Years of Clinton era welfare reform looking to be reversed with the stimulus bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Since this **big shocker** is based upon Robert Rector of the Heritage Foundation, maybe someone can show me where the current legislation repeals the primary tenets of the welfare reform of the 1990's ...

# - Require most recipients to work within two years of receiving assistance
# - Limit assistance to five years total, and
# - Establish "family caps" to deny additional benefits

Could this be a typical knee jerk of the Offended Conservatives to the Fed actually helping their budget distressed State brethren?

My recollection of welfare reform was that Newt's version was resoundingly rejected - so much so that Clinton shut down the Federal gov't.

... and this subsequently led to Newt's downfall.

I've got some old numbers I can dig out if anyone is interested. It seems that the greatest impact of welfare reform was felt in the rural sections of Red States ...

This came to my mind too. Before speculating anything I want to find out the other side to this story. I think this article is far too biased to take seriously.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Zebo
THROWING money at education is certainly failing.

Depends on the state and county district. Some of them truly need more money and the result will be much more efficient public education. Others are in much greater need of learning how to spend that money wisely.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
WTF

Clinton's welfare reform is by far the best piece of legislation he's done in his 8 years. The poverty rate went down ex-post and the cost of the system went down also... democrats will spend themselves out of the office yet again.

As much as I hated Clinton, I have to agree that he did well signing (thank you Contract with America) that legislation.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Depends on the state and county district. Some of them truly need more money and the result will be much more efficient public education. Others are in much greater need of learning how to spend that money wisely.

joking w/ Nemesis who claims throughing money around is not fair when he obviously attended tax payer funded public schooling.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

joking w/ Nemesis who claims throughing money around is not fair when he obviously attended tax payer funded public schooling.

Hehe I should have caught that one. :)

I just always try to debunk the idea that providing extra funding to public schools is a waste of money. I also try to debunk the idea that giving them more money is a guarantee for success. Those are two of the most popular opinions to have and they are also two of the least informed opinions.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

No Zebo Actually 1-10 I spent in private school. Grades 11-12 Public. The Catholic Church actually threw my ass out as I recall it was something About me calling them a bunch of lieing oppertunist. I am proud I stood against them. Zebo . I never opened a text book in 11 or 12 grade . only went to 1/5 of class time . I was working . But I aced their stupid test so they couldn't flunk me . LOL.

Ya I was serious with that 1st post guys. I am not scared more relieved than anything. I kinda in my heart thought America would be taken because its people grew bad.

I feel better about the fact . Its not because were bad. Its because we trusted in men and put faith in men . Who have decieved us . Now they plan on getting rid of all with courage and conscience.

I was telling trueth about the camp. There suppose to be over 300 going up all over the US. I sent my daughter to india. When she got back she was just freaked. She said things are not good over there out all. Now I am sending both kids out 1 west the other east . To get pic of other camps we been told about. If they are indeed there. My wife and kids are both quiting jobs. Wife will take her 401K now cash out take the hugh penelity. Thats It. We won't pay in any more were just going to take. Well enjoy the time we have left together and make the most of it. I pray they are strong when I am not there with them . But this party is over. The Math on Oil usage Vs. reserves doesn't lie. The Math on Population growth isn't a lie. More and More pics are coming in of the hugh whatever it is close to the sun at sunrise and sundown . Its there I don't care what you believe. So your eyes are lieing to ya.

Heres how they want to handle protesters in the US now . Think about it .

This is your welfare money working as its never worked before. Its round up time boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...sst0R8&feature=related

Listen to this . Wake up people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0b1q6WgP0U&NR=1

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: mooseracing
Welfarre needs to be setup like other countries that I can't remember the name of. You need to be actively seeking work, you can only be on it for x amount of years, Welfare benefits can't be high enough to support a person living a middle class life. I'm tired of seeing them in new cars, name brand clothes and not work a day in their life. Or at the last Church can food handout, every car that wasn't older than a 2000 model spec, some people don't seem to understand priorities.

Either way this country is goign to continue to fail since we just try to bandage wounds that need to be amputated.
BS
My ex-sister in law is on welfare and she gets no cash with 3 kids. She does get free rent in a ramshackled violent apartment complex, free child care and ~ $500 in food stamps. I give her $200 a month just to get to her dental assistants classes. We also paid the $7000 for tuition of the $11000 government did not pay. Frankly they are trapped and without outside help will stay trapped.

The only reason she has a shot is her kids grandparents and uncles have a little money to help irrespective of her deadbeat x-husband, my brother.
My mother, sister, brother and myself grew up on welfare...we were as poor as dirt but we were NOT trapped. People who want to make something of their lives...do it, those who don't...don't. Being "trapped" is more a matter of choice than most admit.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
90% of welfare recipients are single mothers and their children.

A good portion of the remainder is disabled.

That argument aside... the funding to community organizing was cut weeks ago.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: mooseracing
Welfarre needs to be setup like other countries that I can't remember the name of. You need to be actively seeking work, you can only be on it for x amount of years, Welfare benefits can't be high enough to support a person living a middle class life. I'm tired of seeing them in new cars, name brand clothes and not work a day in their life. Or at the last Church can food handout, every car that wasn't older than a 2000 model spec, some people don't seem to understand priorities.

Either way this country is goign to continue to fail since we just try to bandage wounds that need to be amputated.
BS
My ex-sister in law is on welfare and she gets no cash with 3 kids. She does get free rent in a ramshackled violent apartment complex, free child care and ~ $500 in food stamps. I give her $200 a month just to get to her dental assistants classes. We also paid the $7000 for tuition of the $11000 government did not pay. Frankly they are trapped and without outside help will stay trapped.

The only reason she has a shot is her kids grandparents and uncles have a little money to help irrespective of her deadbeat x-husband, my brother.
My mother, sister, brother and myself grew up on welfare...we were as poor as dirt but we were NOT trapped. People who want to make something of their lives...do it, those who don't...don't. Being "trapped" is more a matter of choice than most admit.

Everyone's situation is different. Some have it easier than others. It would be much better if we had more jobs that these people could do and not be making minimum wage or just a tad over that.

A lot of people forget that most do not want to rely on social services. It is not a happy life.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Obama's a big rookie. Hillary, where are you? Save us from the newbie please.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

No Zebo Actually 1-10 I spent in private school. Grades 11-12 Public. The Catholic Church actually threw my ass out as I recall it was something About me calling them a bunch of lieing oppertunist. I am proud I stood against them. Zebo . I never opened a text book in 11 or 12 grade . only went to 1/5 of class time . I was working . But I aced their stupid test so they couldn't flunk me . LOL.

Ya I was serious with that 1st post guys. I am not scared more relieved than anything. I kinda in my heart thought America would be taken because its people grew bad.

I feel better about the fact . Its not because were bad. Its because we trusted in men and put faith in men . Who have decieved us . Now they plan on getting rid of all with courage and conscience.

I was telling trueth about the camp. There suppose to be over 300 going up all over the US. I sent my daughter to india. When she got back she was just freaked. She said things are not good over there out all. Now I am sending both kids out 1 west the other east . To get pic of other camps we been told about. If they are indeed there. My wife and kids are both quiting jobs. Wife will take her 401K now cash out take the hugh penelity. Thats It. We won't pay in any more were just going to take. Well enjoy the time we have left together and make the most of it. I pray they are strong when I am not there with them . But this party is over. The Math on Oil usage Vs. reserves doesn't lie. The Math on Population growth isn't a lie. More and More pics are coming in of the hugh whatever it is close to the sun at sunrise and sundown . Its there I don't care what you believe. So your eyes are lieing to ya.

Heres how they want to handle protesters in the US now . Think about it .

This is your welfare money working as its never worked before. Its round up time boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...sst0R8&feature=related

Listen to this . Wake up people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0b1q6WgP0U&NR=1Your post, if you are being serious, makes me sad. Seriously.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Well, although National Review does have some insightful articles from time to time, this is not one of them. It reeks of partisan hackery. Gotta love those unjustified swipes at "ACORN and the rest of the 'community organizing' gang". Sensationalism FTL.

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act was followed by reductions in both the number of families on welfare and the rate of poverty

I for one would like to see proof of this. The article didn't cite anything. Personally, I agree that this act was necessary to keep welfare programs in check, however, I disagree that they systemically reduced poverty. Like it has been said on this forum and in many other places, nobody stays poor for the government incentives. We were in the middle of an economic boom, so it was much easier to lift yourselves up by your bootstraps. In the middle of a bad recession like this one, not so much. We do need to review welfare from time to time to see what is working. To say that this stimulus is looking to reverse this act seems to be a lot of FUD.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Now is not the time to be throwing people on the streets to look for Work that does not exist. Make it Temporary, but make it happen.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: halik
WTF

Clinton's welfare reform is by far the best piece of legislation he's done in his 8 years. The poverty rate went down ex-post and the cost of the system went down also... democrats will spend themselves out of the office yet again.

As much as I hated Clinton, I have to agree that he did well signing (thank you Contract with America) that legislation.

As much as I liked Clinton , this was one of the worst things he did, signing this bad bill.

How about a 5 year limit on those receiving the mortgage interest deduction on their taxes?
How about a 5 year limit on contractors receiving tax dollars?

Most of you have no idea how little welfare pays, or how hard it is to jump through the hoops to get it. If it is such easy money I suggest you quit your job and apply for welfare.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
LBJ was one of our greatest Presidents. Thank you for the good news.

How's the war on poverty going? Is poverty dead yet?

Poverty has been declining since LBJ declared war on poverty, although it has ticked upward under GWB.

Where's Bin Laden again?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The war on poverty is going extremely well, why do you ask? The poverty rate today is somewhere around 12%, which is approximately half the historical average prior to its start.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

Better than the War on Drugs
Why do you divert?

I divert? The real answer is that the War on Poverty has turned out quite well. I didn't "divert", I merely went easy on him.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The Democrats are determined to continue ruining this country, but in a different style than that used by the Republicans.

Nov 30, 2006

Better than the War on Drugs
Why do you divert?

I divert? The real answer is that the War on Poverty has turned out quite well. I didn't "divert", I merely went easy on him.
Thanks....I like your 'real answer' better. Here's a table that shows the poverty levels since 1959. It appears that the dramatic drop in provety rate in the early 60's may be directly related to the huge growth of our economy during that period more than anything. More jobs, less povery....makes sense.