You heard it here first:St. Joe's will lose!

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
This saturday at 11:30 am on ESPN, my school (The University of Vermont) will play Maine for the american east championship and a guarenetted bid to the tournament. Our star player, the nations fifth leading scorer, Taylor Coppenrath broke his wrist and was thought to be out for the season. Well he was just cleared to pratice today and will probaly play against maine :p My friend and I were talking about who we would play in the tourney, and St. Joe's is most likely. A number 16 seed has never beaten a number 1 and I think we really have a shot at doing it, considering that St. Joe's can't rebound, and with Coppenrath dominating on the inside, we would have a serious chance. If anyone is a college bball fan, just remember this post as the one that call the BIGGEST UPSET in history. :)

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Im not sure, but i dont think St. Joes will be a one seed , and if they are the tournament has gone down the crapper

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
St. Joe's has a very good chance of making the Final Four. Just because they aren't from a big conference does not mean they aren't good. Look at Stanford. They are in a piss-poor conference, but its a major one. I'd take the A-10 in a Pac-10 vs A-10 challenge any day.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: xXped0thugXx
Im not sure, but i dont think St. Joes will be a one seed , and if they are the tournament has gone down the crapper

They will most definitely be a #1 seed. The weakest #1 seed in a long time, but a #1 seed, nonetheless.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
St. Joe's has a very good chance of making the Final Four. Just because they aren't from a big conference does not mean they aren't good. Look at Stanford. They are in a piss-poor conference, but its a major one. I'd take the A-10 in a Pac-10 vs A-10 challenge any day.

hey Saulbadguy, what's UConn going to do without Okafart? My guess is he's not going to play in the BE tournement, and teams are going to bang him hard if they think his back is still bad come tournement time.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA

hey Saulbadguy, what's UConn going to do without Okafart? My guess is he's not going to play in the BE tournement, and teams are going to bang him hard if they think his back is still bad come tournement time.

Well, I can guarantee you they won't win the BE tourney. My guess Pitt will run the table there. UConn is ALWAYS overrated. My guess is , that since most of the sportswriters that get votes are located in or around bristol, CT (espn hq). They are usually not ranked as high in the coaches poll.

My pre championship-week #1 seeds...

OSU
Duke
St Joes
Pitt

I believe those teams will do well in their respective tourneys. I see Stanford falling early in their tourney, as will Miss St. UK is gelling at the right time, and I think they will win the SEC. Gonzaga is just in that small conf. predicament. How would you take them over St Joes when St Joes beat them? They get a 2 seed.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: donlondon
Ted Williams will come back to play for the Yankees before a 16 seed beats a 1

It happened a couple of years ago IIRC. Womens basketball, though.

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Uconn is defiantely overated even though im a hardcore uconn fan. Especially this year... they lost some bad games this year. Pitt is definately gonna come on strong. If i was a betting man (which i am) id make some bets that they make it far.

Sorry i cant see St. Joes doin much, but maybe thats just me. And certainly not UVM doing much of anything. Sorry to burst your bubble but even if they upset, its not gonna go much past that.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bubbadu
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology#

According to this bracket, UVM would acuatly go in as a 15 seed?! And has up against pittsburgh. Of course everything could change... we definlty have a chance at picking off a number 2 seed :p

I think you'd have a better chance against St Joseph's. With how weak they are in the middle they're at least vulnerable if they have a bad shooting day. Pitt has too many weapons for a small school to handle. If a 16 is ever going to beat a 1, St Joe's is the perfect candidate to be upset. I think they're going to win 2 games and then lose to a 4-seed in the Sweet 16, an earlier upset could happen.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Well, I can guarantee you they won't win the BE tourney. My guess Pitt will run the table there. UConn is ALWAYS overrated. My guess is , that since most of the sportswriters that get votes are located in or around bristol, CT (espn hq). They are usually not ranked as high in the coaches poll.

OSU
Duke
St Joes
Pitt

I believe those teams will do well in their respective tourneys. I see Stanford falling early in their tourney, as will Miss St. UK is gelling at the right time, and I think they will win the SEC. Gonzaga is just in that small conf. predicament. How would you take them over St Joes when St Joes beat them? They get a 2 seed.

Gonzaga did not have Turiaf or Violette in that game though. With the Zags bigs I think they could take St Joes today. But you are right about the conference affiliation problem. My #1 seeds

Pitt
Duke (as much as I hate to say it)
Stanford
Miss St.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

OSU
Duke
St Joes
Pitt

Gonzaga did not have Turiaf or Violette in that game though. With the Zags bigs I think they could take St Joes today. But you are right about the conference affiliation problem. My #1 seeds

Pitt
Duke (as much as I hate to say it)
Stanford
Miss St.

It all depends on what happens in those tourneys. I think Stanford will lose to Wazzou though.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I said St. Joes would lose in the NCAA tourney back in the St. Joe's final four thread. As did many others.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Both conferences suck this year...hell the second place team in the PAC10 probably won't go unless it wins a few more games...a team that swept both Arizona and beat an "undefeated albeit cupcake team".

Stanford and St Joes will both be lucky to make the Sweet 16. I don't see either with a chance of going to the Final 4. St Joes will go out in the second round, Stanford in the 2nd or 3rd depending on who they play.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Stanford and St Joes will both be lucky to make the Sweet 16. I don't see either with a chance of going to the Final 4. St Joes will go out in the second round, Stanford in the 2nd or 3rd depending on who they play.

I agree.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
And you are dreaming if ou think Vermont could have beaten St Joes.

Vermont could beat them with Coopenrath in the game, healthy and dominating the inside :p. We got to the big dance last year, and kept up with Arizona for a while, but then they went off on us :( I think we could beat SUCKY St. Joes anyday.

SeaMonki

Jan 26, 2003
given said, Syracuse has beaten both Pitts at their territory and UConn at home. :D

Go 'Cuse! :)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Bad news, Vermont doesn't get the vulnerable and overrated St Joe's, they got matched against a REAL team instead. Say goodnight Gracie, no way are they beating my Huskies.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Bad news, Vermont doesn't get the vulnerable and overrated St Joe's, they got matched against a REAL team instead. Say goodnight Gracie, no way are they beating my Huskies.

Just wait until Coopenrath drops 50!!! on your huskies. You didnt get to see him in person, and yes hes that good.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Mr. Okafor, meet Mr Coppenwrath. Mr Coppenrath, meet your reality check.

Guy had a great year in the America East conference. Just remember why he's in the America East and not the Big East, ACC, SEC, CUSA or any of the other big boys. Dropping 25 on powerhouses like Dartmouth and Marist might look good in the stats, but now he's in the real world.