Yet another example of King Obama thumbing his nose at the Constitution

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/06/is_obamas_libyan_attack_legal_or_not.html

Lately, some House members have spoken of cutting off Obama's funding for Libya. That's interesting; the Prez has been using generic Pentagon funds, diverting the money to his Libyan activities since there has been no official Libyan program to fund things done there. (A bit like Congress has done for years with Social Security receipts.) If Congress cuts off money spent on Libya, it will in fact be cutting the amount it has approved for the military.

Libya hasn't attacked the U.S. that I've heard, so that's no help there. What Truman got away with in Korea and Johnson in Vietnam are history, not law; they don't help either. The bottom line appears to be that Obama has used his authority as Commander in Chief to intervene in another country's civil war by using the U.S. military to attack that country's property and people. Where I come from, that's making war. He can call it "kinetic military action" or he can call it making love if he wants to, but that doesn't resurrect any dead Libyans.

The most important part of this is what is says about our leading politicians. Congressfolk no less than presidents are sworn to uphold the Constitution. Republicans and Democrats in charge are so far, posturing; giving the Constitution lip service just as much as their President is doing. The inescapable conclusion: the Constitution doesn't matter to them. If they are returned to Congress in the next election, it will be equally inescapable that the Constitution doesn't matter to the voters anymore, either. What then?

If a President can wage war simply by his own will is this not king like powers? Once these wars are waged Congress can simply cut off funding and bring back the balance of power right? No King Obama just diverts funds to carry out war. Is this not a king like action?

The underlying question we must ask ourselves is who have we become? Have we become so comfortable in our lives we allow such atrocities to exist? Have we no respect for the Constitution from which the greatest nation on earth was established? We no longer hold our representative government accountable to their sworn oath to uphold the Constitution. We are and will pay the price for our apathy.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't worry about it, he's a Democrat so you know that when he bombs another country it's because he cares.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Damn...PCS is really taking this year's defeat of DOCTOR WHO? rather personally.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Damn...PCS is really taking this year's defeat of DOCTOR WHO? rather personally.

I'm sure the Repugs will be the first to hold a ticker tape parade for Obama when he unilaterally withdraws from both Libya and Afghanistan.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This IS because he cares. Have you guys seen Libya? They need our help.

I know Obama won't say this during his campaign, but I think somebody needs to say it. Elect Obama, repeal the 22nd Amendment, we can't afford to let hope die in just 4 years.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Man, you really really need to go read up on the Iran-Contra affair if you think this is an affront to the Constitution.

The president literally negotiated with Islamic terrorists, gave in to their demands to sell weapons to radical Iran, the used the money from those sales to supply different terrorists who literally went around raping nuns. All despite explicit laws passed by Congress forbidding these actions. Then lied to Congress about it.

And yet somehow Reagan is the patron saint of the Republican party.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Man, you really really need to go read up on the Iran-Contra affair if you think this is an affront to the Constitution.

The president literally negotiated with Islamic terrorists, gave in to their demands to sell weapons to radical Iran, the used the money from those sales to supply different terrorists who literally went around raping nuns. All despite explicit laws passed by Congress forbidding these actions.

It not nice to say bad things about Saint Raygun

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

The president literally negotiated with Islamic terrorists, gave in to their demands to sell weapons to radical Iran, the used the money from those sales to supply different terrorists who literally went around raping nuns. All despite explicit laws passed by Congress forbidding these actions.

It not nice to say bad things about Saint Raygun

Those actions are no less egregious. We must stop saying "well the other guy was worse" and just ignore what is happening now. This mindset is dangerous. It allows each successive president to subvert, distort or even ignore constitutional law. Where does it end? When your side doesn't have the executive office? When?

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I'm confused...why are people upset? every president in the last 100 years has done this...

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So Obama is acting like Reagan and you're proud of that?

Not at all. I'm frankly disgusted by the whole imperial presidency thing. But, you have to blame congress for alot of the behavior by the executive.

They won't declare any wars, they've essentially, especially this congress, have done nothing, not even passed legislation they agree on.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Yet another example of King Obama thumbing his nose at the Constitution

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/06/is_obamas_libyan_attack_legal_or_not.html

If a President can wage war simply by his own will is this not king like powers? Once these wars are waged Congress can simply cut off funding and bring back the balance of power right? No King Obama just diverts funds to carry out war. Is this not a king like action?

The underlying question we must ask ourselves is who have we become? Have we become so comfortable in our lives we allow such atrocities to exist? Have we no respect for the Constitution from which the greatest nation on earth was established? We no longer hold our representative government accountable to their sworn oath to uphold the Constitution. We are and will pay the price for our apathy.

Awesome

The Messiah is thumbing his nose directly at you, don't cha love it :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2012
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
Awesome

The Messiah is thumbing his nose directly at you, don't cha love it :thumbsup:

Because he pisses you Republicans off. :D

I am not a republican, so its ok for him to disobey the Constitution but if a republican does it then all the democrats get mad

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Because he pisses you Republicans off. :D

For fuck's sake... shut up already. Republicans and the rich piss you off, Dave... and Obama pisses off conservatives and Republicans. **YAWN**... both of you are really fucking stupid for it, too.

Get a grip, all of you.. neither Republicans and the rich nor Obama and the Democrats are as bad as they're made out to be by their critics.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not at all. I'm frankly disgusted by the whole imperial presidency thing. But, you have to blame congress for alot of the behavior by the executive.

They won't declare any wars, they've essentially, especially this congress, have done nothing, not even passed legislation they agree on.

Glad to hear your disgusted. Disagree on your second point though, I'm happy to see congress do nothing. I wish the executive would do the same.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What is wrong with Libya?

More importantly what was wrong with Libya BEFORE Obama decided to remove the legitimate ruler from power.

I don't know. I saw a bunch of people cheering on MSNBC when Momo was killed, so I knew we did good over there.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Glad to hear your disgusted. Disagree on your second point though, I'm happy to see congress do nothing. I wish the executive would do the same.

Uhh, yeah, it's totally awesome to let our national problems fester rather than achieve even incremental steps towards making them better.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Uhh, yeah, it's totally awesome to let our national problems fester rather than achieve even incremental steps towards making them better.

Many of our problems are created by congress. You honestly expect them to fix those problems?