"You're fired" - Prince Andrew sacked from the Royal Family

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The 'firm' are quite ruthless. Guess that's what you learn when you've been the ruling elite for a thousand years (give or take a German-inflected reboot or two).

They seem to be running out of males faster than any elite ruling family since GoT's Starks. First Harry defects to the US celebrity circuit, now they have to strip Andy of all his jobs and titles before he embarrassingly gets banged up in a US penitentiary somewhere (maybe in the cell next to Trump?).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
At least they didn't have him killed (yet) like they did Princess Diana. They just won't tolerate ANYONE embarrassing them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK that article is horse shit and you dont know what you're talking about either.
Its standard procedure when a royal is tried for something, so their royal influence cant be used to sway the case. When they get acquitted they are reinstated immediately.
Read a book some time.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
OK that article is horse shit and you dont know what you're talking about either.
Its standard procedure when a royal is tried for something, so their royal influence cant be used to sway the case. When they get acquitted they are reinstated immediately.
Read a book some time.

Shorty, the world press seems to disagree with you...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Royalty is that elite corruption, by nature of its very existence, that society just tolerates cause "hey thats how its always been" and an effective PR machine.

Why the fuck. Would a western democracy. Entertain propping up a group of people with endless currency solely based on a lineage and somewhat keep them accountable to another set of rules than everyone else.

I cannot fathom why "Royalty" has not been cancelled yet. Not cancel culture cancelled, but CANCELLED.

Reactions: pcgeek11

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Royalty is that elite corruption, by nature of its very existence, that society just tolerates cause "hey thats how its always been" and an effective PR machine.

Why the fuck. Would a western democracy. Entertain propping up a group of people with endless currency solely based on a lineage and somewhat keep them accountable to another set of rules than everyone else.

I cannot fathom why "Royalty" has not been cancelled yet. Not cancel culture cancelled, but CANCELLED.

And yet countries that got rid of the monarchy are busy inventing a new form of corrupt ruling elite. Russia has its oligarchs, America has its insanely powerful billionaires.

Reactions: dainthomas

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And yet countries that got rid of the monarchy are busy inventing a new form of corrupt ruling elite. Russia has its oligarchs, America has its insanely powerful billionaires.

And since we know this about our selves we've constructed these ideas about separation of powers, checks and balances, rule of law ... without em we're gonna descend and backslide into that shit every single time.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Did she offer you the good stuff, you know, the Hall's Beer Cheese?
No, I was standing right at the corner of the gate to the castle grounds with a relative I had brought to see the guard and was alerted by a kindly English gentleman and proud lover of royalty that she would be entering the castle via that gate soon. Thus it was that I was in position to take her picture as she drove past behind the bullet proof glass of her chauffeured Rolls Royce just a few feet away.

Owing to the thick glass, alas, I doubt she was able to hear the gift that I called out to her, that even as Queen of England, she still hates herself and that all of the adulation and the contempt of royalty she receives is because we all feel the same. Some aspire to be born to be worshiped and hope that worship rubs off, while others comfort themselves by thoughts that she is no better than they.

I would like to note, however, that the gentleman in his ardent love of the Queen, allowed me to share the experience with the dear one I was with.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Read a book some time.

Where did you get this expertise in what is 'standard procedure' for a Royal potentially facing trial? When did it even last happen? And since when do royal titles sway the US legal system?

He remains in line to the throne, oddly enough. But an improbably large number of others would have to meet an untimely-end for him to make it there, so it seems sadly unlikely to come about that the UK head of state and head of the Church of England ends up being someone cooling his heels in a US jail cell.

At the moment it seems like he's facing financial ruin rather than imprisonment, though I can't say I understand why his plight stops there.

He's long been infamous as being spoiled and entitled, even by the standards of that toxic family.

Reactions: hal2kilo

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
And since we know this about our selves we've constructed these ideas about separation of powers, checks and balances, rule of law ... without em we're gonna descend and backslide into that shit every single time.

Too bad those "checks and balances" are just "suggestions" when they appear to interfere with the Republican agendas.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I don't think those "separation of powers" and "checks and balances" work as advertised. All they seem to do is introduce so many "veto point" into the system that it ensures nothing can ever change, and it ends up as rigid and as dependent on the wishes of long-established vested-interests as any monarchy. (The US has more "veto points" - parts of the system that can prevent changes happening - than any other democracy in the world...that might be why it required a bloody war to achieve something as basic as abolish slavery).

Maybe no system works, or at least none we've yet managed to create.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Well the French cancelled theirs, and once cancelled they _knew_ they'd been cancelled and they _stayed_ cancelled.

Ours came back. Like chicken pox returning as shingles.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I don't think those "separation of powers" and "checks and balances" work as advertised. All they seem to do is introduce so many "veto point" into the system that it ensures nothing can ever change, and it ends up as rigid and as dependent on the wishes of long-established vested-interests as any monarchy. (The US has more "veto points" - parts of the system that can prevent changes happening - than any other democracy in the world...that might be why it required a bloody war to achieve something as basic as abolish slavery).

Maybe no system works, or at least none we've yet managed to create.

Yea, its not perfect… but point to another system that does it better? Basic human rights is something we have ONLY cause we’re able to hold leadership responsible with our votes. See whats happening in the US right now, checks and balances is the only thing that keeps a coup from happening… And they voted Trump out. I mean, lets review the last number of cases where the Russian people tried to vote Putin out.
Perfect? Hell no. But its that weird thing where some people have convinced themselves that shit cant possibly get any worse… Like… are you shitting me??

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Just heard the leader of York city council complaining that Andrew remains Duke of York and saying they are looking into ways of removing that title. Next it'll be people called Andrew demanding he be stripped of the noble name of "Andrew" and he'll just be a blank space.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Well the French cancelled theirs, and once cancelled they _knew_ they'd been cancelled and they _stayed_ cancelled.

Ours came back. Like chicken pox returning as shingles.
The French canceled theirs and the English royals got so upset about it that they attacked France and installed a new version. France had reboot five times to get rid of the crap.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just heard the leader of York city council complaining that Andrew remains Duke of York and saying they are looking into ways of removing that title. Next it'll be people called Andrew demanding he be stripped of the noble name of "Andrew" and he'll just be a blank space.

Just have the Queen change his title to Duke of Yorkies.