Yay I'm Rich

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: QuaziK
People who have a large portion of their portfolio in one company are noobs.
why sure its more risky but potential for higher than average gains id imaginee

I work with people who lost hundreds of thousands in Enron stock (for many their whole retirement). You can go from megabucks to birdcage liner in a heartbeat.

Diversity is the only way to go.

Depends on the company. A previous employer I worked at did profit sharing and company matches in company stock. It's free money from the employer. Who's going to turn it down?

Can't you accept it and then sell it to buy other investments so you don't just have company stock?

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: ahurtt
You aren't rich until you actually sell it. Until then you're only rich on paper.
I love when people who are losing in the stock market claim they're not losing anything until they sell. Stocks = gambling, not investing. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about it.

So then what's investing? Throwing your money away in mutual funds?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
You aren't rich until you actually sell it. Until then you're only rich on paper.
I love when people who are losing in the stock market claim they're not losing anything until they sell. Stocks = gambling, not investing. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about it.

rh71's comment was stupid, but yours is just as stupid.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: QuaziK
People who have a large portion of their portfolio in one company are noobs.
why sure its more risky but potential for higher than average gains id imaginee

I work with people who lost hundreds of thousands in Enron stock (for many their whole retirement). You can go from megabucks to birdcage liner in a heartbeat.

Diversity is the only way to go.

Depends on the company. A previous employer I worked at did profit sharing and company matches in company stock. It's free money from the employer. Who's going to turn it down?

Can't you accept it and then sell it to buy other investments so you don't just have company stock?

my exwife had stock options when she worked for circle K corporate. wasnt a huge deal at first, but then tosco marketing bought them out and the stock skyrocketed. she talked about selling it for a lot of the same reasons you guys are saying, but we never did. the company got bought out a couple more times, split a couple times and got huge. all in all, her initial stock had grown about 12 times the original worth. she finally sold it after the last split when couch-tard bought them, prompting private investors to buy the retail section off of them. good money there, and all from a freebie from the company in the first place. i ee stock options from the company you work for as a link to your job. i wont sell the stock i have in my company until i dont work there anymore.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
big deal. im going to the padres/giants game tonight and ill be rich after catching barry's #755 homerun ball.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
i wont sell the stock i have in my company until i dont work there anymore.
Bad idea. Just see Enron for personal examples like your own (but with the opposite result). If the company goes sour, you are out your job AND a big chunk (if not all) of your retirement.

It is ok to have some of your company stock. Just make certain (1) you also have significant amounts of stock in lots of other companys, and (2) you are willing to sell your company stock just after it peaked. You shouldn't sell before the peak, you can't ever predict the peak. But you certainly can see that it had peaked and sell then. You can always buy back in when it is a fraction of the price you sold it for.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Bought some options for .10 on Tuesday (I think, might have been wednesday), sold for 35 cents the next day, today its at 5 cents. Whew.....

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: bigdog1218

rh71's comment was stupid, but yours is just as stupid.

I've said the same thing time and again. I've yet to see an explanation as to why throwing money into something and possibly getting more or less in return is NOT gambling.

I looked up the definition of investing. It states that you have expectations of profit. Well golly - that's brilliant. Like I said, you're only calling it investing to feel better about yourself - how exactly is this NOT gambling ?

<-- has been gambling plenty.