Young workers want acknowledgement, not money

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Was at a training today and one of the things they went over were personalities and motivations. The trainer made specific note that younger workers are far more likely to prefer positive verbal reinforcement\acknowledgement than previous generations and are far less likely to be motivated by money than older workers.

This sparked an interesting discussion at lunch with one business owner chiming in that hes been able to reduce bonus payouts and salary offered by increasing managerial feedback and tokens of acknowledgement. (small trophy and\or $200 starbucks\visa card compared to $1k performance bonus). Someone else quickly mentioned that they were noticing fewer salary negotiations pushes from young new hires if they were overly complimentary on their resume\skills\personality. There was a noticeable pause as other employers digested the thought of offering much cheaper 'signs of appreciation' in lieu of additional monetary compensation

Made me wonder a bit if we'll see this spread both from the employer side and the employee side or if they are just isolated instances\imagined responses.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Heard the same ~5 years ago from a guy that owns a printing factory. His highest paid sales person's #1 gripe was that he didn't praise her work enough. "Here's your gold star, Fred, to go along with your minimum wage. How happy are you?" Real happy.....win

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think it's acceptable nor do I think the guy's top salesperson would have taken a pay cut. She just needed a fluffer.

Probably a cat person.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
It sorta makes sense to me, though I am in the money ship myself. For example:

Scenario A) You've been working for a year or two at a company. The boss pulls you in randomly and says "We've been watching how you've progressed and really like the way you've handled project x,y,z. Here is a $200 gift card for ______." Fast forward 4 or 5 months, the same thing happens. You're getting rewarded and recognized often due to your work. Whether the boss is BS'ing you about how they like you or not does not matter.

Scenario B) You've been working for a year or two at a company. You've received no annual reviews and were finally given a $1,500 bonus during year two during their end-of-year-bonus-giving-out-time. You were not recognized for anything, just simply handed some cash. It's low compared to the rest of the department who's been working for 5+ years.

The motivation to be better or do more is very much less in B than A. It's sorta like, well all I gotta do is stay here for a while and start getting decent bonuses? vs. Wow, I'm being paid for good work and they are seeing it.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
But when the $$ is not there, let's say $10/hr, tokens of appreciation go a long way.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Hell, they don't after being paid. It's like being married or something.

Kidding, Honey, honest.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
BS. These are the things spoken to convince people that Wage stagnation is acceptable.

I'm not sure thats true. First - this was not the sort of training where you would expect to see that viewpoint. We had 'bio-breaks' and the training room was "a safe space where you should feel comfortable expressing yourself." We were asked if we were uncomfortable if we were being put on the spot and told "its ok for you to feel uncomfortable. I am here to train you but I certainly respect and accept your emotional preferences." It was more of a passing comment about finding how to motivate that didn't come into discussion until lunch (and the trainer wasn't there for that part)

Second - see below:

This is exactly the video the trainer gave us as something to listen to later

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Our company's engagement surveys (we employ around 13,000 worldwide) typically reflect similar things - more desire for acknowledgement of good work. Our bonuses are tired to entire business units and we have very little control over it - so while we all enjoy our bonuses when we get them, they are also tied into your offer letter and not really something you consider as a pat on the back for your individual work.

We also have awards that anyone in the company can nominate you for, with value of anywhere from $50-$500 that can be either gift cards, merchandise you choose, etc, and those seem to improve morale a huge amount more than any bonus or raise. I think at some point a raise is necessary, or at least advancement, but day to day what I've heard from my employees is that they simply want to be acknowledged for putting in the work.

Most of the people I've seen leave haven't left due to money, but rather due to not feeling appreciated.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Both appreciation and monetary bonuses are good motivators but, sadly, companies who provide either, let alone both, are VERY few and far between. Corporate America doesn't care about motivation.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
BS. These are the things spoken to convince people that Wage stagnation is acceptable.
This is true but you also have to take into consideration the compensation strategy of a given employer. If they aren't after the cream of the crop they will have a market lag policy where they will pay much less than median for workers putting them in the green circle pay group. This is the policy that Amazon has which is why their average turn over rate is so high with an average tenure of only 18 months.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Pat on head, participation trophy and proud coos from mommy. No wonder everyone laughs at millennials.

"Validate me!! Make me feel pretty!!"
Made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZp9bu8pmeQ&t=35

I'm technically a millennial. I want a decent wage and then job satisfaction. Praising me is nice, but not critical. However, praising other people who I know aren't doing anything special will piss me off.

Feb 25, 2011
They still want money, they're just more comfortable with the idea of quitting because they don't like their manager, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I definitely think that feeling like your work is actually meaningful is a lot more motivating than just doing something that you don't know if people care about. I know it does to me at least. That's one of the reasons I don't really ever want to work for some big ass company where I'm just a statistic. I like the small company feel where you feel like you are contributing.

While I am not saying I don't like money or anything, there is definitely something to be said for getting any kind of "attaboy" for work that you do. Just like I'd rather know when I fuck up right away rather than waiting a year later to hear about it in an annual review.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
ha ha ha ha ha no. Let me know when you find a skilled engineer willing to work for minimum wage and an Atta boy!

if y'all would watch the link I posted, it explains this concept very clearly. Give them enough money where money is no longer an issue, and money rapidly loses it's appeal as a motivator.