You guys might be happy to see this

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Qosis
Sure, you guys have the best military in the world...look where it's gotten you.

You guys spent $200 billion on the war in Iraq so far, while we focus our money on expanding the west for the 2010 olympics, education, and healthcare.

Realize something, Canadian's really don't give a crap about their army. We haven't had a single confrontation since the Second World War. When we start stepping on the toes of everyone in the world we'll be a bit more concerned.

Stop insulting our country, there's a reason we live such an excellent quality of life here. (If you really disagree, look at all the independent rankings.)
The single reason Canada "doesn't care" about its military is because the US is right next door. That is why Canada has among the worst militaries per capita of any first world countries. And in regards to "look where it's gotten you", it's gotten the US to the point where it's the only super power on the globe. Before you can go and tote your so-called superior healthcare perhaps you can explain why the waiting list for various treatments is invariably longer in Canada, and people from Canada frequently go to the US for treatment. Canada's healthcare is ONLY better than the US's for poor people and those with no jobs. If you're middle class or above you receive better health care in the US, period. So, although it's warming to see so many Canadians supposedly care about the poor, most of them are doing it at the expense of their own health. Education? Is that to help the economy? Canada's is still weaker, per capita, than the US - and by a good margin too. In regards to Canada not having a single confrontation, Canada has been involved militarily in any number of conflicts over the years, most recently I believe being Afghanistan. Of course its military equipment is such a discrace that it couldn't move much of its own equipment.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Sure, you guys have the best military in the world...look where it's gotten you.

You guys spent $200 billion on the war in Iraq so far, while we focus our money on expanding the west for the 2010 olympics, education, and healthcare.

Realize something, Canadian's really don't give a crap about their army. We haven't had a single confrontation since the Second World War. When we start stepping on the toes of everyone in the world we'll be a bit more concerned.

Stop insulting our country, there's a reason we live such an excellent quality of life here. (If you really disagree, look at all the independent rankings.)
The single reason Canada "doesn't care" about its military is because the US is right next door. That is why Canada has among the worst militaries per capita of any first world countries. And in regards to "look where it's gotten you", it's gotten the US to the point where it's the only super power on the globe. Before you can go and tote your so-called superior healthcare perhaps you can explain why the waiting list for various treatments is invariably longer in Canada, and people from Canada frequently go to the US for treatment. Canada's healthcare is ONLY better than the US's for poor people and those with no jobs. If you're middle class or above you receive better health care in the US, period. So, although it's warming to see so many Canadians supposedly care about the poor, most of them are doing it at the expense of their own health. Education? Is that to help the economy? Canada's is still weaker, per capita, than the US - and by a good margin too. In regards to Canada not having a single confrontation, Canada has been involved militarily in any number of conflicts over the years, most recently I believe being Afghanistan. Of course its military equipment is such a discrace that it couldn't move much of its own equipment.

Must hurt to be 0wned by an ex-pat living in the States. ;)

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't think Canada even had tanks. Getting rid of them was news to me. I guess Canada has come to the conclusion that the U.S. will just protect them if they ever need help defending themselves.

:roll: :roll:

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Would your country be where it's at without the protection of the U.S.? Is it true that Canada's healthcare system is actually failing?

I really like Canada for what I've seen so far. Niagara is a beautiful area. I like the pro-environment commercials and the labels on tobacco products with the pale kid using a breathalizer and the statement "tobacco smoke kills kids" or something like that. :D We need to start doing something like that in the U.S.

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ThePresence
LMAO @ the pic of the leopard tank underneath this new one. I know they're antennas, but it really looks like 2 dudes are fishing off the back of it. :)

ROFLMAO!

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Checked out Canada Army's website. They have a lot of outdated equipment. Not surprising with all the money they waste.

awal

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Originally posted by: Sabot
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Originally posted by: Sabot
Sweet, they look badass.

I'm sort of glad our government isn't spending a retarded amount of money on the military, we just let you guys do the fighting.

that was extremely rude, sabot...

No disrespect, there's no arguement that the U.S military isn't the world's finest and ours is sh!t, spare a few divisions. Still though.

Spare a few divisions? The Canadian Military couldn't field a single full strength division.

And yes, I agree with you, but if I was an American I'd really feel that like a slap in the face.

EDIT: I don't think any planes could carry MBT's?

What the hell is an MBT?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: adrianwalters
What the hell is an MBT?
Main Battle Tank

Anyways, I'm AT's Canadians For A Stronger Military proponent #1. And I think this is a GOOD thing. Frankly, we simply don't have the population (or perhaps culture) to purchase and make proper use of MBTs. Not to mention their impracticality - even a C-17 Globemaster can only lift 2 M1A2 tanks at a time? With the swath of land Canadian forces have to cover, a light tank is just what the doctor ordered. Shifting our abilities to primarily becoming an airborne rapid deployment force seems like the best course of action to me.

Sure, we won't be able to steamroll down opposing heavy mechanized troops, but pretending to be a force that could act independently has been a myth for decades anyways. We can try to fit the crack assault/advance troops profile a la WW2, and leave the really stuck-in-the-mud kind of fighting to our Yankee friends.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
What the hell is an MBT?
Main Battle Tank

Anyways, I'm AT's Canadians For A Stronger Military proponent #1. And I think this is a GOOD thing. Frankly, we simply don't have the population (or perhaps culture) to purchase and make proper use of MBTs. Not to mention their impracticality - even a C-17 Globemaster can only lift 2 M1A2 tanks at a time? With the swath of land Canadian forces have to cover, a light tank is just what the doctor ordered. Shifting our abilities to primarily becoming an airborne rapid deployment force seems like the best course of action to me.

Sure, we won't be able to steamroll down opposing heavy mechanized troops, but pretending to be a force that could act independently has been a myth for decades anyways. We can try to fit the crack assault/advance troops profile a la WW2, and leave the really stuck-in-the-mud kind of fighting to our Yankee friends.

bingo

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
What the hell is an MBT?
Main Battle Tank

C-17 can carry ONE Abrams, which is why the US military pre-positions its military equipment around the globe rather than taking it with them from the States.

Light tanks do make sense for Canada, but a small contingent of heavy armor is still smart for those really touchy situations (think: Somalia). Talk to a tanker and ask him which he'd rather have: a Leopard or a LAV. ;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
at least they have 3.5 submarines, that will keep enemy forces from landing so they won't need the tank

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002

Skoorb .. you're absolutely right on that one.

What people don't realize is that health care is never free. The cost is just being taken from people in the form of taxes. So it appears "free", but it really isn't.

Also, the waiting lists are HUGE compared to the US. While it's not as good as it could be, the US still has the best healthcare system in the world .. and the best doctors, for that matter.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JDub02

Skoorb .. you're absolutely right on that one.

What people don't realize is that health care is never free. The cost is just being taken from people in the form of taxes. So it appears "free", but it really isn't.

Also, the waiting lists are HUGE compared to the US. While it's not as good as it could be, the US still has the best healthcare system in the world .. and the best doctors, for that matter.

i would equate canada's healtcare system to the US's VA system.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: paruhd0x
Originally posted by: ThePresence
LMAO @ the pic of the leopard tank underneath this new one. I know they're antennas, but it really looks like 2 dudes are fishing off the back of it. :)

Text

need to make the rods stand out more really need to look for them to see them.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR
C-17 can carry ONE Abrams, which is why the US military pre-positions its military equipment around the globe rather than taking it with them from the States.

Light tanks do make sense for Canada, but a small contingent of heavy armor is still smart for those really touchy situations (think: Somalia). Talk to a tanker and ask him which he'd rather have: a Leopard or a LAV. ;)
I knew it was either one or two at a time. I'm the layman, you're the officer. :p I still find it kind of incredible that the US has the funds to build and run ships meant specifically for prepositioning, though it makes a whole bunch of strategic sense.

I fully agree - a bunch of Challenger IIs or M1A2s would be really nice to have handy, but... the people in this country would never go for it. :( "Peacekeeping, not warring," is a popular refrain. Mostly translating to, "We'll come in and stand around the place like policemen after someone else does the dirty work." So for us, perhaps an airlift-based ground force with LAVs, plus state-of-the-art artillery, plus perhaps some F-35s to replace our first-generation F/A-18 Hornets... well, I can dream.

KenSr

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2003
You better watch out, since you don't have much of a military, and you have oil, Bush may think you might have WMD's and envade you.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I hate to get off topic of US vs Canada

But:
U.S. tests have proven the Mobile Gun System is able to fit inside a C-130 Hercules aircraft

???TESTS???
How much did our government spend on "tests" to figure that one out???
A 10 year old with a tape measure should have been able to figure that out.

testS More than one test?!
Yep. I'm sorry if this sounds like bashing, it is not intended to be. But, isn't the military smart enough to figure that out pretty quickly?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

I think it's a bigger waste to spend money on the Olympics than a military. A military doesn't only kill people. It provides disaster relief, peacekeeping forces, research, jobs, etc. Plus, it's not like you can't focus on all of those aspects.

Canada has been in numerous conflicts since WW2.