You guys get pissed when Amazon reviews get tainted by Steam haters??

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
Am I the only one that get pissed when perfectly good games get their averages jacked by steam haters. I like looking up prospective games on Amazon even though I usually buy straight through Steam but sometimes there's a good 10% or more of people giving it 1 star just because you have to use Steam. Not only do I like fair reviews but I love using Steam, it lets me make the most of my 128gb ssd by easily installing and uninstalling games. Fuck the haters.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Back in the days people used to hate Steam... but its now very convient because you don't have to save CDs for reinstalling when you build new PCs...

But always take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt and don't feed the trolls...

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Am I the only one that get pissed when perfectly good games get their averages jacked by steam haters. I like looking up prospective games on Amazon even though I usually buy straight through Steam but sometimes there's a good 10% or more of people giving it 1 star just because you have to use Steam. Not only do I like fair reviews but I love using Steam, it lets me make the most of my 128gb ssd by easily installing and uninstalling games. Fuck the haters.

You may be the only one. Most people have a life and if not getting a better discount on a game is going to ruin your day, then consider your day ruined....

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I don't even read user reviews because people will rate products based on politics, gender, agendas, anything that is not the actual product.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think amazon is the last place I would ever read game reviews. Place is filled with trolls.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Wait, you're asking me if I...myself....get pissed if a game that I didn't help create or distribute..gets negative votes on Amazon review?

No....no I don't.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
Well its just annoying as hell. Instead of looking at the review distribution (5 star ratings verus 1 star rating) quickly to determine if a game sucks or not you have to see how many of the crap reviews are actually regarding the game. Often nearly every 1 star review is based on people not liking Steam

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Nope. Some people don't like to be tied down to Steam or Origin.

Have fun trying to play AAA titles without steam. Just about everything is steamworks, so if you're not using steam good luck. Or maybe some people like playing crap indie titles or 2+ year old games...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Whatever... I save on paying taxes when I buy through Steam and Steam actually has real sales every now and then, not $10 off the full price that the local shops do.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Have fun trying to play AAA titles without steam. Just about everything is steamworks, so if you're not using steam good luck. Or maybe some people like playing crap indie titles or 2+ year old games...

You sound offended at the notion of someone not liking Steam.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Amazon reviews are quickly becoming worthless. Doesn't matter if it is Steam or the user has some other axe to grind against a company.

To their credit, they have added the "Amazon Verified Purchase" tag which helps to a certain extent but its gimped because you can't filter out not verified reviews if you so choose.

-KeithP

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The internet has become little more than a machine for spewing hate. Deal with it. There were people rating Mass Effect 3 one star on amazon en masse before even beating the game due to all the negative press. Amazon reviews mean nothing.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't get pissed but yeah it skews things so you can't really judge it properly. But its actually often a good thing. There's been things I would have bought but then read people bitching about some aspect which a lot of people don't seem to feel warrants it, but made a difference to me, and the type of DRM does matter. I find Steam acceptable but don't like GFWL or UPlay (whatever Ubisoft's is), and would prefer not to use Origin either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's not just video games. When I'm looking for an item and I'm comparing competing models, it gets a bit annoying to see negative, one-star ratings that their only comment is on something superfluous and typically not even about the product itself (i.e. something about Amazon).

As for Steam being an influence, in some cases, I've seen people complain because Amazon didn't outright state that it was a Steam game on their product page. However, Amazon has gotten much, much better at listing that clearly, so that's not really that common anymore. I do think it's still to completely tarnish a game's review because you don't like Steam. I can understand that being a negative for you, but there's more to the game!

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Im a massive fan of steam... likely one of the fanboys some people hate. That said OP im sorry but you must be a bit thick if you cannot discern the good reviews from the bad reviews and good/bad are ambiguous terms anyway it all depends on the person, some people don't like steam. If you're reading a review and the guy who wrote it is bitching about steam... well you simply skip that part because that criticism dosent apply to you or skip their review altogether. Simple as that man.

I love the haters. I love the fanboys. Its great how people from each side can express their opinions. Besides... every time i see a review where its clearly a PICNIC error of some sort its usually downrated to hell anyway so why this is even a complaint is beyond me...

Amazon reviews and metacritic user reviews >>>>>>>>> any professional reviews when it comes to games. Just need to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You sound offended at the notion of someone not liking Steam.

Nah, more like i'm baffled by how anyone can be an active PC gamer without steam. The vast majority of triple A titles are steamworks, meaning that without steam you can't play them. 2k games? Steamworks. Square Enix? Steamworks. Bethesda? Steamworks. The list goes on. Basically you're not playing contemporary titles if you're not using steam. So unless you want to be stuck with bad indie titles (not all are bad, of course, but a LOT are) or 2+ year old games, I don't see how anyone can possibly actively game without it.

Besides which, steam is basically the most pain free DRM in existence. And it has awesome sales all the time to boot. I just don't see how anyone can not like steam - I can completely understand GFWL or SecuROM hate (I hate them as well) but Steam? It's whatever. It's just funny that people boycott steam on "principles" despite steam being a pain free and transparent form of DRM......People complain about anything these days.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Nope. I don't let other people piss me off about anything.

"He who angers you, controls you"

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The only games I will not buy are those with serious DRM issues (i.e. only allowed so many installs, etc.). However, I think most developers have abandoned that idea? Steam registration does not bother me. As for reviews, I don't rely on Amazon for game reviews. I like Rock Paper Shotgun, but if I REALLY want to play a game, reviews don't matter to me.

The Wife