has been shown and is something YouTube is supposedly addressing now.
This is true. I watch a lot of science videos and some random event/place history videos. The all of sudden it'll suggest a handful of whack job videos and will keep pushing them until I tell it to never show them again.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This is true. I watch a lot of science videos and some random event/place history videos. The all of sudden it'll suggest a handful of whack job videos and will keep pushing them until I tell it to never show them again.
I observed this too, but to their credit, it did suggest nonsense from extremists of multiple flavors.

Debating whether credit ought to be in quotes...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Ah, I see what you are whining about now. Didn't understand your whining at first, now it is clear why you are whining.
Trrrrrrriggerrrred.....
Oh I get it... you are that "special" boy in that piece arent you?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I’ve honestly never had this happen