Yet another race poll.

A just and competent court should find...

• Zimmerman guilty

• Zimmerman not-guilty

• Spooner guilty

• Spooner not-guilty

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I couldn't figure out how to have two separate polls in one thread, please make logically consistent selections. You're all familiar w/ the Zimmerman case, here's the Spooner case.
MILWAUKEE -- A 75-year-old Milwaukee man was ordered to stand trial and pleaded not guilty Monday in the fatal shooting of his 13-year-old neighbor.

John Henry Spooner, who is charged with first-degree intentional homicide in the May 31 killing of Darius Simmons, waived his right for a preliminary hearing.

The white-haired Spooner, wearing black-rimmed glasses and an orange jail jumpsuit, said little during Monday's 2-minute hearing.

Authorities say that on the day Darius was shot, Spooner confronted the teen outside their homes and accused him of taking part in a recent break-in at his house. Spooner said several of his possessions – including shotguns – had been stolen and he demanded that Darius return them. Darius, whose family had only moved in next door a month earlier, said he didn't have Spooner's property. At this point, authorities say, Spooner shot the teenager in the chest, in full view of Darius' mother, Patricia Larry.

Witnesses said Spooner then paced up and down the sidewalk until the police arrived. A criminal complaint says Spooner admitted to the arresting office that he had shot the teen.

Spooner's attorney, Frank Gimbel, said his client had not been not in a position to confess to any charges.

"When a lay person says they are guilty of a crime they really are not speaking with an understanding of what the particulars of the crimes that are charged are and, in this case, first-degree intentional homicide requires some very specific ingredients to be a conviction," he said. "They are not in this case, as far as I'm concerned."

The judge set a scheduling conference for June 20.

Before the proceedings began, Spooner could be heard chatting with Gimbel about his health in full view of the gallery where Larry and other members of Simmons' family sat.

Tavis Grant, national field director for Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition, told reporters that the family was planning to pursue federal hate crimes charges against Spooner. Darius was black and Spooner is white.

The Department of Justice and the District Attorney's office did not immediately respond to calls and emails Monday seeking comment on the possibility of federal charges in the case.

"His color, his race, his ethnicity is enough," Grant said, adding that Spooner's behavior in court was inappropriate.

"You would think that someone (who is) 75 years old, who has lost a wife, has gone through cancer, would show some remorse, show some regret, show some disappointment, show some sign for the loss of this mother," he said.

The day Darius was shot and killed, police grilled his mother for two hours and left the family's house in disarray after scouring it in vain for the shotguns. They also arrested one of Darius' brothers for a year-old truancy violation. Mayor Tom Barrett has promised an investigation into how police treated Larry.

Simmons was buried on Saturday after a funeral attended by many public officials, including Barrett.
Source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...mons-not-guilty-plea-wisconsin_n_1586748.html

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Seems like a simple case of murder if the above is accurate, though I am sure it isn't entirely.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Seems like a simple case of murder if the above is accurate, though I am sure it isn't entirely.

Agreed. Since the last Skittles bullish!t story, I need to make sure those are all the facts. If that's all of it, it's a clear case of murder and he should be sent to the electric chair immediately (if that is an option).

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Zimmerman was obviously not guilty, only the race baiters are still trying to fan the flames of that case to suit their political agenda.

I'm not familiar enough with the Spooner case to have an educated opinion, but if what the article states is true, then he's guilty and should spend the rest of his days in prison. Of course if there's anything we've learned from the Zimmerman case is not to trust anything the media says about a case.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not sure what this thread has to do with the Zimmerman case? Was Simmons on top of Spooner, punching him and beating his head against the pavement?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
This is what's wrong with the poll question:

"A just and competent court should find..."

The real answer is:
"A just and competent court should never listen to an internet commentator."

"A just and competent court should rule whether the situation and the evidence proves he is guilty or not guilty."

Personally, from the sound of it, the guy accepts guilt, it's more a matter of which specific crime they charge him for.

Also tack on an additional poll question:
If this trial is not decided the way I think it should be decided, will I...
(A) keep an open mind to learning the opinions of the jurors and the evidence presented to them, or
(B) take to the streets in riots until every last juror fears for his/her life

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm not sure what this thread has to do with the Zimmerman case? Was Simmons on top of Spooner, punching him and beating his head against the pavement?

It doesn't really. Except some of the articles quote Spooner's lawyer cautioning people to not link Spooner's case to the Zimmerman case, which is kind of ironic since Zimmerman is either innocent or at least his guilt is highly doubtful. If anything, Zimmerman would not have wanted the two cases linked as Spooner's would have tainted his by association.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It doesn't really. Except some of the articles quote Spooner's lawyer cautioning people to not link Spooner's case to the Zimmerman case, which is kind of ironic since Zimmerman is either innocent or at least his guilt is highly doubtful. If anything, Zimmerman would not have wanted the two cases linked as Spooner's would have tainted his by association.

I'm pretty sure Spooner's lawyer does not want any attention beyond the bare necessity brought on himself for this case.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Its only fair to shoot his old ass in the chest,too. The kid was taking out the trash....jesus.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
judging by the video spooner is guilty no question, but if we've learned anything from the Zimmerman case it is that the media will happily manipulate audio evidence so why should video evidence be taken as gospel?

but honestly, why is that that whenever a white guy shoots a black guy it's racism but the other way around nobody says a peep.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Holy crap! At least there's one trial in whose result we can take faith.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That video is pretty sickening. Too bad the old guy is 75 years old, since he deserves either the death penalty or a very long life behind bars. (he'll be dead soon anyway)

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Zimmerman innocent. Spooner murder. Easy if the video is accurate.

That said why are they watching the video on a 486? That was sooooo irritating to watch.

Last edited:

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Zimmerman innocent. Spooner murder. Easy if the video is accurate.

That said why are they watching the video on a 486? That was sooooo irritating to watch.

They might have paused it to comment, notice that it is a video of a video with no audio. I think Zimmerman is definitely guilty of something.

Citing the Zimmerman case as a legal precedent, I can now appoint myself a neighborhood watchman, stalk women in the night, and shoot them when they lash out at me for stalking them. Fun stuff. It might only work if they are black however.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Holy crap!

Just change the name of this from P&N to Racist Arquments forum.

I'M just about done here.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
They might have paused it to comment, notice that it is a video of a video with no audio. I think Zimmerman is definitely guilty of something.

Citing the Zimmerman case as a legal precedent, I can now appoint myself a neighborhood watchman, stalk women in the night, and shoot them when they lash out at me for stalking them. Fun stuff. It might only work if they are black however.

Except you have this post on the internet now that suggests premeditation.