You like Jazz? How about over 1000 hours of the really old classic stuff for FREE? OK

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I haven't downloaded any of this yet (so I have no idea how they actually sound), but just the idea itself is quite cool! Out of curiosity, where did you dig up this and the other site you posted, with the academic lectures?

smartadze

Feb 12, 2004
Thank you OP.

Mr. Niven recorded these from vinyl LP's to cassette tape, presumably using the technology available in 1975-1982. The 30+ year old cassette tapes were played analog into a desktop, and software converted the files to MP3 at a bitrate of from 96 to 160.

Just for grins, a couple years back I converted my old car stereo tapes to MP3, and the results weren't even close to what I could get from playing the LP's directly into the desktop.

The LP's are indeed treasures - but do you want to listen to your dad's old cassette tapes from the '80's?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
wow.

aside from the fact that it's technically copyright infringement (not that anyone would care), the sound quality is terrible (LP to cassette, and it wasn't that good to start with).

Also, jazz has moved on from this since long time - it has the novelty equivalent of cycling around on a pennyfarthing. I really, really hope you people don't get these in your car and drive around while thinking to yourself "i'm listening to jazz".

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
i would suggest you look into
So basically you consider that any composer and/or performer becomes, shall we say passé, immediately upon or shortly after their demise... /facepalm

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i consider that if you really want to listen to satchmo, you should probably buy a cd, you get one for $0.99 from ebay. but what do i know, i'm just a guy who made his living from recording and managing jazz performers.