YouTube Must Give All User Histories To Viacom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Evidently the reason they requested this info is to bolster their contention that copyrighted material is much more popular than non-copyrighted material, not to sue everyone who has watched any of these videos.......

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
There is no doubt that youtube is nearly identical to Napster... but Google actualy stores all the data

Youtube removes all material when asked to do so by someone who identifies themselves as the copyright holder, and also has some sort of program that will recognize if someone tries to upload the same file. That's a lot different that Napster's non-involvement.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Jmman
Evidently the reason they requested this info is to bolster their contention that copyrighted material is much more popular than non-copyrighted material, not to sue everyone who has watched any of these videos.......

Yeah, suing for watching is not going to happen. Only the uploaders would be in any real danger, even is suing was part of the plan.

The disturbing part of this whole thing is why the judge felt it was reasonable to include IP addresses and usernames. Viacom could just as easily prove their point by getting anonymous logs of which movies were watched the most.

Viacom wins if they get this. The marketing data they would get from this has much more potential than any winnings they could get from youtube.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They cannot sue users and won't because many of us don't know it's copyrighted. Now, many of us do and watch anyway but oh well. youtube has basically all the music I ever need although quality can be iffy.

The judge gave IPs because perhaps he was technically ignorant? Who knows...

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Genx87
They going to take the RIAA's approach to dealing with their customers? I think we all have seen what that leads to. CD sales off by 30% in the last 3 years. Let them dig their own grave. The way I see it, google is only providing the shovel.

Any evidence that the 30% decline isn't due to the piracy technology becoming improved/more widely used, and the RIAA efforts didn't keep it down to only 30%?
I always suspected it's due to the fact that consumers can now buy the few tracks they actually want on iTunes instead of shelling out $15 for a CD. If you look at the numbers, more people are legally purchasing digital tracks than ever before. RIAA can claim lower album sales because they count 10 single-track downloads as one album. Based on the above assumption, I believe that methodology is flawed. If they counted two or three songs as a single album, the data would show that album sales are up significantly.

Not to mention there is a lot of money to be made from mobile music and music videos. Consumer needs change; CDs may be dying off, but new, lucrative markets are springing up to replace them.

I don't think the record labels are hurting nearly as bad as they would like people to think.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MagicConch
Why don't they stop keeping logs so there is nothing to give them?

Your joking right?

Everytime you go to google to do a search or go read your mail in gmail all this shit is getting logged.

Google tracks your every move. It sells the data to target ads to you. or sells the data target by location on what you have clicked on.

Also, if you do have gmail, you ever notice how if you talk about say Hawaii, then you get ads on the side for cheap flights to hawaii? Well, yes they are filtering your entire message word for word basically scanning your mail and picking up target ads ... Yes, they are logging your IP and reading your email.

Do you feel better now? Google isn't doing the service for free, They are a zillion dollar company and well, everytime you use their services ... Smile your IP is being logged and your movements are being tracked!

Good Luck, I gotta wonder who's worse? Google Or Viacom, I doubt they will go after the users they just want the data to see how much they can rack up on google and probably use it for other purposes. Data is Worth more then you think! You gotta wonder what they know that WE don't know. I bet there is all kinds of information "gold mines" in that heap of IP address's just waiting to be sold to the highest bidder.

Edit
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And don't think Microsoft and Yahoo arn't doing the same thing.. And GASP!

Anadtech I am sure is tracking and logging your IP as you post these messages. No one cares thos, So easy to give up our privacy.

One day privacy will be very valuable and everyone won't think twice about grabbing an PGP key to send an email. I am really surprised that Gmail has not implemented it automatically, and I am sure that will be the next big thing in the near future.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
WOW...I wish Google would somehow "have an employee accidentally delete all that information"
This is ridiculous IMO. I can't count the times I type in something I want to see only to have it removed by Viacom and I thought "DAMN they EVEN had the rights to that?!?!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Ever notice that Google has changed the look on it's home page? They new add a privacy link to it. Hmmm, I wonder how many people are getting cold feet by visiting google.com?