You're on a desert island, no way to get off, with 10 cases of liquor from your boat...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Originally posted by: Chryso
I recently became allergic to alcohol.
Thank you for bringing up that painful subject. :(

Technically not possible. Probably reacting to other ingredients/byproducts of fermentation if it is indeed an allergic reaction.

I know someone who claims to be allergic to ethanol. She works in a lab and said she tested herself after the doctor told her by spraying a bit of ethanol on her skin and sure enough she got a rash.

To get a true allergic reaction (a type I hypersensitivity) a molecule must bind IgE antibodies (and usually just in the variable region) and cause degranulation of mast cells and/or basophils. Ethanol can't do that, it's just too small, it won't bind specifically to IgE, it can't be presented in MHC class II, it diffuses through membranes etc. etc.

There might be other reactions happening (caused by ethanol), there might be congeners with the alcohol that cause an allergic reaction etc... but not a real type I hypersensitivity.

What about the alcohol dehydrognase (sp?)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Glenfiddich 30 year

Ever tried Glenkinchie?

I'll have a scotch on the rocks, please. Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt, Glen Livet, Glen Galley, perhaps, any glen will do.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
whatever burns well, to start the fire with

well your looking at everclear
have fun drinking that one straight. :p

that or 151, still a bitch to sip on straight. then again, i ain't no fan of rums.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Glenfiddich 30 year

Ever tried Glenkinchie?

I'll have a scotch on the rocks, please. Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt, Glen Livet, Glen Galley, perhaps, any glen will do.

Glenlivet is a good one.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Glenfiddich 30 year

Ever tried Glenkinchie?

You're so money --- and you don't even know it.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: FoBoT
whatever burns well, to start the fire with

well your looking at everclear
have fun drinking that one straight. :p

that or 151, still a bitch to sip on straight. then again, i ain't no fan of rums.

151 is the best straight sippin there is. Bang for the buck, good taste...mmmmmmmm.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
I'll trade 5 cases for 5 oz.
But it would have to be scotch. Glenlivet would do nicely.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Normally I drink bourbon. But imparting logic to this conundrum I'd pick something that would mix well with the tropical fruits I'd be likely to find on an island and that means rum. So perhaps 4 cases of light rum, 4 cases of golden rum, 1 case of bourbon for straight sipping and a case of everclear for lighting signal fires.

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Normally I drink bourbon. But imparting logic to this conundrum I'd pick something that would mix well with the tropical fruits I'd be likely to find on an island and that means rum. So perhaps 4 cases of light rum, 4 cases of golden rum, 1 case of bourbon for straight sipping and a case of everclear for lighting signal fires.

Logic??? This is alcohol we're talking about!

Good scotch, surprise me with the brand.