Yeah I know but.....one CFX bridge or two?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Please excuse my almost trivial question, regarding the subject, but I thought that one CFX bridge was enough. I am actually using only one on my primary rig and it works fine so far.

The other day, I was doing some reconfiguration on my tertiary rig and when I put everything back together, I forgot to connect the bridge. I was using one bridge on that rig as well.

Now when I went to Cat 14.4 to enable crossfire, it gave me this warning.

v7rrxe.png

So is the second bridge really needed? Is there a problem if we don't use a second bridge?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. The tertiary rig has shown a very strange problem lately, that's why I reconfigured it actually. When I was powering it up after a long period of inactivity (say several hours) it wouldn't post. I had to press the reset button and then it would post fine, no matter how many times I powered it up again. Until it was left dormant for hours again.

Now that I have connected the second bridge, it powers up fine every time. Does that have anything to do with it, or is the reconfiguration and the BIOS reset I did fix something?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
One bridge is meant to be all you need for two cards. The second connector is there purely for triple crossfire as far as I am aware.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Back in the old days when those bridges were required, I never had an issue just using one. :thumbsup:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
One bridge is meant to be all you need for two cards. The second connector is there purely for triple crossfire as far as I am aware.

This. It means both connectors on the bridge, not on the cards. I'd say that either the bridge or connector you were using before alone is damaged, and not it's using the working one.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I believe they've made a few cards which didn't support more than 2-way Crossfire, and they would only have finger per card, making it impossible for more than 1 bridge.

I have also experienced artifacts when using two bridges on a 2-way Crossfire setup, so I stick to 1.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I believe they've made a few cards which didn't support more than 2-way Crossfire, and they would only have finger per card, making it impossible for more than 1 bridge.

I have also experienced artifacts when using two bridges on a 2-way Crossfire setup, so I stick to 1.

You could still use cards with just one CF finger in 3 or 4 way CF, only the card(s) in the middle would need to have 2 CF fingers.