Your favorite dystopian legend? 1984? Brave New World? Mad Max?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Dystopia is the opposite of Utopia, an imaginary hell on earth place. Which do you think is the best example of the genre?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
1984. - Fantastic Piece of literature.

Brazil. F'd up movie, but the most realistic portrayl of stream-of-conscience and mental cretivity with all its ssumptions.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Published before "1984", before "Brave New World" and before "Anthem". Both Orwell and Rand have acknowledged "We" as having been influential to their work, Huxley denied having ever heard of "We", but it seems to me rather hard for Huxley not to have at least heard of the book even if he hadn't read it.

ZV

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
1984. Words cannot express on how that can parallel current government ways and other historical ways.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Picking Brazil and giving props for it showing up on the list!
I also nominate Cube.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
Dystopia is the opposite of Utopia, an imaginary hell on earth place. Which do you think is the best example of the genre?

Time Machine

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Damn, I forgot about "This perfect day." I would definitely put that as top 2 with 1984, with Brazil as 3rd.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I picked 1984, but I think you should add Clockwork Orange.
The book as the author intended it or the butchered version that has a completely different spin on which Kubric based his movie?

In the book the character cures himself in the final chapter simply through getting older and naturally discarding the violence of youth. Anyone who has not read the book in its proper form really should do so, along with reading Burgess' new introduction to the book which explains his distaste for the initial American release and Kubric's movie.

ZV

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
I have never seen Brazil, but have heard that it is very gruesome. What makes it so gruesome?
You must be thinking of something else. Nothing gruesome about Brazil (other than the bleak portrayal of the future of beauracracy). It is, however, hilarious.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Another vote for 1984... great book. I want to see the film (the one released in 1984).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I saw Road Warrior once because i was bored and it's now one of my favorite movies. I love post-apocolyptic or alternate reality movies. I then watched Mad Max (also good), and mad max beyond thunderdome (horse sh*t). I hope that Mad Max IV next year is sweet. Er, this year!!!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
I have never seen Brazil, but have heard that it is very gruesome. What makes it so gruesome?
You must be thinking of something else. Nothing gruesome about Brazil (other than the bleak portrayal of the future of beauracracy). It is, however, hilarious.

It is definitely HILARIOUS, but definitely gruesome at times.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Jzero

It is definitely HILARIOUS, but definitely gruesome at times.
Either I fell asleep, or I've been desensitized......what was gruesome? I guess the whole thing about the mother and the plastic surgery is kind of grotesque in the frightening clownish way they looked, but when I think of gruesome, I think "makes me want to throw up."

Personally I love the scene with the desk that goes through the wall! That was too funny.