Young Women Could Redefine The Women’s Vote - and it's not Trump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
According to Hillary, white women are stupid and vote the way their husbands and bosses tell them to. The women in that poll may not like Trump but at the end of the day, according to Hillary, they'll do as they're told and vote for him. Hillary is never wrong and never lies.

Good job!

Hillary was correct in her statement. Studies show that married white women do often vote a certain way because their husband's do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-like-their-husbands/?utm_term=.918534dd201c

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
According to Hillary, white women are stupid and vote the way their husbands and bosses tell them to. The women in that poll may not like Trump but at the end of the day, according to Hillary, they'll do as they're told and vote for him. Hillary is never wrong and never lies.

Good job!

well, I guess you're still voting against Hillary, yeah?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The second Roe is repealed, abortion becomes a major political liability with moderate women for the GOP. But if they don't repeal it while having a 5:4 majority to do so, evangelicals might feel duped and stop turning out for the GOP.

I don't think so. Because they are not going to outright ban abortion, they are going to allow states to make laws that end-round it. It is going to be framed as a 'states rights' issue.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't think so. Because they are not going to outright ban abortion, they are going to allow states to make laws that end-round it. It is going to be framed as a 'states rights' issue.

You do realize that many states (I believe the number is 22), have EXISTING LAWS, that when roe v wade is overturned, AUTOMATICALLY outlaw abortions?

There is nothing to frame.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The fact that women lean dem is not new. What is new is that millennial women show a stronger lean than older women, and most importantly, that they lean more strongly toward voting for female candidates than do older women. This is relevant given the high number of women who are running this year.

Younger voters tend to lean more left as well and then turn rightward as they get older, so nothing new in the first part of your statement either. As for women candidates, there's a couple things going on; (1) female candidates tend to run on the left so they of course will appeal to younger, left-leaning women, and (2) your statement reflects a degree of availability bias as the quantity of women running for office has gone from near zero when 'older women' were growing up to today where it's still not particularly high (certainly not in proportion to their share of the population) but getting higher as time goes along. Thus younger women will tend to lean stronger to women candidates because they've had exposure to them at a degree that older women have not. You'd probably find that younger women tend to like rap music more than older women for the same basic reason - younger women grew up with rap whereas older women did not and thus acquired a taste and preference for it.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The second Roe is repealed, abortion becomes a major political liability with moderate women for the GOP. But if they don't repeal it while having a 5:4 majority to do so, evangelicals might feel duped and stop turning out for the GOP.
Evangelicals don't know how to feel duped. They'll just believe whatever line is given to them.

Nov 8, 2012
Younger voters tend to lean more left as well and then turn rightward as they get older, so nothing new in the first part of your statement either. As for women candidates, there's a couple things going on; (1) female candidates tend to run on the left so they of course will appeal to younger, left-leaning women, and (2) your statement reflects a degree of availability bias as the quantity of women running for office has gone from near zero when 'older women' were growing up to today where it's still not particularly high (certainly not in proportion to their share of the population) but getting higher as time goes along. Thus younger women will tend to lean stronger to women candidates because they've had exposure to them at a degree that older women have not.

Came to basically post this.

There was a Reuters poll about a month ago showing Millennials are already turning. Funny how that happens when they put their big boy pants on and have to start paying taxes.

You'd probably find that younger women tend to like rap music more than older women for the same basic reason - younger women grew up with rap whereas older women did not and thus acquired a taste and preference for it.

Yeah, but that's because they grew up to shaking their ass in skimpy ass clothing too instead of when women were more... ahem... "proper" I guess you could say :p

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
that may not hold true into the future. Very few people can stomach voting with nazis, white supremacists and a government that rips babies from people seeking asylum.

If I were a betting man I would say the gop is a dead man walking.

Nov 8, 2012
that may not hold true into the future. Very few people can stomach voting with nazis, white supremacists and a government that rips babies from people seeking asylum.

If I were a betting man I would say the gop is a dead man walking.

You said the same thing in 2015, you will keep saying it in 2020 if you keep segregating your partisanship more and more.

Those who do not learn from their mistakes are damned to repeat it, etc.. etc...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You said the same thing in 2015, you will keep saying it in 2020 if you keep segregating your partisanship more and more.

Those who do not learn from their mistakes are damned to repeat it, etc.. etc...

Pretty sure I didn't think nor say nazis and white supremacist would get a president in 2016.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Younger voters tend to lean more left as well and then turn rightward as they get older, so nothing new in the first part of your statement either.

There's some evidence of a modest rightward shift as we age, but it matters where we start out. It appears that the millennials are more liberal than were the prior generations when they were at the same age. In other words, we'll need to see a lot more rightward shifting than we've seen with prior generations in order for this generation to favor the GOP. Probably never going to happen.

As for women candidates, there's a couple things going on; (1) female candidates tend to run on the left so they of course will appeal to younger, left-leaning women, and (2) your statement reflects a degree of availability bias as the quantity of women running for office has gone from near zero when 'older women' were growing up to today where it's still not particularly high (certainly not in proportion to their share of the population) but getting higher as time goes along. Thus younger women will tend to lean stronger to women candidates because they've had exposure to them at a degree that older women have not. You'd probably find that younger women tend to like rap music more than older women for the same basic reason - younger women grew up with rap whereas older women did not and thus acquired a taste and preference for it.

That may all be true, but doesn't change the fact that the large influx of female candidates who are running in this year's mid terms will be advantageous to the dems, at least with this demographic.

Nov 25, 2013

Good job!

This Hillary person, she's someone who is important to you for some reason?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Ah. I heard that she lost an election a couple of years ago. Must have upset the poor fellow.

That he keeps bringing her up over and over again at his (in)famous rallies sure does indicate that her loss upset him in the sense that he can't win against her anymore so he has to settle for less by continuously pissing on her grave (politically speaking) in order to give his supporters somebody to hate and rail against. Since the mid-terms are coming up Trump has turned on the Democrats in general as if the Democrats are the anti-christs incarnate rather than the guy he sees in the mirror.

The shithead can't rely on his own lurid and shameful personal history to bolster his image so he has to have enemies to point to as a way of avoiding having to reveal the disgusting truths about himself, not that his supporters would give a shit about his immorality and detestable personality disorders.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I thought I'd post something more recent and more probable to actually swing the midterm elections in favor of the Democrats.
F@@K!!!!!
OP.... try telling THAT to my female relatives.
Those women that voted for Trump because they believed HE would shake things up.
Those women that typically vote for the Ralph Nader's, the Ross Perot's, and the Bernie Sanders.
They think like democrats, their best interest are with the democrats, but they never vote for the democrat.
And they absolutely HATED Hilary.

Yet, they are still standing firm with Donald Trump, amazing as it seems.
I don't get it.
I think its something in their drinking water. Or brain damage from too much cell phone use.
They want clean air and clean water and get very upset at womanizing politicians, yet....
They love Donald Trump and believe he is doing just fine leading the country.
So far, nothing Donald has done is all that bad. Not to them.
And they absolutely ignore and brush off everything Soviet collusion related.
I have no doubts they all will be right there with Trump and the republicans this midterm.

I was placing my hopes on the youth vote.
Those kids that marched after the school shootings.
The kids that marched against that "business as usual" within congress.
Marched against the unwillingness of congress to even consider gun control.
But then came the special elections of late and these kids are not showing up at the polls.
Their emotional involvement seems to start and end with marching and speeches.
But that emotion is not showing up at the polls.
Maybe the next generation after this generation?
Or, the generation after the next generation after the next generation?
Or maybe not at all?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Couldn't agree more. In my limited experience, women are just better at work. Yes, I intend that to be incredibly bad. Across all the jobs I've seen in my industry, on average, anecdotally, women are just better at it.

Not saying there aren't great men, there absolutely are. However, on average, women have a better skillset.
Who starts over 80% of businesses and applies for patents? Ain't women, lol. Women have reaped the benefits of men for thousands of years, testosterone is simply > estrogen for creating leaders, managers, directors, presidents, etc. The only women I've seen who are good at leading have higher than average levels of testosterone, manjaw and all.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
F@@K!!!!!
OP.... try telling THAT to my female relatives.
Those women that voted for Trump because they believed HE would shake things up.
Those women that typically vote for the Ralph Nader's, the Ross Perot's, and the Bernie Sanders.
They think like democrats, their best interest are with the democrats, but they never vote for the democrat.
And they absolutely HATED Hilary.

Yet, they are still standing firm with Donald Trump, amazing as it seems.
I don't get it.
I think its something in their drinking water. Or brain damage from too much cell phone use.
They want clean air and clean water and get very upset at womanizing politicians, yet....
They love Donald Trump and believe he is doing just fine leading the country.
So far, nothing Donald has done is all that bad. Not to them.
And they absolutely ignore and brush off everything Soviet collusion related.
I have no doubts they all will be right there with Trump and the republicans this midterm.

I was placing my hopes on the youth vote.
Those kids that marched after the school shootings.
The kids that marched against that "business as usual" within congress.
Marched against the unwillingness of congress to even consider gun control.
But then came the special elections of late and these kids are not showing up at the polls.
Their emotional involvement seems to start and end with marching and speeches.
But that emotion is not showing up at the polls.
Maybe the next generation after this generation?
Or, the generation after the next generation after the next generation?
Or maybe not at all?
Women love Trump b/c he's a true Alpha, something you'll sadly never know. Women all want the alpha which is why your relatives still love him.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Who starts over 80% of businesses and applies for patents? Ain't women, lol. Women have reaped the benefits of men for thousands of years, testosterone is simply > estrogen for creating leaders, managers, directors, presidents, etc. The only women I've seen who are good at leading have higher than average levels of testosterone, manjaw and all.
LOL.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Women love Trump b/c he's a true Alpha, something you'll sadly never know. Women all want the alpha which is why your relatives still love him.

Did you know that the whole 'alpha' thing only happens in captivity? The entire research pointing at the 'alpha' traits has been debunked numerous times now. It is instead the reactions of caged animals.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Good job!

And don't forget Benghazi!