Your opinion on my PSU

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So, I used this thing

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

to calculate my PSU requirements, and it recommended a 1600w, $450 PSU! I am using a nearly 5 year old 1050w PSU and so far its been working. I bought it on the same day the 2600K was released to market. Its the enermax revolution 1050w in my sig. I don't know if its on the ragged edge of fatigue or failure or what.
Should I just use it until something happens? What would the signs be of fatigue? Just wondering. If I got a new one I would look at something like 1200w since I thought that would be plenty, but this calculator says 1600w which is crazy IMO. What you think?
With my cards and CPU overclocked, games run fine, firestrike runs fine, and anything else I've done just seems to work, so...no problem then?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
1600W does sound ludicrous for 980 Ti SLI, even if overclocked. But, for peace of mind, buy a watt meter and find out how much power you're actually using. A very small price when compared to the cost of your rig and the cost of a potential new PSU.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...pebp=1441315647590&perid=0NZQ5XXWNT9AEEV0BPFT $17.57

Excellent. Thanks. I didn't know they were that affordable. So, when I hook it up and see the reading, I have to divide by 85% (efficiency rating of my PSU) to see what my PSU is actually delivering to the computer? Is that right?

Coming from the wall is before the losses within the PSU occur, so the wattage on the other side is less by about 15%, is that right?

So lets say I am maxing my PSU out at 1050w. The wattage coming from the wall would be about 1200. Is that right?

Edit: Above gadget purchased.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Yes, the wall reading is what the PSU draws, then that AC power is converted to DC power and waste heat. In your case, if your PSU is the Enermax Revolution 85+, efficiency is actually 80+ Silver. According to JonnyGuru's review, you should be getting 88% efficiency at 700W wall reading and slightly over 86% efficiency at 1000W wall reading (hot ambient tests). So you need to multiply the wall reading by 0.88 if you see 700W, and so on.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, the wall reading is what the PSU draws, then that AC power is converted to DC power and waste heat. In your case, if your PSU is the Enermax Revolution 85+, efficiency is actually 80+ Silver. According to JonnyGuru's review, you should be getting 88% efficiency at 700W wall reading and slightly over 86% efficiency at 1000W wall reading (hot ambient tests). So you need to multiply the wall reading by 0.88 if you see 700W, and so on.

Nice. Thank you. One final question. When my PSU is rated for 1050w, does that rating apply to the power it can provide to the computer, or is that rating applied to the amount of power it can pull from the wall? So max power that the PSU can provide to the computer (based on rating) is either 1050w, or something around 900w.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The wattage refers, of course, to how much power it can supply. It being a power supply. A 1050W power supply can supply 1050 watts of power :)

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I don't know if you remember the thread or not but I was shutting down a 1300w psu while benching my 3930k and 780 Classifieds. Keep in mind both were running absolute max clocks (5.1 on the cpu) and the cards were running the skyn3t bios.
Your 980s are more efficient and your cpu isn't pulling as much juice. You won't need 1600w unless you add something crazy, but a ~1250 would give you some breathing room if it makes you feel better. If you aren't having problems I'd stay put.

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Power use goes up exponentially with overclock, so even if you were on the ragged edge, backing off 5% on both CPU and GPU(s) would help tremendously.

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
So, I used this thing

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

to calculate my PSU requirements, and it recommended a 1600w, $450 PSU! I am using a nearly 5 year old 1050w PSU and so far its been working. I bought it on the same day the 2600K was released to market. Its the enermax revolution 1050w in my sig. I don't know if its on the ragged edge of fatigue or failure or what.
Should I just use it until something happens? What would the signs be of fatigue? Just wondering. If I got a new one I would look at something like 1200w since I thought that would be plenty, but this calculator says 1600w which is crazy IMO. What you think?
With my cards and CPU overclocked, games run fine, firestrike runs fine, and anything else I've done just seems to work, so...no problem then?

If it's been running 24/7 you'll see signs of it's age, the caps loose there charge and start to not be able to deliver what the computer is asking for. Eventually it will start to just shut off, that said Enermax will warranty it(if it's still covered). They are pretty good about it, I had one that was failing they warrantied it even after I had broken the seal on the case. In fact I think they replaced the same unit three time's, I didn't buy a new one from them as there line at the time didn't seem to meet my needs.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You don't need a 1600W PSU for two 980Ti and a 3930k. I'd be surprised if you were really even close to maxing out your current PSU with a prime + furmark load, let alone in gaming. If you do replace it though, the EVGA 1300W G2 is so cheap you might as well replace it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I did the kill a watt test. What a joke. 1600w PSU? LOL omg, anyway see results below.

With everything overclocked like crazy. Numbers are watts from the wall.

Firestrike extreme combined test: 800w
Crysis 3: 750-800w
BF4 on 64 player server (default GPU's): 700w
GTAV: 750w

Then I disabled the OC on the GPU's and did firestrike again, and oddly enough, the wattage was the same. That I find pretty odd, but whatever. 800 watts is fine IMO. I'm glad I know now.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Pretty much the wattages I expected to see, given that I knew about your watercooling endeavors :thumbsup: (which, I now notice, is also stated in your sig)

Then I disabled the OC on the GPU's and did firestrike again, and oddly enough, the wattage was the same. That I find pretty odd, but whatever.

Hmm. CPU bottleneck? :D Which test did you run after disabling the GPU overclock?

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Pretty much the wattages I expected to see, given that I knew about your watercooling endeavors :thumbsup: (which, I now notice, is also stated in your sig)

Hmm. CPU bottleneck? :D Which test did you run after disabling the GPU overclock?

I just ran firestrike again. I expected to see at least a slight difference, but didn't see any. When I say I disabled the GPU OC, what I did was shut down EVGA precision. Maybe the OC stuck for some reason. I will try again and actually set the clocks to default in precision and try that way.