Yemen grants house arrest to Cole attack planner.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
You are a God Damned fucking coward who needs to kill life everywhere so your worthless ass can feel safe in bed at night.

And you, sir, are a fucking disgrace. You seek to demean and attack anyone who doesn't share your twisted, warped view of the world. And your inane ramblings often leave me wondering if you aren't the inhabitant of a mental facility.

Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
You're a wimp, a pathetic little loser, a sorry arsed excuse of a man, that is all you are.

It takes little to post such nonsense on a message board. Perhaps you'd like to meet in person one day, I'd be happy to introduce you to my world.

Hehe, you don't have to scratch very deep into some festering wounds to see the puss come oozing to the surface.

And how can I demean you. You do that better than I ever could every time you open your ignorant mouth and reveal yourself as a fool's fool. And of course my world view confuses you. Your understanding is microscopic and you can't see past your nose, you get lost a block from home, because you have never thought hard about anything or mentally been anywhere. You put the local in yokel. You're like a savage that wandered into a huge city. You see a mental institution because new ideas, concepts, and knowledge turn you inside out and send you screaming. You are small because you're terrified of the large. You're like an ant that thinks he's a the statue of Lenin. You sir, are a pompous dick head.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse74
The treatment they receive in Gitmo is actually better than US criminals receive in most US prisons.

I don't doubt it. Last I saw, 7 prayer sessions a day, 5 squares, and plenty of "Free" time. Not to mention constant visits from media and Red Cross to make sure they are getting shaved.

Gitmo is fvcking Club Med compared to Attica, Rikers Island, or Leavenworth.

Indeed.

And even though you are technically correct, as they do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Geneva Conventions, for the most part, we STILL treat them as though they do.

Which shows the compassion of a free nation. We're not obligated to provide anything to those enemy combatants.

Don't believe everything you read about what supposedly goes on down there. That place is a cake walk for the scumbags we stick in there!

I don't; The media is overwhelmingly biased against Republicans, GWB, Iraq, and certainly Gitmo. It really isn't surprising that the average Joe has been brainwashed to believe that Gitmo is some illegal facility where U.S. Citizens are being ordered detained by GWB and tortured for his amusement.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
And how can I demean you. You do that better than I ever could every time you open your ignorant mouth and reveal yourself as a fool's fool. And of course my world view confuses you. Your understanding is microscopic and you can't see past your nose, you get lost a block from home, because you have never thought hard about anything or mentally been anywhere. You put the local in yokel. You're like a savage that wandered into a huge city. You see a mental institution because new ideas, concepts, and knowledge turn you inside out and send you screaming. You are small because you're terrified of the large. You're like an ant that thinks he's a the statue of Lenin. You sir, are a pompous dick head.

And you, sir, are a delusional idiot. I'll accept your compliments if you accept mine. Good day :laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

And you, sir, are a delusional idiot. I'll accept your compliments if you accept mine. Good day :laugh:

Sure, sure, any time. I gotta love a guy that calls me a delusional idiot and then calls what I said a complement.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Gitmo is illegal, the Iraq war is illegal, the US is acting like a bitch on PMS.

:roll:

What's the name of that bubble you live in?

Currently in Kabul, will be transporting some people to Bagram in the morning.

We all know that according to international law (which the US does cite ever so often in their favor but ignore when taking action) Gitmo and all other forms of detainment where the prisoners are not treated according to the Geneva conventions is illegal

This has been beat to death here. They are not prisoners of war. They are not in the uniform of any fighting force. Hence, not subject to Geneva Conventions.

I don't give a fuck about the politics regarding this bullshit, common sense tells me that an enemy combatant is a member of an enemy force and as such should be treated as such.

This doublespeak political bullshit has brought shame and disgust upon the brave men who are out fighting the war, i hate it and i hate people like you who support it.

I'm not unaware of the rules of engagement and we do abide by them, but this shit? Why don't we just nuke the entire fucking place and get it over with, it's not like we're ever going to get to a point where all of these countries will ever work with us.

I know what i see, i'm no great thinker or great politician, i know what i know and that is it, and what i do know is that this shit is not right.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Enemy combatant is not a prisoner of war. They are members of an enemy force, sure, but not any sovereign nation, hence they are not entitled to the protections of the Geneva Convention. So off to Club Gitmo they go. And IMO they can rot there till they die.

An enemy combatant captured is a POW, PERIOD.

You can play the politician game all you want, if you don't get that it is just wrong then there is something very wrong with you, you once told me that you have been a soldier, have you forgotten about honor?

What would be the honorable thing to do?

I have faith in me and those like me, there are a lot of people on this board who know exactly what i mean, there is honor, if you don't have it, you have never been a soldier.

You are a disgrace.

Shove your disgrace back up your arse mate.

Like I said, according to the law, you know the Geneva Conventions that you all like to throw up when it comes to torture and shit, they are not. Honor has nothing to do with it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
You are a God Damned fucking coward who needs to kill life everywhere so your worthless ass can feel safe in bed at night.

And you, sir, are a fucking disgrace. You seek to demean and attack anyone who doesn't share your twisted, warped view of the world. And your inane ramblings often leave me wondering if you aren't the inhabitant of a mental facility.

You're a wimp, a pathetic little loser, a sorry arsed excuse of a man, that is all you are.

It takes little to post such nonsense on a message board. Perhaps you'd like to meet in person one day, I'd be happy to introduce you to my world.

Inane ramblings??

Post nonsense??

Truth hurts??

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster
sickening... but I'm not surprised.

kind of like how it is sickening that the mastermind behind the disaster in Iraq is living free and enjoying life in his white house in D.C

Nice try asswipe. I award you zero points and may many bombs fall on Iran.

Back on topic, I would think this would make it a bit easier to swoop in and extract him; then we can put his ass in Gitmo, for an "undetermined" length of time.

I don't see how this thread has anything to do with Iran.

Since you want to attack my ethnicity why don't you try it in my face little redneck hillbilly boy? That's OK... I'll let them shame of knowing an "Iranian" has accomplished far more in this country than a man who thinks his ethnicity is far superior than mine.

Go sit in the corner and weep.
Aimster, let's get back on topic...

Do you believe that house arrest is sufficient punishment for someone who is responsible for the deaths of 17 innocent sailors, and the wounding of 39 others?

Someone responsible for the deaths of 17 innocent sailors?
Sailors are fighting men, are they not? And they were aboard a WARSHIP?

"The poor country on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula is viewed in the West as a haven for Islamist militants. It has witnessed several deadly attacks against Western targets and tourists including the bombing of a French oil tanker in 2002. "

So they were aboard a US warship in a haven for Islamic militants and they were innocent.
I don't think so. They were legitimate targets for the terrorists there. A major factor in their deaths was the failure to take proper defensive steps -such as live ammunition.
I am not defending the terrorists here, and I don't want American servicemen to be killed, but having a US warship in a port in a Muslim country filled with militants is a provocation.
The US utterly failed to protect their people.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: marincounty
sickening... but I'm not surprised.

kind of like how it is sickening that the mastermind behind the disaster in Iraq is living free and enjoying life in his white house in D.C

Nice try asswipe. I award you zero points and may many bombs fall on Iran.

Back on topic, I would think this would make it a bit easier to swoop in and extract him; then we can put his ass in Gitmo, for an "undetermined" length of time.

I don't see how this thread has anything to do with Iran.

Since you want to attack my ethnicity why don't you try it in my face little redneck hillbilly boy? That's OK... I'll let them shame of knowing an "Iranian" has accomplished far more in this country than a man who thinks his ethnicity is far superior than mine.

Go sit in the corner and weep.
Aimster, let's get back on topic...

Do you believe that house arrest is sufficient punishment for someone who is responsible for the deaths of 17 innocent sailors, and the wounding of 39 others?

Someone responsible for the deaths of 17 innocent sailors?
Sailors are fighting men, are they not? And they were aboard a WARSHIP?

"The poor country on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula is viewed in the West as a haven for Islamist militants. It has witnessed several deadly attacks against Western targets and tourists including the bombing of a French oil tanker in 2002. "

So they were aboard a US warship in a haven for Islamic militants and they were innocent.
I don't think so. They were legitimate targets for the terrorists there. A major factor in their deaths was the failure to take proper defensive steps -such as live ammunition.
I am not defending the terrorists here, and I don't want American servicemen to be killed, but having a US warship in a port in a Muslim country filled with militants is a provocation.
Actually, I want to know what moron in the Navy thought berthing the Cole in Yemen was a good idea?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Ah, the Blame America First crowd is at the Bully Pulpit again. :roll:

"If only we hadn't been there..."
"If only..."

Sometimes I wonder about the mental condition of you folks.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Ah, the Blame America First crowd is at the Bully Pulpit again. :roll:

"If only we hadn't been there..."
"If only..."

Sometimes I wonder about the mental condition of you folks.

Isn't it past your bedtime?
Yes, I will blame the American govt when it does obviously stupid things and gets people killed. Who's bright idea was it to berth a warship in a very hostile port?
And not allowing the guards to open fire on attackers, whose fault is that?
The treatment the investigating FBI officers received is a good indication that the country of Yemen is very hostile to Americans, unless you are stupid?

Rules of engagement
The destroyer's rules of engagement, as approved by the Pentagon, kept its guards from firing upon the small boat loaded with explosives as it neared them without first obtaining permission from the Cole's captain or another officer.[citation needed]

Petty Officer John Washak said that right after the blast, a senior chief petty officer ordered him to turn an M-60 machine gun on the Cole's fantail away from a second small boat approaching. "With blood still on my face," he said, he was told: "That's the rules of engagement: no shooting unless we're shot at." He added, "In the military, it's like we're trained to hesitate now. If somebody had seen something wrong and shot, he probably would have been court-martialed."[citation needed] Petty Officer Jennifer Kudrick said that if the sentries had fired on the suicide craft "we would have gotten in more trouble for shooting two foreigners than losing seventeen American sailors

Newsweek reported that on the following day, "six days after Bush took office," the FBI "believed they had clear evidence tying the bombers to Al Qaeda."[15] The Washington Post reported that, on February 9, Vice President Dick Cheney was briefed on bin Laden's responsibility "without hedge."[16]
These conclusions are contrasted by testimony of key figures before the 9/11 Commission, summarized in the 9/11 Commission Report. Former CIA Director George Tenet testified (page 196) that he "believed he laid out what was knowable early in the investigation, and that this evidence never really changed until after 9/11."[17] The report suggests (pages 201 - 202) that the official assessment was similarly vague until at least March of 2001:

On January 25, Tenet briefed the President on the Cole investigation. The written briefing repeated for top officials of the new administration what the CIA had told the Clinton White House in November. This included the "preliminary judgment" that al Qaeda was responsible, with the caveat that no evidence had yet been found that Bin Ladin himself ordered the attack... in March 2001, the CIA's briefing slides for Rice were still describing the CIA's "preliminary judgment" that a "strong circumstantial case" could be made against al Qaeda but noting that the CIA continued to lack "conclusive information on external command and control" of the attack.[17]

According to Dr. Rice, the decision not to respond militarily to the Cole bombing was President Bush's. She said he "made clear to us that he did not want to respond to al Qaeda one attack at a time. He told me he was 'tired of swatting flies.'" The administration instead began work on a new strategy to eliminate al-Qaeda.[18]

American FBI agents sent to Yemen to investigate the bombing in the days following the blast worked in an extremely hostile environment. They were met at the airport by Yemen Special forces "each soldier pointing an AK-47 at the plane." Speakers in the Yemeni parliament "calling for jihad against America," were broadcast on local television each night. After some delay Yemenis produced a CCTV video from a harborside security camera, but with the crucial moment of the explosion deleted. [6] "There were so many perceived threats that the agents often slept in their clothes and with their weapons at their sides." At one point the hotel where the agents stayed "was surrounded with men in traditional dress, some in jeeps, all carrying guns." Finally the agents abandoned their hotel to stay at a navy vessel in the Bay of Aden, but even that was not safe. After being granted "permission from the Yemeni government to fly back to shore," their helicopter "was painted by an SA-7 missile" and "had to take evasive maneuvers

President Bill Clinton declared, "If, as it now appears, this was an act of terrorism, it was a despicable and cowardly act. We will find out who was responsible and hold them accountable". Some critics have pointed out that, under U.S. law, an attack against a military target does not meet the legal definition of terrorism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
What is a suitable punishment for a guy who has killed, because he's brain dead, thousands and thousands of innocent Iraqis and thousands more innocent American soldiers?

Bush hasn't killed anybody. Did he order the execution of Iraqi civilians? Nope. Did order the rounding of Iraqi civilians to be placed in labor camps? Nope.

War is war, buddy. 40 million civilians died in WWII, many of which attributed to bombings and indiscriminate attacks against cities, solely for the purpose of eliminating the enemy regardless of civilian damages.

Does that make all the leaders of the World who participated in the war murders? Of course not.

War is WAR. Sorry.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: marincounty
Yes, I will blame the American govt when it does obviously stupid things and gets people killed. Who's bright idea was it to berth a warship in a very hostile port?
And not allowing the guards to open fire on attackers, whose fault is that?
The treatment the investigating FBI officers received is a good indication that the country of Yemen is very hostile to Americans, unless you are stupid?

So it is Clinton's fault now? Even I wouldn't agree with that.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
What is a suitable punishment for a guy who has killed, because he's brain dead, thousands and thousands of innocent Iraqis and thousands more innocent American soldiers?

Bush hasn't killed anybody. Did he order the execution of Iraqi civilians? Nope. Did order the rounding of Iraqi civilians to be placed in labor camps? Nope.

War is war, buddy. 40 million civilians died in WWII, many of which attributed to bombings and indiscriminate attacks against cities, solely for the purpose of eliminating the enemy regardless of civilian damages.

Does that make all the leaders of the World who participated in the war murders? Of course not.

War is WAR. Sorry.

Please don't interject common sense here.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

War is WAR. Sorry.

Please don't interject common sense here.

Common sense is the common term for common stupidity. Did Bush go to war? Are thousands and thousands dead? Was the war a stupid Bush option or a legal and necessary one based on imminent threat? Neither of you can reason properly because you are in denial. Your imbecile in chief has wasted the only lives of thousands and thousands of people and walks around with a shit eating grin. Those who support him are little better.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Common sense is the common term for common stupidity. Did Bush go to war? Are thousands and thousands dead? Was the war a stupid Bush option or a legal and necessary one based on imminent threat?

According to politicians, war was declared because Iraq supposedly had WMDs. They didn't. Tough s**t.

The vast majority of wars aren't out of imminent threats. We joined WWI because we didn't want to lose economic and social ties with Britain and France.

Neither of you can reason properly because you are in denial.

In denial of what? You're parading around calling the President of the United States a murder.

Your imbecile in chief has wasted the only lives of thousands and thousands of people and walks around with a shit eating grin.

He's not my chief. Why must you assume everything is out of partisan zealotry?

Oct 30, 2004

We should just swoop in without warning and rendition him. After having squeezed him for any information he might have, we dismember him, cover his body parts in pigs blood, and place his head on a pike surrounded by the pigs' blood soaked body parts. Not sure where the best place for this display would be, though.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

We should just swoop in without warning and rendition him. After having squeezed him for any information he might have, we dismember him, cover his body parts in pigs blood, and place his head on a pike surrounded by the pigs' blood soaked body parts. Not sure where the best place for this display would be, though.

Mecca?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Mecca?
That's pretty damn tasteless man... stop handing the Lefties ammo to use against you in every debate!

I often agree with your main points, but insulting 1.5 billion people, in one fell swoop, wouldn't be the brightest thing to do... and you know that.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Mecca?
That's pretty damn tasteless man... stop handing the Lefties ammo to use against you in every debate!

I often agree with your main points, but insulting 1.5 billion people, in one fell swoop, wouldn't be the brightest thing to do... and you know that.

That's not "tasteless", that's psycho...and it's just as dangerous as the bullshit spewing from the wackjobs who look up to Osama.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

Is that all you have? Provocation? So because a U.S ship was near Yemen, a known muslim country filled with militants (aren't they all :D), the attacks against them are justified?

According to your analysis, anything that remotely resembles provocation is justified, right?

I guess the Jews certainly provoked the Nazi's, you know, for being Jewish an all. :Disgust;

There is no such thing as legitimacy and terrorists. American warships follow rules, terrorists do not. Please go suck on a semantics stick and move to Yemen. I'm sure you'll be happy with your provoking terrorist buddies.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
There is no such thing as legitimacy and terrorists. American warships follow rules, terrorists do not. Please go suck on a semantics stick and move to Yemen. I'm sure you'll be happy with your provoking terrorist buddies.

QFT. :thumbsup: