Yet another GTA IV question

Affat

Jul 12, 2008
Hey,
I know this question is asked a lot but I really need to know how you guys think GTA IV will run on the following PC....

2 gb ddr2 ram
e8400 (running at stock)
8600gt (256mb) :(

much thanx in advance

udneekgnim

Jun 27, 2008
running E8500 @4.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 4870 512, WIN XP

playing at 16*10, med textures, highest rendering, detail settings 20-40

I'd estimate a FPS average of 30. game probably runs between 20 FPS to 40 FPS while driving through the city. when out of the car, game seems to run above 30 FPS. when in doors, no FPS issues.

please note I'm running the game with Vsync on since I think it helps smooth out the game by making FPS variance less noticeable.

I should add that if you do pick up GTA 4, then I'm pretty sure you are going to have to play at a low resolution and textures due to the 256 vid RAM. that's assuming you get playable framerates at the lowered settings.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Everything on low other wise it will run fine. I'm guessing your 8600gts has 256mb of vram. This game requires 512mb of vram for medium settings.

Affat

Jul 12, 2008
Thanx guys,
well at the moment I went to visit my family in another city and i could only take my graphics card. So i had to play gta iv on a 3.0Ghz single core intel with 1gb ram and it runs very slow unless I stand still then stuff around me moves fine.

So does a better processor and more ram make a big difference in this game ?

Affat

Jul 12, 2008
Thanx guys,
well at the moment I went to visit my family in another city and i could only take my graphics card. So i had to play gta iv on a 3.0Ghz single core intel with 1gb ram and it runs very slow unless I stand still then stuff around me moves fine.

Affat

Jul 12, 2008
Thanx but I've got a 22" inch LCD at home and I'm scared that if I run the game at 800x600 it will look nasty ! But hopefully I can run it on a higher resolution !

TestedAcorn

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2007
Originally posted by: Affat
Thanx guys,

Better cpu and ram make a difference in all modern games.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
If you aren't using vista you should be fine with 2 gigs of ram. Overclock your E8400. GTA4 is very cpu intensive. The most CPU intensive PC game today actually.

Affat

Jul 12, 2008
Well I've never actualy tried overclocking in my life.... Only once but that was on a single core.
By any chance is there some kind of tutorial that I could follow to try and start overclocking ?