youth vote

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
how big is the youth vote going to be compared to 2004? I think it's going to be huge, possibly outlive expectations.

IF you remember, I think we had huge expectations in 2004 for the youth vote but it just didn't turn out (Probably because they couldn't get exceited over John Kerry's rigidness)
But I've noticed a huge movement and activism this time around.

I haven't heard anyone talk about the youth vote this year at all yet, could this be the dark horse of the campaign?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Go ask Howard Dean that question.

It has been pushed so many times anyone who believes it is a fool.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

...but this time they will vote!!!

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

...but this time they will vote!!!

Youth vote hasn't even been considered until the 2004 election, you make it sound like the Youth vote has asked to step up for decades when in fact it's only been 2004 and then the mid-term elections.

I would venture a guess to say that it made a difference for mid-term elections

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If Obama's ground game lives up, it will be off the charts.

As a relatively young person, I can honestly say I see more people excited about Obama and interested in voting than ever before. Doesn't mean they will vote, but I do see the excitement and interest.

What's interesting is none of the polling really reflects young voters in America. 90% of us don't have land lines, which is still the primary form of interviewing. But, we all thought the young people would vote in '04 and it never happened so we'll just have to see.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When's the election again?
Yesterday.
Ah crap. Who won?
The albino monk.

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
Of all the youth around me, only the bible humpers are voting Mccain

the others have Obama up their ass

then there are the few who don't give a shit.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
The youth don't vote. The hose everyone that counts on them.

The campaign will continue negative for the next 5 weeks, alienating those that had their hopes up that it wouldn't be politics as usual.

And yeah, check with Howard Dean about how well the youth vote works in real life.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Anything to get the warmongering evangelicals out of there.. please.. just give us some peace

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
The "youth vote" was supposed to be off-the-charts in 2004. It never materialized. I doubt this it will this year, as well.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: dahunan
Anything to get the warmongering evangelicals out of there.. please.. just give us some peace

:roll: Oh brother...

I'll take righteous and good over peace for peace's sake anytime.

Back to the topic, I get the sense the excitement over Obama is fading fast. Their campaign seems totally out of sync now that Palin has stolen the spotlight. (Woot!)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Wait the Iraq War was righteous and good? Because you'll be getting more of the same from McSame if you vote him into office.

This country needs sound and INTELLIGENT leadership. McSame offers nothing new in this regard over Bush, his platform is damn near identical which is why he refuses to talk about it on the campaign trail. It's all about either Palin or attacking Obama/Biden.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The only thing that gets young people out to vote in masses is the Draft.

Obama will turnout MORE youth voters than Kerry, but that is because he is a superstar amongst young Americans. They, rather we, all love him. Whether or not that equates to any meaningful success in key battleground states is anyone's guess. But it can't hurt.

Obama is going to need the youth vote, the black vote, and the support of Democrats everywhere if he stands a chance at winning these key battleground states.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
There's been talk about the "youth vote" as long as I can remember. My first vote was in 1974. It's either never materialised or they have pretty much voted in the same numbers and same parties as most other Americans. As far is the draft is concerned it seems to me that the last attempt to reinstate the draft was legislation introduced by Charles Rangel (D) in the House and Fritz Hollings (D) in the Senate back in 2004 or so.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
^Agreed. The youth vote is often talked about but never really materializes.

I would say this though, Barack is the 1st candidate from either party in a LONG time that seriously appeals to young America.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The fact that young people don't vote is the biggest reason that old people are able to fuck them through deficit spending.