YAWT - Build and Cut

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Ok, so I've been "building" for about 2 months now. Heavy weights / low reps (4x5s, usually) three times a week, with some (minimal) cardio on the 2 days in between (and weekends off.) I've gained about ~9 pounds (all appearing to be muscle) and have noticed a huge spike in my appetite. I used to skip breakfast, eat a weak lunch and then a decent dinner. Now I eat a good breakfast, a good lunch, a moderate snack, and dinner.

So, at what point do I start "cutting?" I like my larger mass - broader shoulders and back, thicker arms/legs - but I lack some definition and still have a bit of a belly. Since the kids start school next week, I figure this might be a good time to drag my wife to the gym in the AM, as she wants to do cardio/aerobic/weight-loss exercises. I reckon that would be a good time for me to cut down on lifting and join her on the elliptical.

So, is this a good time? Too soon? And how do you 'cut'? Do I have to stop lifting completely? I really hate running/treadmill/stairmaster/etc. I can tolerate the elliptical machine for ~20 minutes or so, but I usually get bored at the gym unless I'm lifting. Can I just drop the weight and increase the reps to help cut? Would that be helpful?

Should I diet in this stage as well? Same meals, but lesser portions or less fat?

How long should I stay in this phase? 2 weeks? A month? I'm hoping I can work out with my wife at first, then go back to building as she gets accustomed to the gym and can work out without me withing 5 feet of her.

edit: Bah, build-n-cut, bulk-n-cut - same things.

And yeah, I could post this on a dedicated forum, but I got good, working advice from Amused/F22 and several others here for my building phase. And since this "beginner" info, it not only serves to answer my questions, but to increase the knowledge base of all those that cared enought to click on this thread, based on title alone.

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Blazin Trav
I would post this on a weight lifting forum.

Are you eating a healthy diet and watching what you eat? Skipping meals never helps.

exactly. John Stone Fitness is where I go. Not anandtech.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
what all do you know about nutrition?

nutrition is the next step in the "health" process (i duno what else to call it). you need to start eating right and that means no skipping meals, eating nutritional meals (4-5 a day, 6 is optimal but hard to do, SMALL ONES), and vitamins.

now to start cutting. if you hate the treadmill (as I do) swim. there is no better cardio workout than swimming laps. if you cant/dont want to swim then either run on a track or trails at your local park. stay away from treadmills and elipticals. aside from making you look retarded (just because everyone is doing them doesnt make you look any less retarded on them), they are nowhere near as good for you. when you run on a track you have to push off to actualy move yourself, on a treadmill you are basically jumping while something slides under you. If you really wanna see some results then id say swim 3 times a week on your off days. do this in the morning as well. any cardio should be done in the morning. then enjoy.

EDIT: see I throw out a helpful post every now and then :)

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
Originally posted by: new2AMD

If thats what you want to call it.

what didnt ya like about it?

just about all of it.

whats factually wrong with it?

are you kidding? Telling someone to saty away from treadmills and ellipticals because you dont push off the ground....where did you get that from?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

just about all of it.

are you kidding? Telling someone to saty away from treadmills and ellipticals because you dont push off the ground....where did you get that from?
He's worried about what he looks like using them:laugh:

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004

just about all of it.

umm its been shown time and time again that treadmills are nowhere near as good as regular running. regular running helps build muscle mass much better than treadmills. eliptical machines are one of the worst things put in a gym. sure there better than nothing but if youre trying to lose fat then do it right and efficiently.

heres a little test for ya. go run 2 miles on a treadmill. time it. then go run 2 miles around a track in the same time and see if you are any more tired. if youre in good shape and 2 miles doesnt get you out of breath up it to 4-5.

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
the bottom line is you told someone to saty off an elliptical or a treadmill because they would look retarded.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

just about all of it.

umm its been shown time and time again that treadmills are nowhere near as good as regular running. regular running helps build muscle mass much better than treadmills. eliptical machines are one of the worst things put in a gym. sure there better than nothing but if youre trying to lose fat then do it right and efficiently.

heres a little test for ya. go run 2 miles on a treadmill. time it. then go run 2 miles around a track in the same time and see if you are any more tired. if youre in good shape and 2 miles doesnt get you out of breath up it to 4-5.
Actually when using the eliptical you can push harder resulting in more calories burned due to less shock on your legs, feet and joints. Now if you are comparing the eliptical and running in Jog mode of course running is better.

BTW I do both, I use the Eliptical when I'm at the gym and run on my days away from the gym.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Actually when using the eliptical you can push harder resulting in more calories burned due to less shock on your legs, feet and joints. Now if you are comparing the eliptical and running in Jog mode of course running is better.

Im confused as to how you can push harder? You are still using the same body weight as resistance. Maybe Im just not understanding what you are saying.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Im confused as to how you can push harder? You are still using the same body weight as resistance. Maybe Im just not understanding what you are saying.
I'm saying that I can work harder with the Eliptical, program it for different settings and not worry about wear and tear on my feet, legs and joints.