You know you're screwed for grad school when...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Originally posted by: Safeway
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
Originally posted by: TallBill
3.0 is low?

When you're trying to get an advanced degree? Yes.

No. It isn't low for grad school.

It's the minimum requirement for quite a few graduate programs...I would say that's low.

Not sure what grad programs you are talking about, but UT Austin's Engineering grad programs are top ranked (even a few #1s) and there isn't any such minimum.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
3.0 is low?

Yea, it is low. However, the OP can emphasize the final two years. When i went to grad school i had a 3.4 cumulative, but the last two years was 3.98 (or something like that). I wasnt terribly motivated my first year and bombed a couple classes.

mitaiwan82

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
3.0 is low?

It's the minimum requirement for quite a few graduate programs...I would say that's low.

Not sure what grad programs you are talking about, but UT Austin's Engineering grad programs are top ranked (even a few #1s) and there isn't any such minimum.

it's hard to get into UT's top engineering programs (i.e. Computer Engineering) with that sort of GPA...you'd need to have some other tremendous qualifications in order to be admitted. They don't fuck around in (some) engineering.

Here's an excerpt from UT ECE's grad admission page:

A typical successful applicant to the ECE Graduate Program has a GPA (grade point average) in upper division coursework (junior and senior level, or comparable) of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (or comparable GPA).

A typical successful applicant to the ECE Graduate Program has scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) that fall within the ranges listed below. These ranges are based on the average GRE scores of students admitted to the program for the 2007-2008 academic year:

Verbal: 550 - 800
Quantitative: 750 - 800
Analytical: 5.0 - 6.0

Fourier Transform

May 24, 2007
I got into the MASc program at the University of Toronto for EE with < 3.0 GPA. Then again, I had a prof. pulling for me so that probably helped a ton.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: mitaiwan82
3.0 is low?

it's hard to get into UT's top engineering programs (i.e. Computer Engineering) with that sort of GPA...you'd need to have some other tremendous qualifications in order to be admitted. They don't fuck around in (some) engineering.

Here's an excerpt from UT ECE's grad admission page:

A typical successful applicant to the ECE Graduate Program has a GPA (grade point average) in upper division coursework (junior and senior level, or comparable) of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (or comparable GPA).

A typical successful applicant to the ECE Graduate Program has scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) that fall within the ranges listed below. These ranges are based on the average GRE scores of students admitted to the program for the 2007-2008 academic year:

Verbal: 550 - 800
Quantitative: 750 - 800
Analytical: 5.0 - 6.0

UT has the #1 Geotechnical Engineering grad program in the nation, and I know of at least one student (just graduated) that had a 2.8 undergrad GPA.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
UT has the #1 Geotechnical Engineering grad program in the nation, and I know of at least one student (just graduated) that had a 2.8 undergrad GPA.

Anecdotal. There is always going to be someone who is accepted with a GPA lower than the requirement. They usually know someone or have amazing credentials otherwise. Look at the stats for accepted classes, and you will be hard pressed to find an avg. GPA lower than 3.5. Of course, this is based purely on my research for grad programs, and is not all encompassing.

Adn4n

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2004
I know a guy that took 7 years to get his BS in Mechanical Engineering. He has a 3.0 as well. He said all you really need is a few recommendations. I suggest you do what he told me to do, that is, sit in the front of class and engage yourself with the professor so that he knows who you are.

And I should point out that he was admitted to the master's program.