Your car, tracked: the rapid rise of license plate readers

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I've been pulled over for having expired tags after an LPR flagged me. My tags were actually current, as were the stickers, but I was still dragged out of the car. It's a joke for many reasons, the most damning of which is that it relies on databases that are not automatically updated.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I've been pulled over for having expired tags after an LPR flagged me. My tags were actually current, as were the stickers, but I was still dragged out of the car. It's a joke for many reasons, the most damning of which is that it relies on databases that are not automatically updated.

There's no reason in 2012 for those databases NOT to be automatically updated in real, or near real time.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
There's no reason in 2012 for those databases NOT to be automatically updated in real, or near real time.

Agreed. It depends on the commitment of the Governor of each state to spending money on technology, though.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Its interesting, i'm not wholeheartedly against it however...it does seem very Orwellian...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My son was pulled in by the police in Utah for driving a stolen car because their database was wrong and the used car dealer had issued a reclaimed title on his car. It is a good thing where he worked they had a prepaid legal services agreement for all the employees. The police are often wrong. This falls under guilty till proven innocent!

How this works is some service provider is providing a database. They dont actually call the state office for verification. This is a big ripoff. So if you are arrested like this, you should sue for false arrest.

However, if you stole the car, you would not have the registration in the glovebox.

However, the police assume you are guilty. They dont mind detaining you and denying your freedom and wasting your time while they figure out what is going on.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
What is one's reasonable expectation of 'privacy' on a public road??

I am for this if it used properly, but we all know how that would turn out...

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The GPS on your vehicle is more effective.

Your cellphone is even better!

Was just reading about his yesterday

Appeals court rules that cell phone tracking is legal, correct use of technology

Warrantless cell-phone tracking by the authorities is, apparently, entirely legal in parts of the U.S. thanks to a new ruling by a federal appeals court, which has ruled in favor of upholding the sentence of a drug-trafficker arrested after being located using their cell signal.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/ap...-tracking-is-legal-correct-use-of-technology/

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

different systems are not allowed/designed to talk to each other.

Everyone wants their own fiefdom and control of all the access gates.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe I'm naive in thinking this but cell phone and gps seems to be more targeted where this license plate thing seems to be more broad and have much higher incidents of false arrest and such...

Ya, maybe they will only use it for terrorists.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I agree. If they can be accessed in real time by an automated system in the field, then why does it take months for that same database to be updated to reflect that I actually did renew my registration before it expired? It's absurd.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I am for this if it used properly, but we all know how that would turn out...

Given the incompetence of government and the asshole-ness of many police officers, I think there is precisely 0% chance of it being used "properly".

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Awesome

The more Americans falsely accused the better :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I watch the show Bait Car (great show). The plate readers help them catch people who have stolen cars. This is a good thing, as it vastly increases the chance you will get your car back.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I watch the show Bait Car (great show). The plate readers help them catch people who have stolen cars. This is a good thing, as it vastly increases the chance you will get your car back.

Negative Ghost Rider, you are wrong as usual which is not surprising being you are fed what to write.

The only cars people would get back would be from a very few unprofessional kids.

Most cars that are snatched up are done by professionals that shred the license plate and have the car in either a thousand pieces in no time or the car is scrubbed of identity markings and shipped to other countries.

Keep drinking and pushing that Kool Aid though, doing a heck off a job brownie.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Cool technology, could be used to combat domestic terrorism. Also to generate revenue for the state.