YaY~ The Govment is giving me thousands back in free refund money.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by amdhunter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DaWhim

DaWhim Lifer

i may end up owing this year, not good!

2. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

401k and HSA are taken out PRE-TAX. If you put more in those, there will be less taxable income to tax so there would be less taken out.

3. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

You gave uncle Sam an interest free loan! Better to get refund than to owe though. Ideal tax return is $0

4. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

True but at current interest rates, it matters little.

I looked at the money sweep on my IRA's yesterday and it was running at 0.01% for all levels of money from 0 to over $1,000,000.

5. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

I keep mine at the max owed without a penalty. In my opinion, that's ideal.

6. waggy

waggy No Lifer

I live in Dekalb county.

When i took my daughter into town for gymnastics (at 9) they had plowed but not salted. i just got back from picking her up and they had salted. the roads were clear.

well all but the 2 i live on lol they are nasty.

7. Dirigible

Dirigible Diamond Member

I dunno how I'd figure things out well enough to hit the zero refund or the "you owe but not enough for penalties" line. A large proportion of my income is bonuses and stock based so I don't know what that will be. Amt, income phaseouts of deductions, yadda yadda. It all seems way too complicated.

8. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

going to owe 5k this year. i don't even have any to give them lol. do they accept credit cards as a form of payment?

OP, congrats on the money. buy a new tv.

9. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Without predictably income and expenses, it would require constant revision quarterly and you still will not make out at zero range of any unexpected difference shows up in the last quarter.

10. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

I knew I was setting myself up for exactly that :biggrin:

11. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

I can't wait to see how much I get back. First year of working shifts and having lot of variable pays. That tends to create good tax returns. Though I think there's still lot of variables and it could go the other way. I just hope I don't end up having to pay. That always sucks.

12. dud

dud Diamond Member

You're close ... he's a double dumb-ass. Those that get refunds (unless you make almost no money) AND brag about it are fools. They forget that the "refund" is actually monies that they have overpaid, that were due them ... and are being refunded at 0% interest.

I'm sure that I will get some flack on this ... but how do you argue with a moron? I guess it's like wrestling a greased pig ...

13. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

It's still better than having to dish out thousands of dollars that will be completely wasted instead of being used to buy something, thus stimulating the economy. Look at it as a savings plan.

14. highland145

highland145 Lifer

Actually, I should get about $30K back. I'll post a screenshot of the fed/state return deposits. My "problem" is that I started another business that was supposed to have ~$50K input before it started paying for itself, so I didn't stop my monthly deposits from my regular job. Didn't/hasn't worked out as planned and I've lost my ass (and then some) for 2012. I'm getting all of my deposits back and most likely EITC. Guess that makes me a different kind of dumb ass.:$

But, hey, 12 people have jobs that may not otherwise and I'm a "job creator." Thanks for your tax contributions to my EITC.

15. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

Don't know what I'll get back. Probably not too awfully much though. I think it was about $200 last year.

Imagine that you need to pay $1000 in rent every month. However, your landlord wants an extra $200/month, just because.
    But, he'll then hand you back $2,400 every April, also just because.
    Seems kind of odd, no?

In this particular case, it's not a terribly large sum of money, but that $1,200 could have been in your pocket, in your bank, or in investments, potentially earning interest. (Though with today's interest rates in safe savings and investment locations, that interest would probably buy you half of a postage stamp.:\)

But that's where it comes from. The government is withholding an extra amount of money from many taxpayers for a year. Theoretically, they could use that for their own investments, such as in infrastructure upgrades to the country. Realistically, they'll do what they're most effective at doing: Wasting it on corrupt and useless projects. Just because.

But yes, most people are indeed terrible with finances - including the majority of elected officials.
    And when they get that tax refund, I'm sure many treat it like it is commonly viewed: Free money from the government. No, it's just your own money, which they so kindly held onto for a year.

#40 Jeff7, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  16. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I'm not sure who the "morons" are in this thread. Certainly not the OP, since *OBVIOUSLY* the OP is just trolling. Ya'll just done been trolled.

17. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

I tried the free fillable forms e-filing thing this year. Seems to have worked. I can't get too excited about the whole "loan to the government" thing when savings accounts are paying under 1% (Thank you Federal Reserve).

18. waggy

waggy No Lifer

/this

most are paying roughly 1-3%. that is not a whole lot of interest on a few grand.

19. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

No idea what I'll get back, hoping for 3k since I have a lot of stock write offs that have been piling up for a couple years. Probably get a couple hundred back from just working, so that's something at least. Gotta wait till brokerage firms send me the forms though, feb 14th..sigh.

20. minendo

minendo Elite Member

As of right now I am getting back $1. Minimal free loan for the government from me.

21. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

I'm just hoping I don't have to come up with $10K like I did last year. Also, mailing in estimated tax payments sucks too.

22. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Actually, you have it backwards. You gave them free money over the course of the entire year and now they are giving the excess you paid back to you.

23. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Ya'll got trolled.

24. tboo

tboo Diamond Member

Life is good right now. The government pays for my food, I live in sweet-ass subsidized housing, soon Ill have dirt cheap health insurance, and I even get a free phone with 250 min a month!. I barely work yet will be getting a nice return this year. Now if I can figure out a way to have the gov pay for my gas.

25. preslove

preslove Lifer

Everyone calling the op an idiot knows this is a troll thread, right?