Your college dorm have AC?

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
yes, but it's currently cold here and we don't have heat yet.

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
No, but its already cold outside, so its no big deal. It was hot the past few days though.

Marty

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, and we don't need it really. We have a twin window fan and it's plenty cool. Besides, we have RESNET and that's all that counts :D

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
AC in the south is a must unless you want to shave a few dollars off rent. Stupid idiots, "oh its only 90-100 out, Ill be fine with no AC." go inside its 140 lol. I don't care if its to shave a few dollars off rent, no AC is stupid if you live in the south.

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I live in Canada, where all the people are Eskimos, and we live in Igloos... so no, we don't have AC.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I agree with SJ - my father goes around all summer (we live in atlantic canada but the summer is pretty damn humid) sweating his fat ass off all over the place, in no comfort at all. I tell him to buy AC and he just says "oh it will be fall soon", meanwhile he is sweating everywhere and on his food at dinner time.

BiB

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< no AC is stupid if you live in the south. >>

I think that that is pretty rude and oncalled for IMHO:|. What may be right for someone may not be right for others. There are 250+ people in my dorm and no one complains w/o AC her at NC State. Besides the AC takes up valuable room in dorm rooms. In fact, we have the biggest rooms on campus as we don't have a bulky unit taking up space in our room. And it is never so hot that my ass is just sweating like crazy and my system temperature on my computer is a very manageable 29C.

So before you go around calling others &quot;stupid,&quot; maybe you should take a look in the mirror...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I guess I fail to see how an air conditioner would take up &quot;valuable space&quot;. Any air conditioners that I've seen are in window units taking up zero floor space, or, are floor or ceiling mounted vents, once again, taking up zero real estate.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
My dorm doesn't...nor do i particularly care. It's only really hot for a few weeks here in Iowa. I don't like AC, it usually makes me sneeze a lot. If it's really hot, I can always go to the library or something where it's cool.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The units used here on campus take up a huge portion of floor space (Bragaw), and others take up a huge chunk of wall space in (Tri-Towers, especially considering that these dorms weren't designed with AC in mind)

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
hrm.. my friend and i were developing an ice cooler that would act as cooling unit. Our prototype works fairly nicely. It's no AC, but it's cool air blowin on you. Only gripe right now is figuruing a way to keep the water as cool as possible.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Heat doesn't bother me too much. It's the humidity. The part of Iowa that I'm in can get upwards of 95% humidity, coupled with an 85 degree day, the heat index is well above 100.

The beauty of air conditioners is that they suck out the humidity. Just reducing the humidity by 40% can make for a fairly comfortable environment.

Many elderly people can't tolerate high humidity. It makes it very difficult for them to breath. And, if you have emphaziema, it's even worse.

I remember over 500 elderly people dieing in Chicago a couple summers ago because of the heat. None of them had air conditioning.

A college student may be fine without it(provided that one does not have a serious case of asthema), but for many elderly, it's essential.

Now what this post has to do with the thread, I dunno :)

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah vi_edit, it was bloody hot AND humid here in Ames a few days ago. But, I made it ok. Now this morning I wake up and it's 57 degrees, felt quite nice.

ParasiticFly

Aug 29, 2000
Uh I gotta have it here at UT in Austin...

IT WAS 110 DEGREES YESTERDAY!!! GOOD GOD!

So yeah
We have AC here

Dorn

Jun 5, 2000
Napalm381, where in Ames do you live? I'm in Maple - I barely noticed last week in my air conditioned room. :D

Feb 16, 2000
Or you could have sadistic Housing directors that control the thermostats. Heat on in the summer, fans on and windows open in February. Gotta love it. Glad I'm out of the dorms!!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i guess UMD is the only campus that won't let us have AC in da dorms (well, most of them). Mainly a power constraint. Our goal: a low powered air cooler.. and it worked nicely today (then again, it didn't break 74 or something today).