Young, black and on track ... Why African-American boys often fail in school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Apparantly all that JohnGalt, Kage69 and HeroOfPellinor can offer are thinly-veiled racist comments that betray their ignorance and hatred.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
If only we'd give them reparations everything would be okay.

Very nice :)
Why don't you two go jerk each other off somewhere else, okay?

That is nice, too. Let me guess, you have a great, great, great, great Uncle who was a slave and you want some of my tax dollars to buy bling with? You make me laugh...keep up the good work, Faustov
Actually no, I'm as white as they come. I just have minimal patience for assholes who crap in what is supposed to be a thread for serious discussion. I'm surprised someone with an Ayn Rand reference as their forum nick doesn't have something more substantial to offer up.

Here's something substantial. That article was stupid fluff with absolutly no point. It offered no possibilities for the cause or a fix other than to say it's all the teachers fault cause they're scared white women. Thanks for posting such a brilliant work...I think we're all smarter for having read something so insightful. BTW did a family member of your write that or something and you're trying to get them an audience?

My reply, while sarcastic as hell, was right on. AA and reparations are constantly brought up by self-righteous white people like you because you're attempting to bring some shred of significance to your pathetic life by feeling like a liberator or civil rights champion when, in actuality, young black men would be better off if idiots would stop incessently reminding them that they are disadvantaged because, frankly, they are not...nobody in America is. We may start off in different situtations, but nothing is stopping any single person from succeeding except their own will. Success is available for anybody willing to work for it and courageous enough to try...but you need motivation to work hard to succeed and being told you aren't good enough without help from whitie is DEmotiviating and creates resentment.

Frankly, there's nothing to discuss in that rediculous article other than to say, yes, it was, infact, an article.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Apparantly all that JohnGalt, Kage69 and HeroOfPellinor can offer are thinly-veiled racist comments that betray their ignorance and hatred

Ahhhhh, yes, I've heard this before, the "you share a different view to my own, therefore, you are a rascist" position. Shouldn't you be off playing with Legos or something?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
AA and reparations are constantly brought up by self-righteous white people like you....

Fascinating, while the article didn't discuss AA or reparations it does seem to have induced some sort of hallucinations in a couple of the AT members...or maybe someone slipped them the wrong kind of mushroom soup at lunch :shrug:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

That is nice, too. Let me guess, you have a great, great, great, great Uncle who was a slave and you want some of my tax dollars to buy bling with? You make me laugh...keep up the good work, Faustov
Actually no, I'm as white as they come. I just have minimal patience for assholes who crap in what is supposed to be a thread for serious discussion. I'm surprised someone with an Ayn Rand reference as their forum nick doesn't have something more substantial to offer up.

Here's something substantial. That article was stupid fluff with absolutly no point. It offered no possibilities for the cause or a fix other than to say it's all the teachers fault cause they're scared white women. Thanks for posting such a brilliant work...I think we're all smarter for having read something so insightful. BTW did a family member of your write that or something and you're trying to get them an audience?
It figures that's all you would take away from the article, you fscking moron. I never said it was any kind of immediate solution to the problem, but at least this guy had the balls to come out and say that young black men need to forget about the dubs for five minutes and focus on a career if they ever really want to be anyone.

My reply, while sarcastic as hell, was right on. AA and reparations are constantly brought up by self-righteous white people like you because you're attempting to bring some shred of significance to your pathetic life by feeling like a liberator or civil rights champion when, in actuality, young black men would be better off if idiots would stop incessently reminding them that they are disadvantaged because, frankly, they are not...nobody in America is. We may start off in different situtations, but nothing is stopping any single person from succeeding except their own will. Success is available for anybody willing to work for it and courageous enough to try...but you need motivation to work hard to succeed and being told you aren't good enough without help from whitie is DEmotiviating and creates resentment.

Frankly, there's nothing to discuss in that rediculous article other than to say, yes, it was, infact, an article.
Oh, right. Why don't you direct me to all the times I've advocated AA and reparations. (there aren't any) Furthermore, why don't you point out to me what your comments on the matter have to do with the article. (absolutely nothing)

It's typical that your only response is the tried and true right-wing blather about how black america is just sitting there with it's collective hand out waiting for your hard-earned white guy tax dollars to roll in. Your response, while about par for the course given your paltry intellect, isn't even close to being right on. The author is essentially saying the same things you are; focus on the important stuff and you'll make it. The POINT THAT YOU MISSED BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY TROLLING THIS FORUM is to stop making excuses and screwing around. The author (who is black by the way) makes no apologies for these young men failing in school.

Read the article, leave your usual ad hominem bullshit out of it, or fsck off. I'm sick of idiots like you cluttering up the forums.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinorMy reply, while sarcastic as hell, was right on. AA and reparations are constantly brought up by self-righteous white people like you because you're attempting to bring some shred of significance to your pathetic life by feeling like a liberator or civil rights champion when, in actuality, young black men would be better off if idiots would stop incessently reminding them that they are disadvantaged because, frankly, they are not...nobody in America is.

You're the only dipsh!t bringing it up. Why don't you STFU now? Asshat.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The article was reporting an issue, not offering answers, just what's happening. It's called reporting.

I must agree that this is very much a family issue.

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Its not just family, its also the environment in which they are brought up in.

Also, how do YOU expect parents to help their children in their "reports and trig", when they themselves probably didnt graduate high school? Its a catch-22, vicious cycle that will probably not be broken until long after I die.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Zebo
I gonna get in trouble for this...Oh well..

How can these boys learn to be men when no men to mentor? Thier fathers left...Thier primary school teachers are overwhelmingly female and they have very few positive male role models.. And the majority of male role models they see is pimps and drug dealers livin' the thug life. This IMO developes a man into a permanent boy who is selfish, lacks focus, has an entilement attitude, care little for the society in which he lives, and will have these problems thoughout his life.

If we don't care about them why should they care about us?

#1 DMX is not a roll model nor is Jay Z, 50 cent or 70 cents
#2 having bling bling does nothing but get you some short term heiny and condemning you to a life of the ghetto
#3 Just because you were born in the ghetto does not mean you have to stay there
#4 Ebonics does not exist
#5 You should be embarassed if a relative of yours is too lazy to work and gets a welfare check
#6 White people can listen to rap as well, wearing saggy pants, having 3k spinners on your POS ride, driving with the seat laid back practically touching the back seat, and having your windows rolled down while blasting your radio will not get you any. It makes everyone double clutch their purse and do a wallet check, because yes you are a ghetto thug.
#7 You are not a sellout if you make it in corporate america or desire to not be held down by your ghetto brethren. You have opened your eyes and you can be considered enlightened
#8 Just because you choose to vote other than democrat does not void your Black man status
#9 Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do not care about you, just your money
#10 Professional white people would rather be surrounded by professional black people than trailer trash. We are not all rednecks and most would like to see people elevate their status in society regardless of color. The less people receiving public assistance and actually paying back to society the less we have to pay.

A Cobb County executive pointed out to me one of the ways youngsters get sidetracked, especially if parents are not closely involved with students' success
Exactly, everything starts at the home. Stop cheering for him making that touchdown catch and help him with his research paper and trig.

This is some of the most stereotypical bullsh*t I've seen in awhile... Do you really think that lowly of black people? They're not monkeys, you know. They have thoughts and feelings just like you and I.
#1 While you may not think the rappers you mentioned are role models, the fact that they're using their talents to make a good living and not out on the streets selling drugs or mugging people is a pretty damn good start if you ask me. While their lyrics may not be relevant to you, most rappers sing about the plight of the average black man and their lyrics certainly do resonate with said average black man. Jay-Z happens to have gone from being a drug dealer to selling millions of albums a year. Which of the two do you think is better? BTW, since you've obviously never listened to Jay-Z (or any other rappers I doubt) he doesn't glorify killing mofos and f*cking hoes, he sings about his experience growing up in "da hood" and his lyrics have actual meaning to them. This doesn't mean there aren't rappers out there doing what you say they do, but it also doesn't mean that's what all rappers do. Many do exactly as Jay-Z and some even take it a step further by trying to uplift their people. Take Nas for example. The vast majority of his songs are made to help the black youth out there avoid the mistakes that some in their position make. Of course, you've never listened to Nas so you wouldn't know this.
#2 Yes, that's right. The goal of every black man is to obtain massive quantities of "bling bling" so as to obtain some cheap poontang. Where the hell did you get this idea? I have yet to meet a single black person who's sole goal in life was to get as much bling bling as humanly possible. That's not to say there aren't people out there that this applies to, but nowhere near the epidemic proportions you imply by addressing your post to black people in general.
#3 Yes, black people love living in the ghetto
rolleye.gif
This is just a moronic statement. I'm not even going to debate it. NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE IN THE GHETTO!
#4 Other than a few wacky liberals, no one actually claims ebonics as a language.
#5 I'm sure the average black person takes great pride in the fact that a relative of theirs receives government assistance... (which is another stereotype) Welfare is like crack. If you've been beaten down by society all your life and were in fact raised in the ghetto, I doubt you'd have much desire to get off government assistance either.
#6 I won't argue this point, blasting music and acting like a thug is retarded. Once again though, not every black person does this.
#7 Most black people would disagree with you on this one. To get into corporate America one generally does have to sell out (as a black person anyway). Since when does attaining money make one a better person or bestow "enlightened" status upon them? That's just as bad a view to have as the rare black person who's sole goal in life is to get lots of flashy jewelry and get laid all the time.
#8 Why does it matter to you what political opinions the majority of black people hold? You seem not to have much respect for them anyway by your above statements that it shouldn't matter to you who they vote for. Besides, the way you've presented your arguments wouldn't sway ANYONE. Boy, nothing changes a person's opinion like being insulted
rolleye.gif

#9 This is true. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER POLITICIAN!
#10 All I have to say to this one is bullsh*t. You can sit there and say that but you know most whites are distrustful of blacks and would rather not work with them.

Your statements are quite sad... I'm glad I no longer believe any of that crap.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

How can these boys learn to be men when no men to mentor? Thier fathers left...Thier primary school teachers are overwhelmingly female and they have very few positive male role models.. And the majority of male role models they see is pimps and drug dealers livin' the thug life. This IMO developes a man into a permanent boy who is selfish, lacks focus, has an entilement attitude, care little for the society in which he lives, and will have these problems thoughout his life.

#2 having bling bling does nothing but get you some short term heiny and condemning you to a life of the ghetto
#3 Just because you were born in the ghetto does not mean you have to stay there
#5 You should be embarassed if a relative of yours is too lazy to work and gets a welfare check
#6 White people can listen to rap as well, wearing saggy pants, having 3k spinners on your POS ride, driving with the seat laid back practically touching the back seat, and having your windows rolled down while blasting your radio will not get you any. It makes everyone double clutch their purse and do a wallet check, because yes you are a ghetto thug.
#7 You are not a sellout if you make it in corporate america or desire to not be held down by your ghetto brethren. You have opened your eyes and you can be considered enlightened
#8 Just because you choose to vote other than democrat does not void your Black man status
#10 Professional white people would rather be surrounded by professional black people than trailer trash. We are not all rednecks and most would like to see people elevate their status in society regardless of color. The less people receiving public assistance and actually paying back to society the less we have to pay.

A Cobb County executive pointed out to me one of the ways youngsters get sidetracked, especially if parents are not closely involved with students' success
Exactly, everything starts at the home. Stop cheering for him making that touchdown catch and help him with his research paper and trig.

This is some of the most stereotypical bullsh*t I've seen in awhile... Do you really think that lowly of black people? They're not monkeys, you know. They have thoughts and feelings just like you and I.
#1 While you may not think the rappers you mentioned are role models, the fact that they're using their talents to make a good living and not out on the streets selling drugs or mugging people is a pretty damn good start if you ask me. While their lyrics may not be relevant to you, most rappers sing about the plight of the average black man and their lyrics certainly do resonate with said average black man. Jay-Z happens to have gone from being a drug dealer to selling millions of albums a year. Which of the two do you think is better? BTW, since you've obviously never listened to Jay-Z (or any other rappers I doubt) he doesn't glorify killing mofos and f*cking hoes, he sings about his experience growing up in "da hood" and his lyrics have actual meaning to them. This doesn't mean there aren't rappers out there doing what you say they do, but it also doesn't mean that's what all rappers do. Many do exactly as Jay-Z and some even take it a step further by trying to uplift their people. Take Nas for example. The vast majority of his songs are made to help the black youth out there avoid the mistakes that some in their position make. Of course, you've never listened to Nas so you wouldn't know this.
#2 Yes, that's right. The goal of every black man is to obtain massive quantities of "bling bling" so as to obtain some cheap poontang. Where the hell did you get this idea? I have yet to meet a single black person who's sole goal in life was to get as much bling bling as humanly possible. That's not to say there aren't people out there that this applies to, but nowhere near the epidemic proportions you imply by addressing your post to black people in general.
rolleye.gif
This is just a moronic statement. I'm not even going to debate it. NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE IN THE GHETTO!
#4 Other than a few wacky liberals, no one actually claims ebonics as a language.
#5 I'm sure the average black person takes great pride in the fact that a relative of theirs receives government assistance... (which is another stereotype) Welfare is like crack. If you've been beaten down by society all your life and were in fact raised in the ghetto, I doubt you'd have much desire to get off government assistance either.
#6 I won't argue this point, blasting music and acting like a thug is retarded. Once again though, not every black person does this.
#7 Most black people would disagree with you on this one. To get into corporate America one generally does have to sell out (as a black person anyway). Since when does attaining money make one a better person or bestow "enlightened" status upon them? That's just as bad a view to have as the rare black person who's sole goal in life is to get lots of flashy jewelry and get laid all the time.
#8 Why does it matter to you what political opinions the majority of black people hold? You seem not to have much respect for them anyway by your above statements that it shouldn't matter to you who they vote for. Besides, the way you've presented your arguments wouldn't sway ANYONE. Boy, nothing changes a person's opinion like being insulted
rolleye.gif

#10 All I have to say to this one is bullsh*t. You can sit there and say that but you know most whites are distrustful of blacks and would rather not work with them.

1.) Yes because trying to being a famous Gangster Rapper ( of which maybe less then 1% of the black population will ever be ! ) instead of a doctor is a good career choice/goal and great role modeling. Get real and wake the hell up !

2.) It may not be their goal but some of them sure ass hell make it harder on themselves to "Get out the Hood". You don't get out of the ghetto by being lazy, ignorant, hostile, and then making up excuses for yourself and blaming others as to why you never succeeded in life.

4.) LoL - You never been to Oakland have you ! Or dealt with kids who flat out deny that their use of slang is not a separate language because mommy said so.

5.) Yes society is always at fault here right ? I mean it could of never of been the bad decisions they made as youth's to try to be the biggest and toughest thug/rapper in the hood instead of working towards the goal of going to college right ??
rolleye.gif

6.) He never implied that every black person does this. He was just pointing out that this does not lead to success in life.

7.) LOL - So I guess not using slang in the work place is selling out ? Come on ! Corporate America is almost entirely all about professionalism and how you carry yourself as a person. Of course I will not say that their is no racism in Corporate America BUT if you act professional and behave in a similar manner a large percentage of people will and shall show you respect and treat you accordingly.

8.) No I think he is just saying the same thing as remark number 7. Choosing a particular party or political affiliation does not mean you are a sellout ! The problem with black people today is that the majority them tend to box themselves into corners because it's popular amongst themselves to do so. What has the democratic party ever done to really up lift the black community ? While I agree that Rep's have rarely if ever cared about or even try'd to help out the black community. Yet it still does not mean that individuals should be labeled as outcasts if they want to build bridges with Rep's or any other group political group.

9.) Well if a person cultivates a aura of thug-ism and brings a gangster mentality, well then people will and shall be afraid of him/her. This is just a fact of life that people do not like people who behave like and admire gangsters. If the person comes off as being professional and courteous then you'd be surprise at the type of response that person would receive.

In the end his statements are all dead on target IMHO.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

1.) Yes because trying to being a famous Gangster Rapper ( of which maybe less then 1% of the black population will ever be ! ) instead of a doctor is a good career choice/goal and great role modeling. Get real and wake the hell up !

2.) It may not be their goal but some of them sure ass hell make it harder on themselves to "Get out the Hood". You don't get out of the ghetto by being lazy, ignorant, hostile, and then making up excuses for yourself and blaming others as to why you never succeeded in life.

4.) LoL - You never been to Oakland have you ! Or dealt with kids who flat out deny that their use of slang is not a separate language because mommy said so.

5.) Yes society is always at fault here right ? I mean it could of never of been the bad decisions they made as youth's to try to be the biggest and toughest thug/rapper in the hood instead of working towards the goal of going to college right ??
rolleye.gif

6.) He never implied that every black person does this. He was just pointing out that this does not lead to success in life.

7.) LOL - So I guess not using slang in the work place is selling out ? Come on ! Corporate America is almost entirely all about professionalism and how you carry yourself as a person. Of course I will not say that their is no racism in Corporate America BUT if you act professional and behave in a similar manner a large percentage of people will and shall show you respect and treat you accordingly.

8.) No I think he is just saying the same thing as remark number 7. Choosing a particular party or political affiliation does not mean you are a sellout ! The problem with black people today is that the majority them tend to box themselves into corners because it's popular amongst themselves to do so. What has the democratic party ever done to really up lift the black community ? While I agree that Rep's have rarely if ever cared about or even try'd to help out the black community. Yet it still does not mean that individuals should be labeled as outcasts if they want to build bridges with Rep's or any other group political group.

9.) Well if a person cultivates a aura of thug-ism and brings a gangster mentality, well then people will and shall be afraid of him/her. This is just a fact of life that people do not like people who behave like and admire gangsters. If the person comes off as being professional and courteous then you'd be surprise at the type of response that person would receive.

In regards to affirmation two, no one in "the town" (oakland) thinks ebonics is a seperate language.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
I thought this was an interesting read and a rather blunt wake-up call.

Text of article.

By the time Blacks are in high school it's too late for a fundamental change in mentality, you need to have that from an early age or else chances for redemption are slim.

Good article... but I didn't appreciate the doo-rag bit...

I like my doo-rags =(

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Gnote

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

In regards to affirmation two, no one in "the town" (oakland) thinks ebonics is a seperate language.

Oakland is the birth place of this Ebonics crap'ola.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Gnote

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Oakland is the birth place of this Ebonics crap'ola.

By SCHOOL administrators and bureaucrats that thought they were doing something new and innovating to battle bad test scores and drop out rates?

Think about it, do you really think the parents of kids that go to Skyline, Castlemont, Foothill, Oakland Tech, and other Oakland schools went to School site meetings and complained to the council that because class in school were being taught in ?proper English? so their kids couldn?t learn?

This Ebonics nonsense was probably developed by some grad-student Afro-American or professor at UC Berkeley and picked up by an Oakland School Council desperate to improve test scores, not by the kids or the parents of kids attending the OUSD.

rolleye.gif

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001

sounds like bush is really a black kid by your definition..

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: kage69
Er.....you didn't read the article, did you? There's not a single mention of AA in it

I didn't mean to suggest there was, sorry you took it that way. Train-of-thought thing and all that I guess.

I have a friend who was denied an EMT position despite him having the 2nd highest rating of his class. Seems his whiteness didn't conform to someone's quota. Although he didn't get too specific, he said 2 black guys from his class who were "complete muppets" now are full fledged EMTs. I guess I don't like hearing about slackers being shuffled into postions of (especially) medical importance.

but you don't mind it when our society benefits overpriledged white people and hands them less important jobs like ...president of the USA when they're hardly qualified?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Pers

sounds like bush is really a black kid by your definition..

You're partially right I don't think Bush had a father fiqure growing up. Exhibit 1: 40 years of self-abusive behavior maybe he found it spirtually:p or maybe he's good at hiding it..but IMO not so good at hiding it. He still exhibits triats of a thug but he had the money to hide it.exhibit 2

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
he said 2 black guys from his class who were "complete muppets" now are full fledged EMTs. I guess I don't like hearing about slackers being shuffled into postions of (especially) medical importance
The key words here are "he said" I would say that there is probably no truth to his statement, juist another racist that blames all his problems and failures on those "damm black people".

Bleep

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Bleep
he said 2 black guys from his class who were "complete muppets" now are full fledged EMTs. I guess I don't like hearing about slackers being shuffled into postions of (especially) medical importance
The key words here are "he said" I would say that there is probably no truth to his statement, juist another racist that blames all his problems and failures on those "damm black people".

Bleep

It's not just "damn black people". Any minority-owned business qualifies for expedited contract processing under 8(a) government contracting.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

Amen

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
It's safe to say the real problem these kids face is the racism they face as exhibited by the statements made in this thread.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN
It's safe to say the real problem these kids face is the racism they face as exhibited by the statements made in this thread.
I really don't think that's the case. Racism is alive and well, but "whitey" doesn't need to bother keeping "the brothers" (tounge planted in cheek here) down if they're literally their own worst enemy. Racism is little more than an annoyance if you're not even close to entering the workplace and moving up the social food chain. I think that's essentially the point the author is trying to make; that the kids and their parents have to break the cycle on their own. The sub-lesson is that the state of the black family in the US is in dire need of an overhaul. I recall someone posting what seemed like an absurdly high figure for black kids born out of wedlock; I was all ready to flame the guy, but went and looked up the stat for myself first and damn if it wasn't factual. A single parent who's working three jobs just to pay the rent hardly has time to impart wisdom and guidance to her kids. My wife's sister was a teacher in inner-city Houston for several years and one of the biggest challenges she faced with her kids was getting the parents to actually give a sh*t and correct the kid if he/she wasn't doing well or misbehaving. Most of the parents were just non-entities in the kid's lives. Sad.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
I really don't think that's the case. Racism is alive and well, but "whitey" doesn't need to bother keeping "the brothers" (tounge planted in cheek here) down if they're literally their own worst enemy. Racism is little more than an annoyance if you're not even close to entering the workplace and moving up the social food chain. I think that's essentially the point the author is trying to make; that the kids and their parents have to break the cycle on their own. The sub-lesson is that the state of the black family in the US is in dire need of an overhaul. I recall someone posting what seemed like an absurdly high figure for black kids born out of wedlock; I was all ready to flame the guy, but went and looked up the stat for myself first and damn if it wasn't factual. A single parent who's working three jobs just to pay the rent hardly has time to impart wisdom and guidance to her kids. My wife's sister was a teacher in inner-city Houston for several years and one of the biggest challenges she faced with her kids was getting the parents to actually give a sh*t and correct the kid if he/she wasn't doing well or misbehaving. Most of the parents were just non-entities in the kid's lives. Sad.

I have to disagree. Racism is the root of the problem. It's easy to say racism isn't when you're not the victim of it.

These kids carry the extra burden racism imposes on them daily as evidenced by some of the posts above.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

I have to disagree. Racism is the root of the problem. It's easy to say racism isn't when you're not the victim of it.

These kids carry the extra burden racism imposes on them daily as evidenced by some of the posts above.
It's a contributing factor IMHO, but not the root of the problem. The kid's already got two strikes against him with an absentee father and mom working three jobs. If he starts to slide, there's no one there to stop him and put him back on track. In my childhood if I came home with bad grades or got detention there were going to be reprecussions; as such, I got good grades and didn't get in trouble much. Obviously, this isn't the absolute cure since there are junior felons running around whose parents are very involved in their lives, but parental involvement certainly helps.

As before, racism isn't going away, but I don't think it's necessarily the root of the problem. If it were, you wouldn't see the statistical differences between black boys and black girls.