Your companies policy on holiday pay?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
salary but still get OT pay. If I come in on a holiday I get paid extra.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
XZeroII, I think you're misunderstanding. This is clearly an unfair system.

The person making $15/hour who gets the day off gets a paid holiday (that's $120). If that person has to work, he gets 1.5x regular pay ONLY ($180). Clearly, the guy who has to work only gets $60 for the day - which is half the regular pay.

Stay home = $120.
Work = $180.
No matter how you look at it, that's $60 for a day's work - that's only half pay.

Now, if the company provided a substitute paid holiday for people who have to work, that would be a different story.

I understand fully. What do you want? The company to punish the people who don't come in or pay you an obscene amount of money? I think that this is a fair compromise.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: Farang
You suck at complaining. You're getting 1.5 your normal pay. If you don't like it, don't go to work on that day or quit and find a place that is dumber than your current employer.

Wrong. Normal compensation package includes payment for 8 hours at the normal rate of pay on the holiday. So if you work that day, you are only being paid half of your normal rate because the other 8 hours are already owed to you without working.

YOu not paid half your normal rate. You are paid 1.5 times your normal rate. According to the OP, a normal rate is $100 but if you work on a holiday you get $150. The extra $50 is compensation for working on a holiday.

Do you understand that people not working that day also get paid that $100? It is holiday pay included in your salary. So the only additional benefit you get for working is half of your normal rate of pay, the other money you are already owed.

If you understand that then we just disagree.

we disagree.

You're just a moron.

we disagree.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kranky
XZeroII, I think you're misunderstanding. This is clearly an unfair system.

The person making $15/hour who gets the day off gets a paid holiday (that's $120). If that person has to work, he gets 1.5x regular pay ONLY ($180). Clearly, the guy who has to work only gets $60 for the day - which is half the regular pay.

Stay home = $120.
Work = $180.
No matter how you look at it, that's $60 for a day's work - that's only half pay.

Now, if the company provided a substitute paid holiday for people who have to work, that would be a different story.

I understand fully. What do you want? The company to punish the people who don't come in or pay you an obscene amount of money? I think that this is a fair compromise.

Would this be fair? Everyone gets paid for the holiday whether they work or not. And people who work on the holiday earn a regular day's pay.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just do away with holiday pay entirely. If you don't work, you don't get paid....sick leave should be done away with too. Bunch of slackers calling sick and expecting to get paid for it...bunch of leeches.
Fucking people should be grateful to have jobs...and be dammed glad to work a holiday for 1/2 pay...

(gawd...that was hard to even type...):roll:

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
One company I worked for would not have you work the holiday, and pay you 8 hours. Or they'd have you work it, and give you another day off without pay. Either way you only got 40 hours that week.

Current employer considers us "salaried", even though if I take half a day for a doctor's appointment I get half a day of pay removed. I don't get overtime though. We take turns working holidays, and if we do then we get our choice of another day off without penalty on pay. It seems fair to me, we all take out turn, and nobody gets screwed out of pay. Holidays are slow as dirt too so there's less to do.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
At our company, you get your 8 holiday hours plus whatever hours you actually worked. So any hours worked are "double time."

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

I hate to break it to you all, but holiday pay is not really that much of a benefit. You are paid salary and it includes that "paid holiday". The real reason they give you paid holiday is not to be nice, it's because it makes payroll much easier. your salary divided by your pay period + overtime. Done. None of this "oh, we need to make payroll adjustments to every check this week because it is only a 4 day week....so you will get your check 2 days late". Infact, if your company gives you a holiday, but not paid, and you are on salary, then you actually make more hourly (in equivalent terms).

OP....what is there to complain about? you want them to compensate you a lost hoilday? that is not going to happen. You are basically getting overtime pay for not working overtime. Feel lucky because some "paid holidays" are not holidays for other companies (ie Friday after Thanksgiving....Day after Christmas).

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
THank you all for chiming in here.

*UPDATE*

Went out for dinner with my sister sat evening. (lets hear it for sisters)
She has worked for the local power company here for 30+ years.
When she first started, she worked dispatch.
(You know, the people that send out the repair trucks when a drunk knocks out a tele pole power line and your lights go off.)
That?s a 24/7 operation, so you are going to have staff on holidays.

Anyway... the power company tried to pull the same thing where she works way back when. For three years, that was their policy, same as my or mine in my opening post.

Then, one day (my sister said) they got a new dept manager hired from the outside, and he was appalled at the policy, so he took it to the State Labor Board.

Slam dunk Board ruling if favor for the employee's in dispatch at the power company!!!!

And...and... not only did the power company have to change policy, they forced the power company to go back the FULL three years, and pay all the dispatch holiday workers for that holiday pay they were cheated out of.
Plus, the company was fined by the labor board.

Also, this issue is apples and oranges. Company holiday benefits are company benefits. End of story.
Salary is salary. End of that story.
And the two can not be merged or confused.

So guess its off to the State Labor Board for me...
But I'll bring this State Labor Board power company ruling to their attention, first, to be fair.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Your employer has just created considerable incentive for people calling in sick on holidays and/or large amounts of tensions and conflicts as people fight over who gets "stuck" working on major holidays.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Your employer has just created considerable incentive for people calling in sick on holidays and/or large amounts of tensions and conflicts as people fight over who gets "stuck" working on major holidays.

With only a couple of exceptions for years when we had things planned over the holidays, there's never been a holiday that I wasn't willing to work if need be. I used to volunteer to work them all the time...Double time (or double & a half) is a pretty good incentive for me. I don't think there's a single major (or minor) holiday that I haven't worked at least once in my career.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Salaried.

So if shit has to be done by the 26th, then I work for free on Christmas. It's not something you like to do, but that is just the way it works in most white collar jobs in the corporate world.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
The last company I was at paid for holidays regardless if you work or not. If you come int work, then you got your normal hourly wage, so it equated to double time according to the books. I didn't really like this, since some people who got assigned to work were part time people and they didn't get that extra day of apy, so they came in to work for normal money.

I had felt if you did not come in to work, then you get nothing. If you did, double your day's wage. Seemed fair to me, not too complex, but who knows?