you may not want ice in that drink

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334533/Ice-restaurants-bacteria-water-toilets.html

Scientific tests have shown that ice from branches of McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Starbucks, Cafe Rouge and Nando’s all had higher levels of bacteria than samples of water taken from their lavatory bowls. Experts say it could be due to them being cleaned more often than the ice machines.

None of the samples found presented an immediate health danger, but four contained such high levels of microbes the restaurants should be considered a ‘hygiene risk’, according to a Government-accredited laboratory.

Granted this was in Britain, but still I would think twice now. How well are the US restaurants regulated when it comes to ice machines?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
It's not that the ice is dirty, it's that toilet water (particularly in commercial settings) is cleaner than our intuition would tell us.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
article-0-1A1A0BCC000005DC-113_634x472.jpg

That guy is doing a really good job of conveying that he would rather not be holding filthy ice and toilet water.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Moral of the story ... get the water that you use to make ice from the loo?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
these kinds of tests have been done many times throughout the years

Yeah, it reminds me of the panic started when they tested the bacteria levels in the iced tea containers in restaurants. Most people don't bother to read this sentence "None of the samples found presented an immediate health danger". When it's an immediate health danger, then I'll care.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
It's not that the ice is dirty, it's that toilet water (particularly in commercial settings) is cleaner than our intuition would tell us.

despite that, i'd rather eat harmless bacteria than harmless shit particles

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I hate these studies...

So, there's MORE bacteria, but what TYPES of bacteria are there?

Is there more of the type that will kill you in the location with more bacteria?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I hate these studies...

So, there's MORE bacteria, but what TYPES of bacteria are there?

Is there more of the type that will kill you in the location with more bacteria?
They're all lactobacillus.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Yeah, it reminds me of the panic started when they tested the bacteria levels in the iced tea containers in restaurants. Most people don't bother to read this sentence "None of the samples found presented an immediate health danger". When it's an immediate health danger, then I'll care.

People would rather throw up arms over 0.1 ppb of mercury in their tap water than to install an anti-slip toilet mat even though falls kill tons of people every year.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Moral of the story ... get the water that you use to make ice from the loo?

Maybe that is what they're doing, hence the increased bacteria by the time it makes it to your drink. :eek:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not really surprising actually. How often do those machines actually get cleaned, if at all? Most people running those places are teenagers getting paid minimum wage.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I remember a story similar/identical to this before (but in the USA) and in it they take samples from the toilet immediately after flushing, which doesn't say much.

I avoid ice because it means more soda/pink lemonade/whatever.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
builds up the immune system.

so many pansies in the world today.

Ice machines, dairy dispensing machines, food prep areas, ect. all need to be on a cleaning schedule, if it's not followed a nice clump of mold might wind up in your soda but I guess you wouldn't mind puking your guts up for a day or two, prolly send 'em a thank you note for "toughening up" your lower GI tract..