You Ever Look at Old Games You Played in the Past and Said:

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
How did I ever play that shlt?

I got a bit Nostalgic today and looked up some of the PC Games I played AND LOVED as a kid, and just can't get over how bad the graphics are. I don't think I can ever go back. It kinda sucks, because I never had a much *FUN* playing games as I did back in the old days as a kid, but, these days, I just can't get over the graphics and even think about playing them again.

Anyways, here are some of the Classics I loved:

Betrayal at Krondor
F-19 Stealth Fighter
Kings Quest V and VI
All the Space Quest Games
Life or Death
Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites (Epic, fvckin Epic)
Wing Commander 1 - 4
Privateer (possibly the best game ever made)
Indiana Jones And the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
X-Wing and Tie Fighter
Lands of Lore
Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld
Wolf 3D

Old DOS Games of the late 80's, early 90's, I salute you!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i think to myself "damn, these games have such shitty graphics, comparatively, yet they are orders of magnitude better. what gives?"

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
i miss the cutscenes from wing commander. machinima is getting annoying

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I played Redneck Rampage a few days ago, just for fun. I used to play it when I was really young at my grandparents' house. The graphics and controls were horrible but it was still fun to play again.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Most of those games are just before the cutoff point where gameplay was severely limited by technology. PC gaming seemed to have hit its stride in the late 90's, and now we're going backwards; technology is improving faster than the gameplay.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The graphics in Ultima 7 aren't that terrible. Ultima Underworld on the other hand is a pixel fest.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
F19, Space Quest, Wing Commander, Gunship, Command HQ, Silent Hunter(IIRC)

All great games that deserve a graphics update and re-release.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
F19, Space Quest, Wing Commander, Gunship, Command HQ, Silent Hunter(IIRC)

All great games that deserve a graphics update and re-release.

As much as I love the sound of straight forward re-releases using latest graphics, they usually make some "balance tweaks" and add new things which makes it all crap a la Dune 2000.

Plus, they get slated by reviewers stating theres no innovation.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
You'll look back on games comming out now in 10 or better years and say, " man those graphics sure did suck!"

@ the time it just didn't matter, because you were having so much fun:D

Doom and Quake...

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
X-Wing and Tie Fighter are among my all time favorites. Some of us were commenting not too long ago, how much we'd like to see this series redone. Just sayin DOS gives me the warm fuzzies :) Those really were the days of pure gaming stoke, and flight sim greatness.

Indeed!
Can you imagine Tie Fighter with HDR, Bloom etc?
:D

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Oakenfold

Indeed!

Maybe so but can you imagine Freespace 2 or Homeworld with those?

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Who remembers Dune II and Command and Conquer: Red Alert

I actually started playing Total Annihilation again, SupCom never lived up to it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Indeed!
I'd pre-order, and I rarely do that. :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I look back at some of the old games and say, "Wow, thats some old looking graphics". But it wasnt just about graphics. The gameplay was quite addictive and fun. DOS was a love/hate relationship for me. It was some cool stuff but also a pain to work with. Remember trying to get enough high memory allocated to play a game? I loved many of those old games but I dont miss DOS. :laugh:

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Skott
I look back at some of the old games and say, "Wow, thats some old looking graphics". But it wasnt just about graphics. The gameplay was quite addictive and fun. DOS was a love/hate relationship for me. It was some cool stuff but also a pain to work with. Remember trying to get enough high memory allocated to play a game? I loved many of those old games but I dont miss DOS. :laugh:

oh man, i HATED allocating EMM and XMM and all that.

I remember having to use boot disks to run certain games that needed a hell of a lot of expanded memory (or extended? I don't remember)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I think to myself:

Sony could have done better in this generation's console war if they'd taken $20 million away from their devil-baby and exploding-paint marketing budget to pay for improved-graphics remakes of some of these classics.

They'd have sold a lot more PS3s if by now you could buy $20-40 game bundles like
- Wing Commander I- IV
- Ultima Underworld I - II
- King's Question collection
- X-Com I - II - Apocalypse
etc.

For bonus points they could've spent another $20 million to offer Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and fixed-up versions of KOTOR I - II.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Master of Magic. A couple months ago I had the urge to play it some more and found it online. It works flawlessly in dosbox, and the game is nearly perfect. The main limitation is the poor AI by today's standards, but even modern strategy games like Civ 4 aren't that much better.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
i think to myself "damn, these games have such shitty graphics, comparatively, yet they are orders of magnitude better. what gives?"

They are orders of magnitude better because in most of them the story was given at least as much attention as the graphics ... a lost art in 90% on todays games which focus on special effects at the expense of a plot that draws you in.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Elcs

Indeed!

Maybe so but can you imagine Freespace 2 or Homeworld with those?

I'd seriously piss myself if they released a Freespace 3 which all the modern graphics but with the story, gameplay etc from Freespace 1 and 2. In fact I just started playing freespace 2 with some hi-res texture packs and what not but it still doesnt support any widescreen res(obviously) so it looks blurry but awesome.

I miss the original Descent 1 & 2 as well. Awesome 3D games for the time.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: DeathBUA

I'd seriously piss myself if they released a Freespace 3 which all the modern graphics but with the story, gameplay etc from Freespace 1 and 2. In fact I just started playing freespace 2 with some hi-res texture packs and what not but it still doesnt support any widescreen res(obviously) so it looks blurry but awesome.

I miss the original Descent 1 & 2 as well. Awesome 3D games for the time.

I'd be first in line for a Freespace 3!

Also, I too miss Descent 1 and 2. Too bad Descent 3 couldn't live up, I missed being the Material Defender.

Edit: BTW, OP, you missed "System Shock".

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I want PONG HD.... maybe a remake of the Journey game for the atari 2600......"Dont stop believin......hold on to that feeeeeeeelin" as you dodge the incoming asteroids, come to think of it, what the hell did that game mean, and what did Journey have to do with a guy continually flying trough the air and dodging asteroids.

Maybe a Pitfall 3rd person rpg

Or an Indiana jones MMO

Perhaps ZAXXON

Edit: Come to think of it, Pitfall would just be another tomb raider sans the big boobs, cant have that now can we:

Aug 9, 2007
There is a threshold at 1994 where games ceased to be mainly in 2D with handdrawn or photographic graphics and started using polygons. I often replay games that have 2D artwork like the Lucasfilm adventures, or SNES Zelda, or the Turrican games but the first ugly 3D stuff is just too ugly looking. Maybe with stuff like Crysis we finally reach a point where 3d has matured so much that you'll still want to replay a classic 5 years from now.
The only exception I made recently was Deus EX which had tremendous level of artwork and it still is ok looking.