You know what'd be really useful? A programmable magnetic card for EVERYTHING

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Let's see...I have my

Rev It With Dew gift card
Mastercard gift card (from the Expedition test drive thing)
Dormitory ID card
Credit card
ATM card
Hallmark card
Library card
University ID card
Blockbuster card

Is it too much to ask to have a magnetic card than can remember each pattern for these cards and then give the right one at the right time? The only cards here with a signature on them are my credit/ATM/mastercard card, but that could be replaced with a small display of the signature or something.

<-- dislikes sitting on this lump of plastic known as a wallet

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing

Is it too much to ask to have a magnetic card than can give whatever code is required depending on the situation? The

yes

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Is it too much to ask to have a magnetic card than can give whatever code is required depending on the situation?
Kind of like having a personal bar code? I would not like that.

ZV

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
imagine the effort would be needed to research, standardize and implement it.

someday... but not today

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Too much security risk.
Okay, take the three cards with signatures off the list and then what? Still too much security risk?
I think its obvious that it is easier to lose one card than to lose three cards or five cards.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Too much security risk.

how is it a security risk? they could have better security if everyone just had one smart card and all locations used some standard secure identification process.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Too much security risk.
Okay, take the three cards with signatures off the list and then what? Still too much security risk?
I think its obvious that it is easier to lose one card than to lose three cards or five cards.

how is it obvious? most people keep their cards in there wallet and if they loose one they most likely lost their whole wallet.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Too much security risk.

Haven't lost my driver's license yet, and I've had that for a while.

Standardize, implement, what exactly? I'm not talking about the "one code to rule them all", I'm talking about a card with a magnetic strip that can be reprogrammed on the fly. Like, you take all your cards, swipe them through a reader, then the reader transfers to the uber-card's memory the pattern for each one.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Too much security risk.

Standardize, implement, what exactly? I'm not talking about the "one code to rule them all", I'm talking about a card with a magnetic strip that can be reprogrammed on the fly. Like, you take all your cards, swipe them through a reader, then the reader transfers to the uber-card's memory the pattern for each one.

ic. well ur post wasn't exaclty very clear on that. i think everybody assumed "one code to rule them all"

in that case umm i think there are things out there that can do what u want. card copying

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: dighn

ic. well ur post wasn't exaclty very clear on that. i think everybody assumed "one code to rule them all"

in that case umm i think there are things out there that can do what u want. card copying

Edited for more clarity. Can you provide a link? I don't want to copy my cards, per se, I want to transfer the magnetic patterns into computer memory and then retrieve them at will.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn

Edited for more clarity. Can you provide a link? I don't want to copy my cards, per se, I want to transfer the magnetic patterns into computer memory and then retrieve them at will.

nope sorry. but i think that's exactly how ppl steal debit cards and the likes :p

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Too much security risk.

Ah, I thought you were talking about "one code to rule them all". Still, what happens when you need 3-4 different cards in the same trip? You'll have to bring the reader along. What happens when the reader (with all the codes) is stolen?

ZV

EDIT: Oops, I was mistaken again. I thought a re-programable card. You're talking about one card with multiple codes on it.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Too much security risk.

The reason why you haven't lost your dl is because you rarely take it out of your wallet to use it. With a dorm card, credit card, etc, you have to keep taking it out of your wallet to use, and one of those times you will forget it somewhere.

Plus its not very practical. Say you did lose your dorm card. You still have all your other cards. You aren't affected as much. Now say you lost your all in one card. You can't buy anything, can't get into your dorm, can't drive, etc.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
The reason why you haven't lost your dl is because you rarely take it out of your wallet to use it. With a dorm card, credit card, etc, you have to keep taking it out of your wallet to use, and one of those times you will forget it somewhere.

Plus its not very practical. Say you did lose your dorm card. You still have all your other cards. You aren't affected as much. Now say you lost your all in one card. You can't buy anything, can't get into your dorm, can't drive, etc.

That's like saying I shouldn't own a PDA/cellphone combo because I keep taking it out and using it and eventually I'm going to lose it and then I'll be in a world of hurt. Integration always brings that risk, you just have to be careful not to lose it. :p Besides, you would still keep all your original cards you just wouldn't carry them around with you all the time.

Zenmervolt, If I understand your post correctly, the idea is that the card can hold all the patterns at once and you can call up the right one for the right situation. Why would you carry the reader around with you?