Yikes!!! Did my videocard just die??

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
So I am playing a little CS a few minutes ago, get a VERY quick bluescreen dump and a reboot. On reboot, no video. So I powerdown, pull the power cord and restart - still nothing. I let it boot all the way, I hear the windows intro tune. I try unplugging the DVI cable, get the unplug and replug (ala USB/DVI) sound but still no video. Reseated the video card still the same.

So is this thing dead? Is a blue screen common in this situation? :confused:

sieistganzfett

Mar 2, 2005
since the PC booted into windows and you heard it, i would say its more likely the monitor the problem. does the monitor do anything like say no signal when unplugged? try connecting it to another computer. if thats fine, and your still on a black screen then ya, i would say part of your video card can be dead, but not dead enough.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I turn the monitor on /off I get a blue screen that says no input- so I assume that it is fine.

sieistganzfett

Mar 2, 2005
you do have the needed power cables re-connected to the 7900gto after you reseated the card right (did you try to reseat those as well)? i believe they are 6pin connectors.. you can try any cards you have around to confirm its the 7900 by testing one in your pc, or you can put the 7900 in another pc, if the cables are all good, then i would say it is a "dead card." bsod->no video seems to support the claim, your just doing the confirmation work by checking all of this.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sieistganzfett
you do have the needed power cables re-connected to the 7900gto after you reseated the card right (did you try to reseat those as well)? i believe they are 6pin connectors.. you can try any cards you have around to confirm its the 7900 by testing one in your pc, or you can put the 7900 in another pc, if the cables are all good, then i would say it is a "dead card." bsod->no video seems to support the claim, your just doing the confirmation work by checking all of this.

I wish I could. Only box I have that isn't AGP, ditto on the card. Sigh, I guess I should start the RMA process.

Dec 21, 2006
I don't see the computer BSOD-ing off of the video card dying. Maybe the beginnig throes of death, but not this sudden death. I would HAve my local hardware store test it in your situation.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Screw local computer shops, that's like asking a mechanic if he can find any problems with your car.

- If it was your motherboard you sure as heck wouldn't be able to boot into windows and hear the intro theme, instead your MB would be screaming at you during or even prior to POST
- It's not likely your power supply since you're booting into windows (albeit without a display) so windows is seeing your video card and it is being fed but you can't rule that out either. TO isolate it you could try feeding the card with a different rail or removing the power from other components to relax the PS a bit to see if that's the issue. A substitute would surely be a pita but definately useful.
- It's probably not your monitor due to the reason you stated but can't be ruled out completely without a substitute
- It likely is your video card and I think you have grounds to initiate an RMA, although you might want to find a substitute to test prior to making that decisions. Does your card have another plug which you can utilize? For instance, if you're using the VGA port on it can you use a DVI to VGA adapter and try that one?

Generally, if you're not interested in troubleshooting my opinion is that you have grounds for an RMA.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
did u try using a vga cable?

search for a fix called "DVI_recover.zip"

Give that a try and report back.

This happened to me when I upgraded to my X1900XTX. Same exact thing (minus the BSOD) and the card was fine.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I had it exactly happened to my 7900GTO once.
The GTO has two dvi connectors, try to plug your dvi cable onto the other dvi connector of the GTO and see what happens.
I did this and it worked for me.
Later on I swapped it back to the dvi that the cable was originally on and it still works.
I'd never know or figure out what happened and why.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Screw local computer shops, that's like asking a mechanic if he can find any problems with your car.

- If it was your motherboard you sure as heck wouldn't be able to boot into windows and hear the intro theme, instead your MB would be screaming at you during or even prior to POST
- It's not likely your power supply since you're booting into windows (albeit without a display) so windows is seeing your video card and it is being fed but you can't rule that out either. TO isolate it you could try feeding the card with a different rail or removing the power from other components to relax the PS a bit to see if that's the issue. A substitute would surely be a pita but definately useful.
- It's probably not your monitor due to the reason you stated but can't be ruled out completely without a substitute
- It likely is your video card and I think you have grounds to initiate an RMA, although you might want to find a substitute to test prior to making that decisions. Does your card have another plug which you can utilize? For instance, if you're using the VGA port on it can you use a DVI to VGA adapter and try that one?

Generally, if you're not interested in troubleshooting my opinion is that you have grounds for an RMA.

Thanks for the reply. I have Silverstone PS w/ two video rails - neither matter. Tried the monitor w/ another PC - works fine. I have tried both DVI ports, same with each. I am going to try RMAing it; Damn it was a PITA removing the card with everything else in the case.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Wondering who your video card maker is.
If it is eVGA then you may give its tech support a call.
eVGA is one of the best companies when it comes to tech supporting.
Second...would you not happen to have a spare v/c laying around in order to completely ruling out the GTO?

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: videopho
Wondering who your video card maker is.
If it is eVGA then you may give its tech support a call.
eVGA is one of the best companies when it comes to tech supporting.
Second...would you not happen to have a spare v/c laying around in order to completely ruling out the GTO?

Yup, it is eVGA. Negative on the spare card, this is my first PCIE rig. I am just going to RMA the thing.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

GJ JJ...

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just an update for people. Turns out after the RMA that the card wasn't at fault, the DVI port on my el cheapo Sceptre 22" died - which after research seems to be a common occurance. Thanks to all those who helped.