You know you're from Chicago when...

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
You know you're from Chicago when:
1. The "Living Room" is called the "front room"
2. You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irritated at people who do.
3. You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away.
4. You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines" or "Lisle".
5. Your school classes were canceled because of cold.
6. Your school classes were canceled because of heat.
7. You've had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
8. Stores don't have sacks, they have bags.
9. You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: "Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall, I wanna go with."
10. Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the >side.
11. You carry jumper cables in your car.
12. You drink "pop."
13. You understand that I -290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads.
14. You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Dan Ryan, and the Edens. But you call the interstates "expressways".
15. You refer to anything south of I-80 as "Southern Illinois".
16. You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake".
17. You refer to Chicago as "The City".
18. "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986. GO BEARS!!
19. No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago.
20. You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers.
21. You buy "The Trib".
22. You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
23. You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog.
24. You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is.
25. You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City", and it's not because of the wind.
26. You understand what "lake-effect" means.
27. You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, know which station they end up at.
28. You have ridden the "L".
29. You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847, 630, 773, 708, 312, & 815.
30. You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter.
31. You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a "side", example: "WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTH SIDE.
32. You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet (588-2300)

"Borrowed" from BroadbandReports.com Chicago forum...:D I can identify with at least 15 of those :D

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
12. You drink "pop."

My dad still refers to it as "pop."

Of course, no one in Dallas other than our family understands him when he does.

Dec 28, 2001
10. Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side

Whoever wrote this must've attended ISU for college - and a lot of this hits close to home - who in their right mind calls 'bags', 'sacks'? Weirdos. A lot of this is just common sense, people! :p:p:p

Originally posted by: Jehovah
10. Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side

Whoever wrote this must've attended ISU for college - and a lot of this hits close to home - who in their right mind calls 'bags', 'sacks'? Weirdos. A lot of this is just common sense, people! :p:p:p

do you call it your ball sack or your ball bag?:p

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: FallenHero

do you call it your ball sack or your ball bag?:p

8. Stores don't have sacks, they have bags.

A store has my 'bag'?! WTF?!

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
#33: You don't know what a turn signal is
#34: You think the blinking light on the back of other people's cars means for you to speed up

AdvancedRobotics

Jul 30, 2002
2. You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irritated at people who do.

does anyone actually pronounce the "s"?

11. You carry jumper cables in your car

how is this specific to Chicago

12. You drink "pop."

a lot of old people still call it "pop."

30. You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter.

Hahaha! I gotta try that

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
1 ... true true
2 ... You aren't supposed to pronounce the S. if you do its incorrect.
3 ... I use KM for distance ... it pisses off all the non-metrickly inclined
4 ... I used to live in Des Plaines .. so i better be able to spell it
5 ... never happened (they did have snow days, but that was because bussses couldn't get thru
6 ... never happened (they just popped the windows open)
7 ... true dat!
8 ... that is true .. the sack is the skin that holds gonads
9 ... true dat!
10 . mmm
11 . Anybody that doesn't carry jumper cables really should.
12 . pop is good!
13 . true dat!
14 . true dat!
15 . true true!
16 . yea
17 . agreed
18 . hahahahahaha
19 . yes
20 . hah yep
21 . nah, I dont buy the trib ... but my mom does
22 . 35 degrees F is, C is WAYYY TO Friggin Hot
23 . mmm food
24 . Chicago Style pizza is the Best pizza. Lou Malnatis, and Ginos East are the bomb
25 . so
26 . simple weather pattern
27 . yah
28 . yah
29 . yea .. and theres gonna be more soon
30 . I live in teh suburbs ... so I haven't done this myself
31 . I live in teh suburbs ... doesn't apply to me
32 . well they have played those TV commercials my whole life ... I better know it!

MaxDSP, Your Post was most Amusing!

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
#33: You don't know what a turn signal is
#34: You think the blinking light on the back of other people's cars means for you to speed up

#35 You hate Wisconsinites...especially ones from Waukesha :D

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
1 ... true true
2 ... You aren't supposed to pronounce the S. if you do its incorrect.
3 ... I use KM for distance ... it pisses off all the non-metrickly inclined
4 ... I used to live in Des Plaines .. so i better be able to spell it
5 ... never happened (they did have snow days, but that was because bussses couldn't get thru
6 ... never happened (they just popped the windows open)
7 ... true dat!
8 ... that is true .. the sack is the skin that holds gonads
9 ... true dat!
10 . mmm
11 . Anybody that doesn't carry jumper cables really should.
12 . pop is good!
13 . true dat!
14 . true dat!
15 . true true!
16 . yea
17 . agreed
18 . hahahahahaha
19 . yes
20 . hah yep
21 . nah, I dont buy the trib ... but my mom does
22 . 35 degrees F is, C is WAYYY TO Friggin Hot
23 . mmm food
24 . Chicago Style pizza is the Best pizza. Lou Malnatis, and Ginos East are the bomb
25 . so
26 . simple weather pattern
27 . yah
28 . yah
29 . yea .. and theres gonna be more soon
30 . I live in teh suburbs ... so I haven't done this myself
31 . I live in teh suburbs ... doesn't apply to me
32 . well they have played those TV commercials my whole life ... I better know it!

MaxDSP, Your Post was most Amusing!

sweet, I live in Des Plaines right now, so I better know how to spell it also. :D

Dec 28, 2001
90% of high school graduates that attend college go to either 'University of Illinois', University of Illinois Chicago (UIC)' or 'Illinois State University'

90% of high school graduates that attend college go to either 'University of Illinois', University of Illinois Chicago (UIC)' or 'Illinois State University'

piss on U of I. I hope that school burns.

Dec 28, 2001

Why? I love that school!

Why? I love that school!

overrated POS. Arrogance seems to come from those I know that are attending, as they are "better" than everyone else.

Dec 28, 2001

Why? I love that school!

overrated POS. Arrogance seems to come from those I know that are attending, as they are "better" than everyone else.

Maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd . . . well, honestly, I get that sometimes, but I guess not as much as you?

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
They forgot one:

You know that real softball is played with a 16" "clincher" and without gloves.

Go Illini!!

Why? I love that school!

Maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd . . . well, honestly, I get that sometimes, but I guess not as much as you?

I suppose not. But hey, if you got the same reaction from those that go to U of I as i do when I tell them i go to Western, you would feel the same way.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
13. You understand that I -290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads.

You know, people who have no concept of how the interstate highway system is numbered really bug the hell out of me.

Copied from this page http://www.usastar.com/i95/annivsry.htm

One or two digit even-numbered Interstates are always east-west routes. The numbers increase from the south (I-4) to the north (I-96).

One or two digit odd-numbered Interstates are always north-south routes. The numbers increase from the West Coast (I-5) to the East Coast (I-95).

Three digit Interstates with the first digit an even number are usually circular loops or "beltways" around cities (eg. I-295 around Richmond/Petersburg Virginia or I-695 around Baltimore)
Three digit Interstates with the first digit an odd number are usually "spurs" that leave or go into a city center. (eg. I-395 in Washington D.C. or I-195 in Providence RI)

The last two digits of a three digit Interstate represent the major Interstate route that it is connected to. Each state uses this format and there can be several I-295's for example, along I-95. (Portland, Providence, New York City, Trenton, Wilmington, Washington, Richmond, and Jacksonville).