You have cancer and we need to operate.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
"The former patient has no plans to sue the hospital, which is in talks with him over compensation or other measures, the official said."

Such a huge difference in culture. If this happened in the US, the hospital would be sued for millions.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: cdmccool
"The former patient has no plans to sue the hospital, which is in talks with him over compensation or other measures, the official said."

Such a huge difference in culture. If this happened in the US, the hospital would be sued for millions.

And the hospital would deserve to be sued for millions. Except in this case the hospital is probably going to try to pay him off as quickly as possible.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

That stuck out to me too. I like it. :)

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
So is it just a mere coincidence that a crumpled towel ball looks exactly like a tumor under an mri or other imaging systems used? What else looks like a tumor if its lodged inside of you?

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Mr Pickles
So is it just a mere coincidence that a crumpled towel ball looks exactly like a tumor under an mri or other imaging systems used? What else looks like a tumor if its lodged inside of you?

I think you should experiment, film it, and put the results on youtube.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
If it were me I would be happy it was not a tumor. I wouldnt sue the doc, but I would do some research and find out if this docs has had some other fubars, and if he did I would go out of my way to get his doctorate revoked or something, if he just had the one fubar, then i would let it go and be happy to be alive. Of course I would expect the doc/hospital to not charge me a penny for anything and probably reimburse all expenses. :)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Oyeve
If it were me I would be happy it was not a tumor. I wouldnt sue the doc, but I would do some research and find out if this docs has had some other fubars, and if he did I would go out of my way to get his doctorate revoked or something, if he just had the one fubar, then i would let it go and be happy to be alive. Of course I would expect the doc/hospital to not charge me a penny for anything and probably reimburse all expenses. :)

:thumbsup:

More people need to think like this. I am convinced we would be paying less for health care and insurance if that were the case.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

More people need to think like this. I am convinced we would be paying less for health care and insurance if that were the case.

Yeah good call. I'm also convinced we'd have a lot less doctors.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Yep, this country is Sue-happy.

"I stubbed my toe while wearing sandals and cracked my nail on the curb, I think I will sue the city."

True story, a friend of mine is actually sueing the city for cracking her exposed toenail on a city curb, claims it was too high. :confused: Been trying to talk her out of it. Got her at least down to having the city pay her medical expenses, which is still ridiculous IMO. I say the curb, standard height.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: tefleming
Well, I guess he didn't forget to bring a towel.

Wanna go get high?
lol nice Towelie reference

This is bizarre. Surgical towels are small, like a wash cloth but still, it's gigantic compared to most absorbent materials (like sponges and gauzes) in the OR. "it had been crumpled to the size of a softball" OR's typically use absorbable haemostats now that can be left in the body. Still, OR staff does a count of all packages of sponges and gauze opened for a procedure in numbered waste bags.

Oh and you can't blame the current docs for not knowing what it was and assuming tumour. Nobody expects to find a 25 year old towel in someone's abdomen. It was probably all intermixed with scar tissue and fluid by now anyways. Surprised it took this long for it to bother the patient enough to seek advice. I would have thought after a few months with a bulge and pain that they would have done new follow up Xrays or something.

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
I don't think I'd sue in this case. If it was in there 25 years and didn't kill me I'd consider it no harm. :)

Slight scare is all, I'd laugh it off.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005

Yup

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Oh and they just said tumour, not cancer. The article makes a bad assumption that it is "not cancer". There are lots of benign tumors.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

"I stubbed my toe while wearing sandals and cracked my nail on the curb, I think I will sue the city."

True story, a friend of mine is actually sueing the city for cracking her exposed toenail on a city curb, claims it was too high. :confused: Been trying to talk her out of it. Got her at least down to having the city pay her medical expenses, which is still ridiculous IMO. I say the curb, standard height.

You have friends that are that dumb?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Kev

You have friends that are that dumb?

Just one like that, thankfully.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
In an episode of grey's anatomy a towel was found in a person's body cavity. Guess some of that stuff really does happen.