TBF, you and your grandmother seem like slum-lords with comments like that.
Mother. She's old because she had me late, so that's how I know the Medicare experience. My grandmother died in her 90s about ten years ago.
Sex offender #1 reduced the ease at which a key could slide into the slot on the front door lock. The lock remained "functional", but he tried to claim credit for lubing up the inside and "trying" to help. Sex offender #1 did not penetrate his daughter, but he had her in the same bad as he during visitations and would put his stick down there in the area of his daughter's genitals.
His mannerisms certainly showed a politeness and understanding on how to talk to other's. Basically, nothing would indicate the bad shit he did.
There is also the suspicious matter of the toilet supply valve in the bathroom he used being broken, but that I cannot definitely pin on him or tenants after him, because there's plausible explanations any of them could have done it(two other suspicious tenants). The damage is not noticeable except when I went to do repair and couldn't shut it off with supply switch, so I had to shut the main off.
Sex offender 2. Multiple incidents that could only be classified as abnormal
1. Copper pipe that supplies a toilet develops a leak. This was way back at the start of his tenancy; there was also retired lawyer co-tenant who might have did or the two conspired together The hole is not large enough to definitively say it was a pinhole leak. But at the same time...since it is a toilet supply valve, likely recent installed since the basement should not have been finished, the development is premature. The water here is also very alkaline. It also happen on a straight section of pipe, not elbows or fittings.
2. Someone pounded a hole in the drywall downstairs and then spackled it back up, basically ruining a section where the paint job was smooth. It could have been him or two other tenants whom he got friendly with. I have video of the before and after since a inspection was done merely a week prior where the wall was good
3. Shutting down electricity to the central A/C and other places to the house...thereby creating a situation.
4. A/C malfunctioning in the frequency of yearly despite having a new control board and new motor+cap installed. Clearly, the aim was to do whatever it takes to spin a story that the A/C was in a state where warranty of habitability was violated, be it from damaging the equipment or cutting power off to it. It's very hard to inspect cut off power or show someone shorted up points on a control board. But new control boards should not be failing every year when the unit also was barely used because it didn't have power.
5. Gutters riveted together mysteriously separate despite being shielded on one side by brick and not having trees within 200 feet of the townhouse.
As for the nature of the crime of offender Number 2. He befriended someone at work and apparently made representation to friend's mom he was homeless and need a place to rent. Eventually, over the course of 1.5 years, he would abuse the family's daughter unnoticed. BUT, he had a brazen streak, where he exposed himself to kids in local stores, prompting police calls. Eventually, the family's mom recognized him in media communications, and then told authorities whatever she knew. THEN they investigated the family daughter. So he got 10 years.
But the salient fact is that he managed to keep his activities unnoticed for 1.5 years
and would have probably had even more time to abuse had he not been so brazen in front of people in retail stores.