YAY! senators give themselves more money!!!~

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Eh... I have no problem with it. They make a fraction of what the average athlete makes while performing much more important duties for the country.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I'm very happy to know that, even though we have a whopping deficit and we're about to go to war, our hardworking politicians were able to find a few pennies to give themselves a raise. You do realize, though, that this doesn't reflect all of their perks, bennies and expenses.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I'm very happy to know that, even though we have a whopping deficit and we're about to go to war, our hardworking politicians were able to find a few pennies to give themselves a raise. You do realize, though, that this doesn't reflect all of their perks, bennies and expenses.

Considering all things, I dont have a problem with the money. What have a bit of a gripe with is that no matter what else would happen, if total gridlock struck, one thing above all would have been done. This. Not going to lose sleep about it though.

Edit- HappyPuppys comment about perks. If I could wave the magic wand, junkets would be a thing of the past. No special interest group or corporation would be wining and dining my representatives.

FrozenYak

Oct 10, 2002
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Eh... I have no problem with it. They make a fraction of what the average athlete makes while performing much more important duties for the country.

o ya, 'important duties' they had a Canadian a while back who was spending all his time in mexico and only coming in for the minimum required days.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: FrozenYak

o ya, 'important duties' they had a Canadian a while back who was spending all his time in mexico and only coming in for the minimum required days.

The Canadian Senate is nothing more than a joke.

Appointed by the Prime Minister...so dumb.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
So how does that compare with other raises?

It's less, percentage wise, than what the military got.

And less that Federal Employees. I know where I'd start the layoffs though!

:|:frown:

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

So what. The Constitution never said anything about salaries! Heck, it was never suppose to be a career job!!!

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
oh i see, thats why voting in republicans was better:p

Since the Senate is still under Democrat control right now, YES! As good a reson as any.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: SaltBoy Eh... I have no problem with it. They make a fraction of what the average athlete makes while performing much more important duties for the country.
So what. The Constitution never said anything about salaries! Heck, it was never suppose to be a career job!!!

No.
See section 6, clause 1 of my link to job description AKA constitution

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I don't see a problem with it, people here in the private sector would be outraged if they didn't get their annual raises.

Hell, I'm outraged that nobody is getting more than ~3% these days where I work.

Viper GTS

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Under a 1989 law, congressional cost-of-living pay raises pegged to inflation go into effect automatically unless lawmakers vote to block them.

Uhhh...this is a cost-of-living adjustment, not a raise. It happens over all of government, not just the senate.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Good, they need more money. Seriously 150,000 isn't really that much if you are a senator. Money goes fast on necesities like suits, etc. Also, why is everyone btching so much about the deficit? It's not like we are ever going to pay it off, so get real. I think they deserve 150,000... I would like to hear reasons why not.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Good, they need more money. Seriously 150,000 isn't really that much if you are a senator. Money goes fast on necesities like suits, etc. Also, why is everyone btching so much about the deficit? It's not like we are ever going to pay it off, so get real. I think they deserve 150,000... I would like to hear reasons why not.
because the government pays for so much of their lifestyle that their cost of living is almost nothing... besides maybe family.

bsd

Banned
Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: BlinderBomberGood, they need more money. Seriously 150,000 isn't really that much if you are a senator. Money goes fast on necesities like suits, etc. Also, why is everyone btching so much about the deficit? It's not like we are ever going to pay it off, so get real. I think they deserve 150,000... I would like to hear reasons why not.
because the government pays for so much of their lifestyle that their cost of living is almost nothing... besides maybe family.

to incapacitate them infavour of unelected technocrats and advisers!

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
that's nothing for being a senator, though. I don't think they can live with that salary.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
So what... they are all millionaires anyway. Ask yourself this. Why would you spend 20 million for a senate seat which will only give a residual of 750K in salary over 6 years? hmmm... ya to serve that's it.

It's a lot better to own a polititian than to be one though:)