yay, does anyone wanna help me with my Greek Myth Allusions?

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
this is my second post about this darn project. i needed 10 myths and 2 allusions to each of em. so far i already finished pegasus, libra, apollo, poseidon, hercules, athena, and eros (cupid). can anyone help me out with some allusions to these last few greek myths?

gemini - i already have the space program, i need one more
theseus- i have the movie 'labyrinth' and i needed one more that could do w/ medusa...etc

i couldnt think of the last one. i was thinking of atlas, but i'm not sure if it's a greek myth. i know that one allusion is the film company that uses him as their icon or symbol (anyone remember the name of the company?) and i needed one more.

so if anyone has 2 allusions to these 3 myths, or any others, i'd be VERY greatful. thanks.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Be more specific. Which three myths are you referring to. I'm a little confused by your post. Also, Atlas is a Greek myth. He was the general of the Titans in the war against the Olympian gods. As punishment, the gods made him carry the weight of the universe/world upon his shoulders. He was relieved by Hercules for a while, but was tricked into taking on the burden once again.

Also, Theseus had nothing to do with Medusa. It was Jason who cut off her head.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Oh, for Atlas, couldn't you just use an atlas, since it's composed of maps and such, which is an allusion back to Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Don't know if this counts, but the Aegean sea could be used for the one about Theseus. Sopposedly, Theseus forgot to take down the black sails and raise the white ones after defeating the Minatour as a signal back to his dad that he was alive and well when he sailed back to Athens. Aeneas was so distraught that he threw himself into the waters below where he was watching the ships sail back home and killed himself. The Aegean sea is supposedly named after him.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
pygmalion was the story of a stone cutter who made a statue for aphrodite's festival, but then fell in love with the statue. aphrodite brought the statue to life for him. the play, pygmalion by george bernard shaw, and the movie my fair lady, are modern retellings of it.