Young, black and on track ... Why African-American boys often fail in school

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: Fausto1
whats sad about this thread is the miss shifted focus.

KIDS are failing, they are quitting on their education and ruining their lives and instead of discussing possible solutions we are discussing ridulous issues.

this is a societal problem.
Yup.....and that was the point. A bunch of semi-functional members of society running amok isn't good for anyone.

btw, i'm sure it's not just young black boys, i'm willing to bet that most boys from single parent families living in the inner cities, black white yellow red or blue are going to have significantly higher drop out rates than their counterparts from middle class suburbia.
Generally true. I think the focus of the article was on black boys as they're statistically the most prominent dropouts. Factor the high birth rate of wedlock and absentee fathers in there for good measure.
i agree. and it probably is primarily a black problem but i'm not sure it's due to their race or racism but due to the way their families are being structured.

many have argued that the coke trade in the inner cities is designed to weaken and destroy the black people. I don't actually believe that there is such a conspiracy, but whethor or not the INTENT is there the effect seems to be the same.

Drugs in the inner city (and i'm not saying all black people are users and/or pushers) but drugs in the inner city and the culture that it has created is effectively destroying the black population in america.

IT is a societal problem whether we middle class want to acknowledge it or not. Plus the whole ILLEGAL drugs thing is reprehensible anyway.

will there always be poor people?? yes, in my opinion there will be. but in the past inner city people had a better shot at a future than they do today.

there is definitely a sense of helplessness in the inner cities.

The problem is, its not just inner cities. Wealthly black students, in affluent wealthly black suburb areas do just as poorly as those in the inner cities. Or atleast thats what some studies have concluded.
i haven't done a study per se, but all the black students i met in college came from middle class homes. i don't remember 1 single black student that i met in college that came from the inner city. that to me is a strong indication that black kids from middle class backgrounds do better in school than black kids from the inner city.

btw, I grew up in atlanta so i knew quite a few black people in middle school / high school.

It all IMHO has to do with parenting, those with parents that involved with their childrens education, do better than those that do not.

Thats the problem, alot of rich blacks have two parents that are constently working "to provide a better life for their child", while not being involved in their education. Then you have alot of inner city families that have either one parent or two parents that constently work to provide for their families.

IMHO anyone that has parents involved with their education will do better than those that do not. It has nothing to do really with poor or rich. If you make time and make a childs education a priority, it doesnt matter if the family is poor, middle class, or wealthy, the child will do better.
Further evidence supporting this theory: remember the Lost Children of Rockdale County story on PBS? A wealthy, mostly white community full of "both parents work" or single parent households (divorce) where there was little/no communication or supervision of the kids. The kids went freaking nuts and were getting wasted constantly, failing school and organizing sex parties. The only reason the freaking parents finally caught on was that a whole mess of the kids were infected with various STDs that they'd passed around.

Just goes to show you that lack of parental involvement will screw up the kids regardless of race or social strata.
Sex parties! Damn, I grew up in the wrong place!! ;)

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
the difference between those rich people and poor people, is those people will go to rehab and have the resources to get their life back in order. the poor people will be stuck for the rest of their lives.

the issue about failure is more than just our disfunctional environment for everyone. sure if you don't have family support you're more likely to fail. but even if blacks have this support they still are more likely to fail. in affluent neighborhoods, blacks still underperform. that is the reason why people still support AA. otherwise they would just do socioeconomic policies.

imo, you can't solve this unless you get black leaders demanding more of their own people. when white kids screw up, who get's blamed? society composed of parents and the kids. and they move to solve the problem, because they feel empowered to effect change in their society. they help themselves. no one said it's society keeping them down, because they think they're part of society. they see that their lifestyle has made those problems.

when blacks fail, look what happens. everyone is looking for a reason and scapegoat. no one just says tough sh1t, work harder to parents and kids. no one takes personal responsibility to help themselves because it's pointless. they're told the reason is external not internal. the man is keeping you down. this also supports why teachers don't hold black kids to the same standards, they believe it's external.

this is also the same as for terrorism, white supremacy, yadda yadda. the problem is external.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: da loser
the difference between those rich people and poor people, is those people will go to rehab and have the resources to get their life back in order. the poor people will be stuck for the rest of their lives.

the issue about failure is more than just our disfunctional environment for everyone. sure if you don't have family support you're more likely to fail. but even if blacks have this support they still are more likely to fail. in affluent neighborhoods, blacks still underperform. that is the reason why people still support AA. otherwise they would just do socioeconomic policies.

imo, you can't solve this unless you get black leaders demanding more of their own people. when white kids screw up, who get's blamed? society composed of parents and the kids. and they move to solve the problem, because they feel empowered to effect change in their society. they help themselves. no one said it's society keeping them down, because they think they're part of society. they see that their lifestyle has made those problems.

when blacks fail, look what happens. everyone is looking for a reason and scapegoat. no one just says tough sh1t, work harder to parents and kids. no one takes personal responsibility to help themselves because it's pointless. they're told the reason is external not internal. the man is keeping you down. this also supports why teachers don't hold black kids to the same standards, they believe it's external.

this is also the same as for terrorism, white supremacy, yadda yadda. the problem is external.
thats where true racism resides. We hold EVERYONE in this country accountable EXCEPT black people. lack of accountability = lack of pride.

no one is more racist against black people than their own leaders who are always claiming "black people need a hand here, black people need an hand there" and all failures by black people are ALWAYS blamed on racism. THAT is not to say that racism DOESN'T Exist, just that it shouldn't be used as an excuse.

ASK THE COMMUNITY