Your favorite game that no one else played

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
For me, it would definitely be Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I played this game for at least two years. I never got into the expansion, but damn, this was, IMO, one of the greatest turn-based games ever conceived. The gameplay itself was also extremely intense especially given that it was entirely turn-based.

Unfortunately, even Rise of Nations, while better in general, doesn't offer the complexity of SMAC.

Another game that I played that no one else really did was Jane's Fleet Command. This was a realtime strategy game with turn-based principles. Unfortunately, when I installed mods for the game (the base game was entirely too simplistic and in some cases, factually incorrect), the program itself was plagued with a glitch that would drop be back to the desktop with no warning whatsoever, as soon as the game had a certain number objects to keep track of. Thus it was never possible to have what I would think would be a true naval simulation - multiple CVBGs with several airwings in the air, with several dozen cruise missiles and SAMs all on certain trajectories. This limitation really limited the playability, but that didn't change my opinion that it as a good game once the mods were installed.

labrat25

Jan 7, 2004
ST Armada... I don't know how popular it is 'round these parts but my roomie and I freshman year were the only people I know who played it.

Great game, 'specially for Trekies (Armada II, also :))

Taggart

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Cybermage. It was kinda a poor man's Deus Ex. It was post-Duke Nukem, pre-Q2.

You were this cybernetic soldier that had magical powers and lots of kick a$$ weapons. The open-endedness of the thing was awesome for the time. I remember this one level where you were fighting in the trenches with some friendlies, probably the coolest thing I had done in a FPS up to that time.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Uplink. I know, it's a legend in the techno-circles, but commoners wouldn't know what to do with it

Oh, and Freelancer. Only know 3 people that have played it, one of them I introduced, the other introduced me.

Edit 2: And for completeness, the most excellent series of Mac-only games (And with the most engaging and open-ended storyline EVER for an FPS, or probably any game) Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, Marathon: Infinity.

If anyone has the Marathon games, PM me, I will PURCHASE them from you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'm not sure how popular it was, but I'd still play Castles: Seige & Conquest today if I could. Escape Velocity was pretty good too... it was really popular on the Mac, probably not so much on PC.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Battlezone
Allegiance
Starfleet Command

I played Battlezone in the arcades until I drew crowds around me.

I mean the PC version that came out in like '98, have you played that one? Awesome combination of first person vehicle combat and RTS.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Squisher
Battlezone
Allegiance
Starfleet Command

I played Battlezone in the arcades until I drew crowds around me.

I mean the PC version that came out in like '98, have you played that one? Awesome combination of first person vehicle combat and RTS.

Played it once, wasn't really my type of game. Allegiance was awesome though, and after some dedicated fans made it free there's still an underground network of a few hundred players, or at least there was about 9 months ago.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Desert Combat. None of my friends played it; they all played CS

Now it's UT2k4. None of my friends play it; they still play CS

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: dighn
descent 2/3
freespace
earth 2150

I played a TON of freespace. I didn't like D3 as much, and the Freespace expansion sucked, but freespace 1 and 2 were both pretty good.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
mtv music generator for ps2..

cant think of the rest cuz there were so small named

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Kill.Switch for Xbox (is that the only platform?). I don't know anyone else that has played this. Fun game.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Alpha Centauri.

Where do you think I got my name? (datalink).

One of my favorite games ever (top 5 for sure).