your thoughts about the big bang theory?

jammix

Dec 2, 2013
A lot of scientists believe that a big explosion created the universe. You can't have a explosion from nothing. apparently before the big bang everything was a size of a dot and close together and a explosion expanded the galaxy but how and where did the dot come from...?

i'm sure there are things and concepts out there we can't even perceive yet. just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it isn't out there or isn't possible.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
As a theory it's just fine until there's evidence that points against it. As for what caused it, "we don't know yet" is a perfectly valid answer.

As for the tv show: It's fucking stupid.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
There are just too many unanswered questions...

Where did the big bang take place? What was there before the explosion? What exploded? Where did that matter come from?

Religious theories (God created it) leave at least as many questions...and many of the same ones.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I can use that theory to predict the state of the universe very close to the actual event and confirm it with observational data, like the gravitational wave observation just announced. It works well, as a scientific theory should.

BTW the Big Bang was an expansion of space-time not really an explosion in the conventional sense.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
We now have evidence to prove it happened. Just because you don't have the science background to understand something doesn't mean it's unexplainable or in doubt scientifically.

JManInPhoenix

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2013
There are just too many unanswered questions...

Where did the big bang take place? What was there before the explosion? What exploded? Where did that matter come from?

Religious theories (God created it) leave at least as many questions...and many of the same ones.

+1 That is why I stopped pondering creation long ago. What existed before the big bang and/or some intelligent creation? If the big bang occurred 13 to 15 billion years ago, what was going on before that?

Since the big bang is the universally accepted explanation for the creation of the universe, I will go with that for now and ponder no more ...

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
newest evidence strongly supports inflation, so the theory is valid for now. No other credible theory exists.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
A lot of scientists believe that a big explosion created the universe. You can't have a explosion from nothing. apparently before the big bang everything was a size of a dot and close together and a explosion expanded the galaxy but how and where did the dot come from...?

i'm sure there are things and concepts out there we can't even perceive yet. just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it isn't out there or isn't possible.

big bang - big crunch - big bang - big crunch - etc.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Quit worrying about how we got here, start worrying about how fucked up people are.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The theory? Better than anything else that I've heard.

The show? It's horrible. The show is basically "nerd blackface", as it uses every nerd stereotype out there.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Unless I'm mistaken, the latest evidence all but eliminates that from the realm of possibilities.

Ah okay. I just remember what I read back in high school in the early 90s. Obviously not that interested enough to keep following it. I'm not surprised at all that things have changed after more than 20 years :)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like the show ok, but seldom see it. Only when I'm at my mother's house. For the universe, I think it's one of many. When this one tears apart, and sends matter across the... ??? metaverse?, it'll accumulate with all the other matter, and create another universe.