Yikes... Local TV report about the Verizon FIOS (Fiber Optic) upgrade here in Tampa

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
People are complaining because apparenly Verizon keeps digging into water &amp; cable lines, shutting down areas all over the city :D

Lemme try and find a link, its on the tele right now.

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Hell, they can turn off my oxygen supply for FIOS.

I'd hold it in. I'd be worth it too:D

:thumbsup:

I'll sh!t in a hole for a few days if it means 15Mb/2Mb!

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jtusa4
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Hell, they can turn off my oxygen supply for FIOS.

I'd hold it in. I'd be worth it too:D

:thumbsup:

I'll sh!t in a hole for a few days if it means 15Mb/2Mb!

Having FIOS would be like a dream.

EDIT: Too bad it's not coming to NY anytime soon.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'd give up electricity and cable for FIOS... I mean I'd give it up for a few days not entirely.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I'd give up electricity and cable for FIOS... I mean I'd give it up for a few days not entirely.

I don't think the computer will run too well without electricity. I could care less about cable myself though.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I think Verizon was doing some work on Waters Ave. When I interned with the local power company during the summer, I kept hearing the techs talking about how Verizon was hiring lots of people to install the cables. Hopefully, they'll come to the Brandon area soon.

MrSanderzX

Feb 14, 2002
They are actually doing this in Huntington Beach, no more than 5 miles away from where I live now. I am jealous. I want FIOS upload speed. On the positive side I am moving in May and my girlfriend wants to live in Huntington Beach. I am all for it since I will get FIOS.

On a side note, anyone know any of the more technical specs for FIOS? Like what, if any, ports they will be blocking?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
Haha, coming to my neighbourhood by year's end.

I dont have a phone from verizon, so they won't let me look up my phone # to see if im in an eligible area :D

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: MrSanderzX
They are actually doing this in Huntington Beach, no more than 5 miles away from where I live now. I am jealous. I want FIOS upload speed. On the positive side I am moving in May and my girlfriend wants to live in Huntington Beach. I am all for it since I will get FIOS.

On a side note, anyone know any of the more technical specs for FIOS? Like what, if any, ports they will be blocking?

According to everything I've read thus far, they won't be blocking ports.

There's a wealth of information about FIOS (and links to more info about it) over on broadbandreports.com under the Verizon Telco Forum.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Originally posted by: MrSanderzX

According to everything I've read thus far, they won't be blocking ports.

There's a wealth of information about FIOS (and links to more info about it) over on broadbandreports.com under the Verizon Telco Forum.

i hope verizon won't block any ports... so far their DSL has been good for me...

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
http://fios.3v3bizich.com/

I spoke with a FIOS rep earlier. He stated that they dont have a good chart of where and when it will be available in areas. He said that they were told that alot of lines are getting installed and you will see many being turned on within a few months. Currently areas in TX and CA are the main areas where it is active so far. You can check on the link above with the phone number to see if it is available but dont hold your breath. It is extremely limited right now.

SBC is also rolling out fiber but mainly to new developments right now instead of pulling up old lines. 2005 promises to hold some interesting events for telecom. Many companies will be fighting to provide you with TV, Internet, and phones all one package. Verizon has plans to do TV and many cable companies around here are already doing phone plans via VoIP.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
fiber is the easiest way to deliver a triple play package.. ie: tv, phone and data. Expect this stuff to be happening in mostly new areas.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Ummmm these are just indepent contractors there jonnyGURU... they're hired by Verizon to put the fiber in place.

Have you ever worked with an independent contractor? I've worked with many. I can assure you that most could not care less what they take out in their wake.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Ummmm these are just indepent contractors there jonnyGURU... they're hired by Verizon to put the fiber in place.

Have you ever worked with an independent contractor? I've worked with many. I can assure you that most could not care less what they take out in their wake.

I know they're contractors. But the damage they're creating is unprecidented. Every other day in the news here, there a story about a contractor for Verizon busting a water main, sewer pipe or gas line. These guys need to start getting some serious fines. Part of the job, before you start digging, is finding out where the sh!t is underneath the asphalt.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Supposedly they are checking them out, and it's a finger pointing game right now. Verizon says the maps for older areas are either incorrect or incomplete (in Hillsborough County? I don't doubt it). The county says they have to use different techniques to detect pipes. Also, in areas like New Tampa (Urban Sprawl) where they have PVC pipes for plumbing, those seem to have become very fragile "even with careful excavation."

All I know is that I have a box buried in my front yard already and I'm itching to jump aboard.