Yes, it is 2009.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
So I just talked to a guy who graduated from the same university as me and has just started medical school.

He recently moved into his new apartment and is talking about some networking problems. His router has been dropping connections, crashing, etc. Somewhere along the line he says "Is it happening because I didn't make the router private?"

Face, meet palm. (He is aware of security yet was too lazy to read a link I sent to him to set it up).

No security on a wireless router. In 2009. I am walking him through the process of at least setting up WPA-PSK on the router now...

Edit: OP updated. WPA2-PSK set up after convincing him of the error of his ways ;). Facepalm status now removed. Malicious script kiddies and freeloaders have been foiled (for now).

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
The fact that he knows he had the option to (and should have) secure the network is what makes this facepalm worthy.

People who don't know that can be forgiven for ignorance.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I really don't think this is facepalm material. Most wireless routers aren't locked down very well and if they are, it's by someone who thinks they're being clever by using their phone number as their 10 digit WEP key.

Besides, having it not locked down probably isn't going to make it crash.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Well he is in medical school so do you think he could beat you on some medical questions? ;)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Newbian
Well he is in medical school so do you think he could beat you on some medical questions? ;)

No.

Edit: He's a newbie started/starting this month.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: joesmoke
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Originally posted by: joesmoke
maybe he just gets laid a lot

He wishes. He's living with his mother.

that dog... is she hawt?

:p

No. Unless you are into middle-aged women who nag all the time.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

No.

Well I guess you know everything.

How about telling us the time Megan Fox leaves her house so we can toss her in our van for a "party".

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
I really don't think this is facepalm material. Most wireless routers aren't locked down very well and if they are, it's by someone who thinks they're being clever by using their phone number as their 10 digit WEP key.

In the past three places I have lived 7/10 were WPA2 secured, 1/10 WPA secured, 1/10 WEP, and 1/10 unencrypted.

In my current apartment complex, all are WPA2.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that is sad. Nobody unaware of the security risk imposed by using wifi should never, never have access to installing any piece of wifi equipment. Tell him to just bite the bullet and run jacks throughout his house and stick to wired. (preferably have someone who knows what they're doing perform said installation)

It makes me /facepalm when I see so many unsecured wireless network. Never mind the fact that it's 2009, but the fact that we're in the 21st century alone, you'd think people would be aware of these things. It's like not locking your door at night. It's simple common sense.

And for a medical student that is even more scary. He could potentially make a life/death decision in his career.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

No.

How about telling us the time Megan Fox leaves her house so we can toss her in our van for a "party".

Shh, you foiled our secret plans! :|

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

No.

Shh, you foiled our secret plans! :|

God damn it...

Sorry all. :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
OP updated. World has been saved from script-kiddies and freeloaders.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004

In the past three places I have lived 7/10 were WPA2 secured, 1/10 WPA secured, 1/10 WEP, and 1/10 unencrypted.

I've been seeing that too.

The routers these days come with installer CDs that basically walk you through setting up security.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Any security is better than no security. It stops the average person. If someone wants to tap into your connection then they are going to find a way.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
I should find those screenshots of a wardrive down one mile of highway. From the approximate middle of a four-lane road for that stretch I picked up 30 different wireless networks with 3+ bars. More than half lacked any form of wireless security.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Everyone around here is pretty good about wireless encryption...10% are open, MAYBE.

Granted, I could probably pop into their little WEP routers like eating a muffin....soft shell, and gooey inside.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't really mind when people choose not to lock their routers. Gives me free access to internet for a few days when I move in to a new place. :p