Yet another Anti Virus/ Internet security topic!

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Well I am looking for some good and light internet security for Windows 10. Someone suggested me Bitdefender (it's the general suggestion anyway), so I used that for couple of months with Windows 7, the Internet security, and I am not sure but I think the bootup time was pretty much affected, at least 10-15 seconds. It wasn't the case with Norton, which was great, except for the false positives, ultimately had to add quite a lot of partitions under exclusion list, so the point of installing any kind of security at first place seemed to be irrelevant. And Avast is out of question.

So what shall I install on my Win 10 x64? Which will not affect the system performance in any way and be decent enough for malwares and threats and all that. Free or Paid, whatever.

Thanks in advance.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
BitDefender is one of the better AV when you disable what they call Active Virus Control which is heuristics. It has been known to slow down the system or prevent legitimate software from running (especially with DRM). I would check out Eset Smart Security though.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I've been using Emsisoft Anti Malware (paid) for a while and I really like it. It does have a behavior blocker which occasionally gives a pop-up which I mostly see when certain programs change after an update. It uses its own engine/definitions as well as Bit Defender's.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I use ESET for everything. All work PCs, all of my work servers, exchange server, all of my personal PCs and even my android devices. in 5 years at work only one of over 100 of my users actually got nailed with a virus/trojan/malware and ESET kept warning her but the bitch kept clicking the .zip file and got toasted. Anyway, its relatively cheap and work rather great.

andrev588

Aug 6, 2015
AVG internet security 2015 is worth trying. Get free trial for 30 days. I personally feels that AVG internet security is best.

Download-AVG-Internet-Security-2015.jpg

http://softlay.net/security/antivirus/avg-internet-security-2015.html

Last edited:

WebDesigners

Aug 7, 2015
www.popwebdesign.de
BitDefender is one of the better AV when you disable what they call Active Virus Control which is heuristics. It has been known to slow down the system or prevent legitimate software from running (especially with DRM). I would check out Eset Smart Security though.

Why don't you simply use NOD32, because it is known as anti-virus with the smallest impact on system resources. NOD can be used in 32-bit and 64-bit systems, it is supported by all major OSs (Windows, Linux, MacOSx).

Last edited:

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
It wasn't the case with Norton, which was great, except for the false positives, ultimately had to add quite a lot of partitions under exclusion list, so the point of installing any kind of security at first place seemed to be irrelevant.

When I install an antivirus program I do a full scan and then I add everything but the C : drive and downloads to the exception list (you may want to leave the USB and CD/DVD/BR on if you transfer a lot of unknown files from them). The reason is that I do not want a scan for everything that has already being scanned, and most (all?) of the files to be added in the disks come from downloads which is monitored. Maybe not so safe though.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
When I install an antivirus program I do a full scan and then I add everything but the C : drive and downloads to the exception list (you may want to leave the USB and CD/DVD/BR on if you transfer a lot of unknown files from them). The reason is that I do not want a scan for everything that has already being scanned, and most (all?) of the files to be added in the disks come from downloads which is monitored. Maybe not so safe though.
With NOD32 once you do a first full scan, it whitelists the files so it won't scan the same file twice unless the hashes have been changed.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Why don't you simply use NOD32, because it is known as anti-virus with the smallest impact on system resources. NOD can be used in 32-bit and 64-bit systems, it is supported by all major OSs (Windows, Linux, MacOSx).

Yep. I love ESET. low impact on all of my jobs systems and servers.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Yep. I love ESET. low impact on all of my jobs systems and servers.
Using NOD32 v9.0.141.0 BETA for 3 days now it's much ligher than NOD32 v6,7, and 8 and has 0 bugs. I was told on their forums that v9 Final is soon to be released. This is the only AV which gives me 0 FPs and doesn't clash with any of my installed software.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I tried Bitdefender about a month ago just to see if it was better than Norton Internet security, and I didn't like it. The performance hit was noticeable, even on my high end rig..

Went back to Norton and I think I'll stay there. Never had a problem with NIS, and the performance impact is very light.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I tried Bitdefender about a month ago just to see if it was better than Norton Internet security, and I didn't like it. The performance hit was noticeable, even on my high end rig..

Went back to Norton and I think I'll stay there. Never had a problem with NIS, and the performance impact is very light.
I'd love to use Bitdefender AV but I will never touch it as long as it has all the crapware it currently has, system optimizer, etc.....

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I'd love to use Bitdefender AV but I will never touch it as long as it has all the crapware it currently has, system optimizer, etc.....

Trust me it's not worth it. Bitdefender will protect your system from viruses, malware and everything sure, but it does so by using hyper aggressive means which take up a lot of CPU.

After installing Bitdefender, I noticed that webpages loaded slower, and even Windows explorer itself was less snappy. Apps and programs also loaded slower as well.

When I first did a system scan with it, the damn thing had my CPU at nearly 100%.....and I have an overclocked 4930K with six cores. It scanned my whole C: drive unbelievably fast (seemed like less than 5 minutes), but if it's hogging my entire CPU, then it should be fast :D

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I use Bitdefender Fee and have had ZERO problems. Unless you game and edit crap in games, use hacks, etc you will have trouble because of Bitdefender's debugging crap interference.

If Bitdefender FREE isn't your cup a tea try Immunet.