*** You Are An American. ACT LIKE IT! ***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2001
I do not have a difficult time at all. I helped get the first non-fully-white president elected by caucusing for him, donating to him, and voting for him in 2008 (not so much this year, I'm afraid, but still)

I have and have had black, asian, and Indian friends. Dated a girl who was Hispanic/black mix (or at least I think that's what she was, she was adopted and unsure of her heritage), and a very very Jewish girl too. I have valued all of these friends and/or girlfriends, and had no issue whatsoever getting along with people from backgrounds and groups very different from my own.

I have no issue whatsoever with homosexuals, and have had friends and crewmates on my submarine who were gay. Actually even before DADT was repealed (which happened while I was serving on said submarine) the entire crew was extremely tolerant of the 3 or 4 gay guys we had.

My entire life I have treasured and embraced diversity, only very recently have I started to consider that diversity and multiculturalism might not be ALL POSITIVE, it may have some negative side effects too, and may be worth INTRODUCING MORE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

So, it is not that I have a problem moving in, communicating with, or assimilating to modern American society and it's diversity... not at all. I merely request that we not turn our backs on history, or demonize whites too hastily. Nobody begrudges any and all other groups/genders from taking pride in their identity. In fact, it's encouraged. I think whites, and white males in particular, have every right and every reason to feel pride too, and have a lot of accomplishments to feel proud of. I don't think this has to be accompanied by any sort of hatred for anyone else... nor should it be. I don't think white males should be shamed into guilt for what they are, or what their ancestors did. I don't think they should be the one group that is not allowed to be proud of who they are.

That's all, friend.

It sounds like there may be hope for your re-introduction to American society. Perhaps you can be a spokesman to the other white males who voted for Romney. Unfortunately, it looks like years of GOP indoctrination have made these men be unassimilated with American culture and society. Remember when conservatives reference 'real america.' That was a code word for "predominantly white male america." Now their bubble has been popped. Their real America is a fake. Hopefully they can accept what America is now.

America is a multicultural society, but it is one without a lot of these white males. So like you suggest, we will probably need to introduce them slowly back to American values and American culture. This will need to be done carefully and with a lot of care. Otherwise, we may very well be facing race riots from these white men.

Some people will say that re-assimilating these white men into American society and culture will have detriments. I don't believe that. I think that there's hope. We can teach them how to interact with other non-white men and women. They can begin adding to our culture and society. It's better to be inclusive. That can include these white men who have segregated themselves, we just need to help them out.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
So, ok, I AM allowed to dislike undocumented immigrants?
Yes you are. You are allowed to not like anyone, or any group you wish. We still have that freedom in this country of ours. Whether you can share those thoughts is in question.

Aug 14, 2001
Yes you are. You are allowed to not like anyone, or any group you wish. We still have that freedom in this country of ours. Whether you can share those thoughts is in question.

Everyone should share their thoughts. Racists should be known and then we can rehabilitate them.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

I accept that what you just stated, in your mind, to be true.

Let me ask you to express just 1/10 of one percent of your mind's truth.

Just 7 of the promises that the 43ed President of the United States broke.

That way, you and I together can actually see how your mind is working.

I'll wait right here...

That excuse doesn't fly. Do you rob a bank because someone else got away with it? This mentality of "well he did it too" doesn't make it right or excuse you from having to answer for your lies. Stop the partisan bullshit and have some integrity for gods sake.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Everyone should share their thoughts. Racists should be known and then we can rehabilitate them.
Oooh, thought control. That has a jackboot kinda ring to it. Can there be camps and stuff? Snatching people from their homes in the middle of the night and neighbors turning in neighbors. I can hear the stomping of the boots right now.

What should be done with those that won't comply?

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
It's American to secede from the union and get your butt kicked. The south lost the civil war and now at long last their losing the culture war as well. The only help Obama needs is for people to keep sending the message the ignorant hillbillies either learn how to get along with others or go to the back of the bus.

Aug 14, 2001
Oooh, thought control. That has a jackboot kinda ring to it. Can there be camps and stuff? Snatching people from their homes in the middle of the night and neighbors turning in neighbors. I can hear the stomping of the boots right now.

What should be done with those that won't comply?

It's not thought control. It's rehabilitation. This is seriously the social issue of our times. We must have these men re-integrated with American society and American culture.