Yesterday I started Saturday's dinner. Now with pic

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Took some dry yellow dent corn in a pot of water which had calcium hydroxide added. Simmered for 45 minutes and let it sit overnight.

Rinsed and cleaned the corn and then ground in batches to fresh masa. Cooked some pork and pulled that.

Tomorrow it's tamales! Some cheese and poblaino ones too.

Reactions: Kaido
Nov 8, 2012
Tamales are the shittiest food known to man. It's effectively made from lard and vegetable oil - so it's basically one of the worst things you can eat from a health perspective. Not just that - it's fucking gross. There is nothing there as far as good flavor. At least with shit like bacon I can say it was worth it from how delicious it is.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Took some dry yellow dent corn in a pot of water which had calcium hydroxide added. Simmered for 45 minutes and let it sit overnight.

Rinsed and cleaned the corn and then ground in batches to fresh masa. Cooked some pork and pulled that.

What time should I be there?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Tomales are the shittiest food known to man. It's effectively made from lard and vegetable oil - so it's basically one of the worst things you can eat from a health perspective. Not just that - it's fucking gross. There is nothing there as far as good flavor. At least with shit like bacon I can say it was worth it from how delicious it is.

I never tried to eat a town guess that would be gross. )

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Tamales are the shittiest food known to man. It's effectively made from lard and vegetable oil - so it's basically one of the worst things you can eat from a health perspective. Not just that - it's fucking gross. There is nothing there as far as good flavor. At least with shit like bacon I can say it was worth it from how delicious it is.
Green corn tamales are pretty tasty. People who use vegetable oil in tamales should be deported to back to Effingrossiistan.

We make our own green corn tamales but haven't tried making our own masa, let us know that works out.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Green corn tamales are pretty tasty. People who use vegetable oil in tamales should be deported to back to Effingrossiistan.

We make our own green corn tamales but haven't tried making our own masa, let us know that works out.

The masa makes all the difference and it's the only way I'll make them. Corn oil? Lard! That also makes the best pie crusts too. Lard also isn't unhealthy when consumed in moderation, like butter, but a lot of people haven't learned that.

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
To each their own, but genuine homemade tamales are the bomb yo!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

On the corn tangent & revisiting an old project, I'm working on doing nixtamalized corn tortillas in the Instant Pot, based off this procedure:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/how-to-make-fresh-nixtamalized-corn-tortillas-from-scratch.html

https://seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/nixtamalized-corn-tortilla-masa-recipe.html

Hoping to have a good working procedure by the end of the month. I have a 25-pound sack of field corn & some pickling lime ready to go. It's kind of a similar procedure to making yogurt in the IP...cook & then let sit overnight. I was recently reminded of how good a fresh corn tortilla could be; just trying to figure out how to streamline the process for easy production & storage now. The history of masa harina is an interesting one:

https://tastecooking.com/the-tortilla-cartel/

The TL;DR is that packaged corn tortillas are pretty mediocre, but freshly-made corn tortillas are loads better. Freshly-made from powder is somewhat better, but real corn tortillas are waaaaay better. I need to try blue corn at some point too:

https://www.ediblebrooklyn.com/2014/best-corn-tortillas-ever-tasted-5-steps/

Also, a link to one of my all-time best recipes, pork carnitas:

https://afamilyfeast.com/carnitas/

These use both bacon fat & lard (sooooo good) & have a somewhat special process for making them: bake for 5 hours at 275F & cover with parchment, then foil. I haven't found any way to replicate this particular recipe (not with pressure-cooking or sous-vide, at least), although I will probably try doing it on my pellet grill because I can hit & hold 275F pretty easily, and I bet the smokey flavor would be pretty awesome with the pork!

Reactions: Herr Kutz

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
On the corn tangent & revisiting an old project, I'm working on doing nixtamalized corn tortillas in the Instant Pot, based off this procedure

I'd be interested in how this works. I only simmer the corn for 30-45 minutes and let the corn rehydrate and the cal do its work overnight while I'm sleeping. I really don't want to cook the corn, at least no more than needed since I might be grinding cooked mush into corn pudding, but I don't know.

It would be interesting to try a side by side test if you are so inclined might be informative.

Edit-duh. You probably mean using the pot instead of steaming.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
SAoUAFL.jpg

Pot on the left is cheese and roasted poblanos and on the right a spiced pork mixture.