yeah... so i overclocked my e7200 by simply setting 1 jumper... that's it?

Jul 10, 2007
so this jumper takes the FSB from 266 to 333 and that was all i did.
did not have to mess around with dividers, multiplier, voltage or anything mentioned in the sticky up top.

CPU-Z reports it at 3173 MHz, well, that's when speedstep whatever doesn't kick in (when it does, it's 2005Mhz).
voltage is at about 1.136v, fluctuating slightly.

so a few follow up questions.

1. do i have to worrry about the pci bus and RAM not running at the proper speed? i can't really see what it's currently running at since i left everything else at auto. if it's stable, am i good to go?

2. is there a way to disable the speedstep thing? i couldn't find it in the bios. this mb.
found it in the manual. apparently MSI calls it DOT control.

3. RealTemp temps overall are up a degree or 2, up as high as 54C under stress.
also, the temp will jump from say 37, to 52, to 46 within seconds. most of the time it's stable but once in awhile after some cpu activity, it seems to be fluctuating a lot.

4. the PC doesn't really feel much faster than before. 3dmark scores went up by only a couple hundred.
overall, i have a very artificial feeling about it... as if the software is just doing some calculations of the FSB and multiplier and popping it on the screen... no real performance increase.
just a comment really...

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Yep, it's that easy...and you could even push higher if you have the components to handle it (why stop at 333?).

PCI bus won't change and RAM will automatically adjust to run at the correct speed.

Don't disable speedstep, it will clock down your processor when not actively in use to save you power & heat (and therefore increase longevity of the cpu).

You won't notice a difference between 2.5GHz and 3.2GHz in 'typical' office or surfing duties. It's only when you get into video encoding or other strenuous tasks that the extra speed will become apparent (if you don't need the extra speed, why OC?).

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Denithor
Yep, it's that easy...and you could even push higher if you have the components to handle it (why stop at 333?).

PCI bus won't change and RAM will automatically adjust to run at the correct speed.

Don't disable speedstep, it will clock down your processor when not actively in use to save you power & heat (and therefore increase longevity of the cpu).

You won't notice a difference between 2.5GHz and 3.2GHz in 'typical' office or surfing duties. It's only when you get into video encoding or other strenuous tasks that the extra speed will become apparent (if you don't need the extra speed, why OC?).

1. don't really need all that processing power. i browse mostly, game about 15% of the time, and even then, the games aren't that demanding.

2. heat

3. prolong life of cpu

4. related to 2 and 3, don't want to bump up the voltage