YAWT: Full Squats vs. plain ol' Squats.

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
I have been doing "Max OT" training for about 6 months or so.

I usually hit my Legs + Calves once a week.

My primary exercise for legs are Squats.

I used to do plain Squats (quads about parallel to the floor), but I changed over to Full Squats (practically all the way down) a few months ago.

I love Full Squats. They are harder and seem to produce better results.

Am I missing out on anything by not doing standard squats ?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Nothing I can think of.

I wish I could do full squats, but I'm just not able to in my old age. :(

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
At least you're not doing Semi Squats - you know, those people who don't even go parallel to the floor.

I go slightly past parallel but not anywhere near full squats though. (I do go deep as possible on leg press)

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
Originally posted by: JackBurton
I do parallel in fear of blowing my knees out doing deep squats (full squats). :(

I've heard similar elsewhere...but I generally go somewhere in between parallel and full.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
I wouldn't think you'd be missing out on anything...but you might be injuring (or increasing the chance of injury) your knees

Can anyone confirm this?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I alternate both using a 6 week cycle. Full squats (actually use a milk crate as suggested by another AT member) for 6 weeks, then standard squats for 6 weeks. While it may all be relative, the psychological boost you get from standard squats is worth doing a standard squat. You are able to lift more, which usually gives you some form of satisfaction. With full squats you know you are going to do much less weight, so you have to keep convincing yourself that the full squat gives you an advantage because it provides a fuller contraction and unique stress on the leg muscles. Plus it surprises your body that you are going that deep, pulling the muscles that much further. It's always a good thing to surprise your body when working out.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I think if I tried to go all the way down on my current weight, my knees would splatter all over the wall. I would rather do it the "safe" way.

sweetrugger

Jan 19, 2002
When you are doing squats, and stop at parallel, you actually put more pressure on your knees, as they have to support the weight while you change directions. Going deeper shifts weight to your hips as well as your knees (as far as joints are concerned). Just make sure you are flexible enough so that you aren't bending forward, which can destroy your back

sweetrugger

Jan 19, 2002
When you are doing squats, and stop at parallel, you actually put more pressure on your knees, as they have to support the weight while you change directions. Going deeper shifts weight to your hips as well as your knees (as far as joints are concerned). Just make sure you are flexible enough so that you aren't bending forward, which can destroy your back

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
I am afraid of doing full because I have bad knees... so I do er I think what you guys are calling parallel.

Bill

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
I alternate both using a 6 week cycle. Full squats (actually use a milk crate as suggested by another AT member) for 6 weeks, then standard squats for 6 weeks. While it may all be relative, the psychological boost you get from standard squats is worth doing a standard squat. You are able to lift more, which usually gives you some form of satisfaction. With full squats you know you are going to do much less weight, so you have to keep convincing yourself that the full squat gives you an advantage because it provides a fuller contraction and unique stress on the leg muscles. Plus it surprises your body that you are going that deep, pulling the muscles that much further. It's always a good thing to surprise your body when working out.

Never EVER do box squats. You are just asking for a tear in your menesci.

When I squat, I always go deep. And Im talking actually deep. I see a lot of people talking about doing full squats and still just coming to parallel or slightly lower. My ass gets like 6 inches from the ground.

Above all, my advice is this: Do the proper form with the proper weight. I have seen plenty of people load the bar with 405 or better, arch the crap out of their back and do a half of a squat at most. Doing that gets you three things. 1. injury. 2. no strength. 3. laughs as I do 315 for 8 deep.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sweetrugger
You are changing directions, but it doesn't put as much strain on your knees as full squats. That is like saying, when doing bench, it is best to let the bar bounce off your chest so it doesn't put that much strain on your shoulders. When doing full squats, your ligaments in your knees are stretched to the max and are at a very sensative state. Coming out of deep squats can really hurt your knees. Parallel has ALWAYS been considered the safe way to do squats. If you want to do deep squats, knock yourself out. I usually go deep when burning out doing legpresses though.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
squatting that deep puts too much emphasis on the glutes for my liking. my ass gets big enough already.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: PipBoy
squatting that deep puts too much emphasis on the glutes for my liking. my ass gets big enough already.

Well, if you'd pull your head out of it once in a while...

;)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Sorry, Red Dawn hacked into my brain there for a minute.

I'm all better now.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: DuffmanOhYeah

When I squat, I always go deep. And Im talking actually deep. I see a lot of people talking about doing full squats and still just coming to parallel or slightly lower. My ass gets like 6 inches from the ground.

Above all, my advice is this: Do the proper form with the proper weight. I have seen plenty of people load the bar with 405 or better, arch the crap out of their back and do a half of a squat at most. Doing that gets you three things. 1. injury. 2. no strength. 3. laughs as I do 315 for 8 deep.

Never do box squats? says who?

the world's best squatters do box squats. they're as safe as anything when
done properly, IMHO.

Spamela <--- proud, intrepid milk crate squatter

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Spamela

done properly, IMHO.

Spamela, I think you are the one that I stole the milk crate squat from.

The key is not to sit and sway, just a quick tap of the butt to the crate and pop up (well at least that's how I do it). Plus the deep squat forces me to lower the weight.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Spamela

done properly, IMHO.

Spamela, I think you are the one that I stole the milk crate squat from.

The key is not to sit and sway, just a quick tap of the butt to the crate and pop up (well at least that's how I do it). Plus the deep squat forces me to lower the weight.

you stole my patented squat training method?

another technique is to sit, pause, relax your muscles briefly, then DRIVE off the box.
varying box heights is also good, although i only use either a bench or a milk crate.

This article &
this one have some good info.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I'm starting assisted squats using a towel tied to a door knob just to get myself used to that range of motion(at 5ft 9 with a 34 inch inseam full squat isn't a real natural move for me but once I get the hang of it I'll do full weighted squats.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
For everyone concerned about their knees, remember, wearing knee wraps/pads/supports will not decrease the amount of muscle fibers stimulated, just as wearing a belt will not (there have been numerous studies done on this that I've read). Deep squatting with knee supports is the best way to maximize muscle fiber stimulation, you legs will grow at a faster rate than conventional and hit secondary muscles that conventional will not.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
My knees have been fairly bad since I was something like 18, and I don't have wraps for them, so I stick to the standard squat. Beyond that, I do mostly machine work (other than lunges) for my legs.

I might try a full squat sometime just to see how it feels. Probably put something like 135 on the bar so I don't kill myself, though.