Yay Hellgate London beta!

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I think you have to pre-order the game to get in the beta.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Is it worth it? I was a huge Diablo series fan, and I've had my eye on this game. Money is kinda tight right now, but if it's worth it I'll preorder it to start getting good :D

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I put in a few hours tonight. It is a pretty fun game. I was an engineer. There are some glaringly obvious bugs still in the game which is rather alarming. They just did a big patch before they let this wave of beta testers in. I got dumped to desktop once. I had some display breaking bug hit me twice that I had seen someone else in chat asking about. I know they typically have an internal build that is further in development than the external build but with 3 weeks to release, this is coming close and I think they are stuck on their halloween date so I wouldn't be surprised if it hits with a fair number of bugs in it.

It really does play like Diablo in many ways. However, they put a lot of MMORPG features in. I have not played with my friend yet (or any randoms either) but I am interested how that will break down. Compared to WoW, one thing that bugged me about their interface was the inability to keep going while performing character maintenance. When you had a long stretch in WoW, you could pop your stats or inventory open and fiddle around. However, this game makes you unable to control anything but the particular pane you opened.

Another thing that is weird is that the mouse pointer is purely a free-look. Sometimes I want to look ahead while clicking something on the right side of my screen.

Those are my initial impressions but I enjoyed the game so far.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I played the beta for a couple days.
At first the game is a lot of fun.
But that changes the more you play it.

The monster variety is not that great and the levels tend to all look alike after a while.
Even when you go to hell its just like every other time.
Personally , I don't think the game is going to do that well.

Read the forums from long time players and you will see a lot of common complaints about how repetitive the game becomes .

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'm in the beta and have loved it so far.

I've leveled 3 characters to level 17-20, been in beta for 2 weeks or so.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Judgement

Found it to be repetitive yet? That's the number 1 complaint I've heard.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Auryg
Originally posted by: Judgement

Found it to be repetitive yet? That's the number 1 complaint I've heard.

It can be, but not more so than Diablo games. Some of the instances look the same... but what did Diablo 2 have? Plains(act1) , Desert (2), Jungle(3) and Hell(4)...but it was still a great game. Hellgate has more than what Diablo 2 had in just the acts provided in the beta.

My biggest complaint would be the stat requirements on items, I feel spread too thin putting points in stats I need for equipment instead of what I want. Many times I've had gear for several levels dumping points into a stat I didn't to want.. just to equip a legendary item. Not game breaking but I believe it needs some work.

Second biggest is that currently the class I want to play the most is extremely underpowered. I've played through all the beta content twice with this class and still die frequently, while with other classes I feel as if the game is too easy. This is also just in the 1st of 3 difficulty levels.

The beta does not contain any FMVs etc so the storyline isn't explained very well nor does it transition between acts fluidly so I am looking forward to that.

If you loved Diablo 2 and can enjoy the game for what other action RPGs are... a good storyline the first time through, multiple difficulty levels, the desire to work for gear even after you've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty, and just running through online with friends.. you will love the game.

The game will take 25+ hours to beat at the very least I think, thats better than most single player games, now add multiplayer, multiple difficulty levels, replays with other classes etc...

I'm pleased so far but I hope more class balancing is done before release.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
This game sucks.

The boards are so small. I liked D2 10x better. Top down view is better than FPS for a game like this.

We need a true Diablo sequel ala Titan Quest.

wb182

Nov 15, 2004
After playing the Beta for about a week, I'm debating about cancelling my pre-order. On the one-hand it's nice to have a Diablo 2 clone that's made for higher resolutions, but on the other hand I *quickly* saw exactly the same repitition that burned me out on Diablo 2 in the first place.

Plus, I'm one of those people that isn't satisfied with a "basic" account, and would have to upgrade to "Elite" with either a 1-time $150 charge or $10 monthly. At this point, I'm not seeing the value, especially with so many other quality games that have just come out or are on the horizon.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Congratulations! You've been selected to be part of an elite group to help test Hellgate: London, the highly-anticipated Action-RPG from Flagship Studios!

I'm torn whether or not to actually download it.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The Beta has no cutscenes in it? :confused: That kinda sucks as they are usually vital to the storyline. So what happens when you complete a level? The next one just starts?

I'm downloading it now...on my crappy 50KB/s connection...gonna take awhile.

I put in to be a Beta Tester weeks ago and got the invite a few hours ago. At least I'm in!

Side Note: Anyone primarily playing SINGLE PLAYER and has applied the patch they released a couple of days ago? Did the patch break more than it fixed? Should I apply it?

*edit*
This sucks. I just found out that the Beta is Single Player only. It won't be much fun w/my connection speed. Plus, nobody likes a n00b...everyone will be fragging away and I'll have no idea what to do and get booted off the server. :| I'll give it a shot anyway, though.

/runs off to find an original UT server and frag everyone

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The single player beta is supposed to be released on 18 Oct. It's not up on the hellgate.com site as of this moment. :(

:clock: <--watching

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Congratulations! You've been selected to be part of an elite group to help test Hellgate: London, the highly-anticipated Action-RPG from Flagship Studios!

I downloaded, but now I'm torn on whether to actually install and play it. :D

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: lupi

i am D/L'ing it

but WHY the heck did i have to sign a NDA?
:confused:

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
LIVE is coming to XP.

[rant]
LIVE is the biggest crap ever introduced in gaming. Paying a monthly fee to run servers on my own hardware? It's not going to fly in the PC world, M$ can do me a favor and kiss my @ss (sans that disgusting loudmouthed, fat loser called Ballmer - he's way too ugly and pathetic even for my @ss. :D)

I'm always amazed how many console can be fooled into this retarded rip-off scheme - seriously, nobody ever noticed what a bunch of fuckin' BS is this?
[/rant]